Windows 10: Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

Discus and support Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 media on a flash drive,and I was going to load it onto my other laptop that had no OS on it. I got to a screen that had said "Setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tishaun1210, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

I have Windows 10 media on a flash drive,and I was going to load it onto my other laptop that had no OS on it. I got to a screen that had said "Setup is Starting". Then, a box popped up saying," Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available", I checked and the file is there, but I can't continue with the installation. What do I do?

:)

Tishaun1210, Nov 3, 2015

2. Cannot open file. The system cannot find the file specified.

Can anyone help me with this? Everytime I turn on my laptop this always pop up. And I really don't know how to solve this.

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim [​IMG]

laine marie dulanas, Nov 3, 2015
  3. Cannot open file. The system cannot find the file specified.

Hi Laine,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better:

1. Do you have any external devices connected to the PC?

2. Are you facing this issue on a local account or the MSA?

3. Is the issue specific with the mediatek file?

As of now, let's try to perform a clean boot and check, if it works. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

Please feel free to contact us with more information, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Nov 3, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

I would make another USB from a new download as it is possible the current one is corrupted.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    You can download the Windows 10 ISO from here and then delete your USB and create it again. The "full" version is Windows 10 and it can install both Home and Pro depending on previous Windows version or product key. The other versions have some missing feature (eg no IE or Media Player) so avoid them.

spapakons, Nov 3, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    and unless the upgrade is coming from an "N" or "Single Language" edition of Windows 7 or 8/8.1, the "N" and "Single Language" of Windows 10 won't activate anyway. Likewise, if the original Windows 7 was "N" version, than the Windows 10 upgraded to will also have to be "N" version.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Didn't know that detail...

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim

1. Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim - Similar Threads - cannot open required

2. how do i open a .wim file and use it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i open a .wim file and use it?: I have a series of backup .wim files that I backed up from Win 7. Now I want to open these files and use them in Win 10. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-a-wim-file-and-use-it/a2b2e184-9933-46ce-83c4-5884e54e268f
  3. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  4. cannot open file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot open file: I am facing a new problem. why not this file open and I try several time. can anyone have this solution [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-file/384d2e97-4abc-4947-ade5-14810131338e"
  5. how to open wim files

how to open wim files: i backed up my files, folders, pictures on a usb drive before it crashed. Purchased a new computer everything loaded, windows 10, now putting in the usb drive everthing is wim files, how do you open them...
  6. Cannot open files

Cannot open files: I cannot open files because there is no app that should perform the action. How to install this app or create an association in the default apps setting page? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-files/68dd7bcc-b8cc-4fb8-a249-e680ef9516b3"
  7. convert wim file to vdh

convert wim file to vdh: I have several custom wim files each containing bootable windows 7 images plus applications how do I convert these to a format to run as virtual PC's in VMware or Virtual box. There are many solutions out there (notably using a convert-windowsimage .ps1 in powershell) but...
  8. Windows cannot install required files.

Windows cannot install required files.: I have a Acer Aspire which is bought 5 years back.It was running windows 7 ultimate x64 and has 2 gb ram and 500 gb hdd and intel pentium.Three monts back,there was an unexpected shutdown and when started it again,it shows an error and says that 1.Try installing media using...
  9. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

in Windows 10 Support
    "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens: Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is? 97243
  10. Cannot open files

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open files: Hi- Used Laplink Pcmover Pro to transfer my files from my old computer to the new. Problem is that now I can't open pictures, documents, music on the new computer. Keep getting message that I need permission to open this file. 41881

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot open the required file install.wim flash drive

2. windows cannot open the required file d:\sources\install.wim.

3. Windows cannot open specific file install. wim

4. winodws cannot open the required file D:\sources\install\wim