Windows 10: Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

Discus and support Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 media on a flash drive,and I was going to load it onto my other laptop that had no OS on it. I got to a screen that had said "Setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tishaun1210, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

I have Windows 10 media on a flash drive,and I was going to load it onto my other laptop that had no OS on it. I got to a screen that had said "Setup is Starting". Then, a box popped up saying," Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available", I checked and the file is there, but I can't continue with the installation. What do I do?

:)

Tishaun1210, Nov 3, 2015

2. Cannot open file. The system cannot find the file specified.

Can anyone help me with this? Everytime I turn on my laptop this always pop up. And I really don't know how to solve this.

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim [​IMG]

laine marie dulanas, Nov 3, 2015
  3. Cannot open file. The system cannot find the file specified.

Hi Laine,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better:

1. Do you have any external devices connected to the PC?

2. Are you facing this issue on a local account or the MSA?

3. Is the issue specific with the mediatek file?

As of now, let's try to perform a clean boot and check, if it works. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

Please feel free to contact us with more information, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Nov 3, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

I would make another USB from a new download as it is possible the current one is corrupted.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    You can download the Windows 10 ISO from here and then delete your USB and create it again. The "full" version is Windows 10 and it can install both Home and Pro depending on previous Windows version or product key. The other versions have some missing feature (eg no IE or Media Player) so avoid them.

spapakons, Nov 3, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    and unless the upgrade is coming from an "N" or "Single Language" edition of Windows 7 or 8/8.1, the "N" and "Single Language" of Windows 10 won't activate anyway. Likewise, if the original Windows 7 was "N" version, than the Windows 10 upgraded to will also have to be "N" version.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Didn't know that detail...

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

1. Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim - Similar Threads - cannot open required

2. Booting from USB: "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting from USB: "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim": Hi all,I'm attempting to completely reinstall Windows 10 on my PC using a bootable USB. I used the Media Creation Tool to create the bootable USB. I have the error "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim". I saw that the bootable USB contains install.esd...
  3. Booting from USB: "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from USB: "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim": Hi all,I'm attempting to completely reinstall Windows 10 on my PC using a bootable USB. I used the Media Creation Tool to create the bootable USB. I have the error "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim". I saw that the bootable USB contains install.esd...
  4. Booting from USB: "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot open .WIM with WSIM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open .WIM with WSIM: I am tasked with imaging multiple machines. I have chosen to use DISM on WinPE to apply a custom .WIM file to the Windows partition. This .WIM contains custom software.How can we modify the .WIM so that OOBE uses an answer key? The only option we want on OOBE is Wi-Fi and...
  6. Cannot open .WIM with WSIM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open .WIM with WSIM: I am tasked with imaging multiple machines. I have chosen to use DISM on WinPE to apply a custom .WIM file to the Windows partition. This .WIM contains custom software.How can we modify the .WIM so that OOBE uses an answer key? The only option we want on OOBE is Wi-Fi and...
  7. Cannot open .WIM with WSIM

8. Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim: [ATTACH] Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim.Make Sure all files required for installation are available,and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007000D...
  9. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  10. how to open wim files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to open wim files: i backed up my files, folders, pictures on a usb drive before it crashed. Purchased a new computer everything loaded, windows 10, now putting in the usb drive everthing is wim files, how do you open them...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot open the required file install.wim flash drive

2. windows cannot open the required file

3. windows cannot open the required file d:\sources\install.wim.

4. Windows cannot open specific file install. wim,
  5. winodws cannot open the required file D:\sources\install\wim