Windows 10: Windows cannot recognize and access external ssd disk

Discus and support Windows cannot recognize and access external ssd disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, Windows cannot recognize the disk, writes that it does not have access to it and does not appear in the disk manager. However, the external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RadoslavSviretsov, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Windows cannot recognize and access external ssd disk

Hello,

Windows cannot recognize the disk, writes that it does not have access to it and does not appear in the disk manager. However, the external drive is recognized by another Windows computer and is operating normally. Therefore, the problem is somewhere in my computer or more precisely in its operating system.

How can I solve it? And no, it's not an option not to use this drive.

Windows cannot recognize  and access external ssd disk caa071fc-718e-4cca-ac49-5bd52a9ccebf?upload=true.png Windows cannot recognize  and access external ssd disk ff9f3aae-c1f4-46e2-bb15-94d6d57730bf?upload=true.png Windows cannot recognize  and access external ssd disk 71839354-dde9-49c2-b31c-db450faa3fbb?upload=true.png

:)

RadoslavSviretsov, Dec 11, 2020
  2. JonOff Win User

External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10

Hello community!

(this topic applies to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 equally)

my question concerns an external 240GB SSD drive connected to my laptop via an USB 3.0 port. The SSD works fine, but when using the "Optimize Drives" utility, the drive is listed as "Hard Disk Drive" under media type. As stated by almost all SSD manufacturers,
    standard defragmentation on a SSD can actually harm the SSD and over time reduce performance and life-cycle. A test revealed that the optimization for the external SSD is actually performed like on a regular HDD and the TRIM command is not used. This would
    also indicate that the regular TRIM commands issued by Windows are not applied to the external SSD drive either. Short of turning off automatic optimization, is there a way to tell Windows that this is an SSD drive and to treat it as such (regardless of
    the information provided by the disk- or case-controller) ?

See also picture attached -

Drive C: is a SanDisk SDSSDXP480GR131 SSD drive built in the laptop and recognized properly as an SSD.

Drive F: is Lite-On LMT-256M6M SSD drive attached via one of the USB3.0 ports and classified as regular HDD.

Windows cannot recognize  and access external ssd disk 4fe8f444-305d-4198-837c-34fbdc8e50d7.png

JonOff, Dec 11, 2020
  3. External drive not recognized

I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized.
    I have tried changing drive letters not able to do that. This happened when I disconnected an hdmi cable, The external drive stopped responded at that point so I unplugged it but when In plugged it back it is not being recognized. I can feel the disk spinning
    so it is working. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

stevemoss2, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Zaki_j Win User

Windows cannot recognize and access external ssd disk

Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Hi Philip,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the external hard drive is not recognized by the PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
    It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try connecting the Hardrive to different USB Port?
    • Does the Hardrive get detected if you try connecting it to a different PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

I suggest you refer and follow the steps mentioned in the KB article and check if that resolves the issueError:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive

Note: Ignore method 2 & 5 from the above article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows cannot recognize and access external ssd disk

1. Windows cannot recognize and access external ssd disk - Similar Threads - cannot recognize access

2. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  3. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  4. Windows not recognizing External ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows not recognizing External ssd: [IMG]Hi there, my hp laptop is not working after an update, and Its going to automatic repair loop. So, I removed ssd hard drive. Im using ssd to usb 3.0 enclouser to connect it to another laptop. but the new laptop cant recognize it. its not even showing up in the...
  5. External hard disk is not recognized?

External hard disk is not recognized?: Is recognized but not displayed in the This PC! Externe Festplatte wird nicht erkannt?
  6. 100 Disk Issue - External SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100 Disk Issue - External SSD?: Hi, I know many people have posted about the 100% disk usage issue. I have a year old Dell Inspiron and its basically been unusable since day 1. It has a HDD. Everyone replies to these posts saying switch to SSD. But how do I do this with a laptop? Can I use am external SSD?...
  7. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  8. Disk Management for External SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management for External SSD drive: I bought a Samsung 500 GB SSD T5 and I'd like to use it without the Samsung app, just as an external drive. Disk management shows it as a 42 MB partition. I'd like to delete this partition and reclaim the rest of my 500 GBs but nothing I do will allow this. Is this an...
  9. External Monitor cannot recognized

External Monitor cannot recognized: My Dell with windows 10 does not recognize this monitor in HDMI one or two no signal floater on Insignia screen * Original title: Insignia monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-cannot-recognized/98621fd0-1f9f-441e-aae2-12857c059a74
  10. Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD: I want to clean install Windows 10 on another hard drive. When the custom dialogue comes up and it asks me which hard drive I want it to go on to, it does not give me the hard drive I want to put it on as an option. It is a 160 GB SSD. Windows 10 was registering it as a...