Windows 10: "Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:"

Discus and support "Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I noticed sometime during the past two weeks, Windows no longer reads blank disks. Regular DVDs are read just fine, but blank ones result in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/-BoardsOfCanada-, Mar 6, 2021.

1. "Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:"

I noticed sometime during the past two weeks, Windows no longer reads blank disks. Regular DVDs are read just fine, but blank ones result in the titular error message. I've replaced the SATA cable, uninstalled the drive, restarted services, etc. Driver is fine, device isn listed as funtioning properly. Any help is appreciated

submitted by /u/-BoardsOfCanada-
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/-BoardsOfCanada-, Mar 6, 2021

2. Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 6, 2021
  3. D: drive

The error come's when I try to load a cd, the drive starts up as if to read the disk and then stops and puts the message up.

It is the cd drive the comes up on the file listing as my drive D

SoaringSteam73, Mar 6, 2021
  4. "Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:"

D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Mar 6, 2021
Thema:

"Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:"

1. "Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:" - Similar Threads - cannot read disk

2. Drive D locked on read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive D locked on read only: All folders on drive D are set to read only and I can't change it. Even with admin priv in command prompt it wont delete. I've set full access for everyone in security. Even if I make a new folder in drive D, I immediately can't delete it. Files seem ok though. How can I get...
  3. Deleted Disk Drive D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Deleted Disk Drive D: I deleted my disk drive D when trying to merge it with drive C to increase storage space Whilst drive D was deleted, the option to expand C was unavailable. I tried doing this in Device Manager. I'm not sure what's happened and how to fix it. Google keeps telling me to...
  4. Windows can't read the disk in drive D:\

Windows can't read the disk in drive D:\: I'm trying to copy a file to a CD-RW but cannot. When I drag the file to the disk in the D: drive, the file will not drop into the disk. The image shows the red circle with the line through it. I tried to copy and paste the file in the disk, but it does not paste. I...
  5. Windows can't read the disk in drive D:\

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows can't read the disk in drive D:\: I'm trying to copy a file to a CD-RW but cannot. When I drag the file to the disk in the D: drive, the file will not drop into the disk. The image shows the red circle with the line through it. I searched online and found that the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service may be...
  6. Floppy disk drive not reading disks

Floppy disk drive not reading disks: I have an external floppy disk drive that I have been using and it has stopped working with the message: "A: is not accessible. The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted."...
  7. Scan Disk D: drive

Scan Disk D: drive: When trying to format scan disk on my laptop, message appears, D: drive not valid drive. What is going on and how can I fix this? The scan disk is a read/write disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scan-disk-d-drive/921a6cdb-488a-47b1-bcc4-3dd96b148227
  8. Disk Drive /d

Disk Drive /d: I cant get disc drive to read a disc. brand new laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-drive-d/016d5e71-76a0-44d9-b911-e980da5acbaf
  9. Disk Drive D

Disk Drive D: Drive (D:) is low on memory space . How do I free up storage space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-drive-d/2f745c9e-c99d-4bea-a2c9-ba8647dc4e85
  10. Disk Drive D

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Drive D: I keep getting a message on my computer that local disk drive D is full however It doesn't show anything to get rid of in that disk drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/disk-drive-d/acf134eb-bb3f-4828-857c-02b6e81e6825