Windows 10: Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it

Discus and support Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it. If I want my hard drive to be indexed on Windows, I can only search it after it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by desbest, Oct 10, 2020.

1. desbest Win User

Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it

Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it. If I want my hard drive to be indexed on Windows, I can only search it after it has been indexed.

I don't want to remove my external hard drive from my index so I can search it. Surely there's a way to search a hard drive whilst it's being indexed.

So how can I search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing?

:)

desbest, Oct 10, 2020

2. External hard drive indexing information lost

Hi,

It would be great if you can provide me with this information for a better understanding.

1. Did you add the external hard drive to the list of locations to be indexed from the Indexing Options?

2. By mentioning “it's registered as an indexed location” do you mean that you have already done this?

If you haven’t added the external hard disk in the Indexing Options, then I would suggest you to follow these instructions and let’s know the result.

a) Press “windows Logo” + “W” keys on the keyboard to display the “Settings” search bar.

b) Type “Indexing Options” in that search box and press “Enter” key on the keyboard.

c) In the “Indexing Options” window, click on “Modify” button.

d) Under “Change selected locations”, select the external hard disk and add it to the indexing location list.

e) If you are unable to find the hard disk drive in that list, then click on “Show all locations” and check if the hard disk is shown up there.

f) Click on “Ok” and then click on “Close”.

Please let me know, if that helps.

You may now check if the issue still happens or not. If the issue persists, you may get back to us with more information about the issue.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Oct 10, 2020
  3. Dalmango Win User
    Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Oct 10, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it - Similar Threads - cannot search external

2. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open external hard drive: I cannot access the external hard drive, getting this message: The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. Try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.. Nothing has changed on the computer since the last time I opened the...
  3. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot open external hard drive: I cannot access the external hard drive, getting this message: The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. Try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.. Nothing has changed on the computer since the last time I opened the...
  4. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot Format External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Format External Hard Drive: Not able to format my external hard drive as it says it is write protected, ok fine then maybe I'll try to remove the read only attributes but no no no, when I remove the read only attributes from both my disk and volume of that hard drive as most would suggest. After...
  6. Cannot use my external hard drive

Cannot use my external hard drive: First of all. Sorry for bad grammar and punctuation. I'm still learning English! I'm trying to use my external hard drive but nothing will open because I'm pretty sure I messed up the security permissions. I remember being in the security permissions and wondering what would...
  7. Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it

in Cortana
    Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it: Windows cannot search my external hard drive whilst it is indexing it. If I want my hard drive to be indexed on Windows, I can only search it after it has been indexed. I don't want to remove my external hard drive from my index so I can search it. Surely there's a way to...
  8. Searching tags on external hard drive

Searching tags on external hard drive: I normally add tags to files & use them to search specific files when required. Off late I am able to do this for files on my system but if I search files stored on an external hard drive nothing comes up in the search. Is there a way to search tags used in files stored on...
  9. Cannot Format my External Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Format my External Hard drive: When I plug my external into my pc it tells me it's unable to use and to format the drive. So I try to do so, and Windows tells me that there's a program using the external drive. I attempt to format anyway since I know there's no programs using the drive, and after a...
  10. Windows Search REFUSES to index anything on a particular hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search REFUSES to index anything on a particular hard drive: Hello, I'm an advanced user, and I recently clean-installed Windows 10 after having some issues. I gave an expansion drive the letter A:, and after some investigation read that it was likely that assigning a drive letter A or B would preclude Windows from indexing anything...