Windows 10: Windows can't detect second monitor, despite it working on OS startup, and being fully...

Discus and support Windows can't detect second monitor, despite it working on OS startup, and being fully... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been using 2 monitors for weeks now. Today when I came home from work, my second monitor was no longer working. Windows shows that 2 monitors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chaletamale, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Windows can't detect second monitor, despite it working on OS startup, and being fully...

I have been using 2 monitors for weeks now. Today when I came home from work, my second monitor was no longer working. Windows shows that 2 monitors are plugged in, but wont display anything on the second monitor(it says nothing detected). When i press 'detect' it says 'Didnt detect another display'. The 2nd monitor works perfectly fine. I even tried plugging only that monitor into the computer and it worked as the main monitor.

I have tried going into the device manager and uninstalling the Display Adapters. When I do this and restart, the 2nd monitor works again. But then I have no graphic card drivers installed, so the resolution looks like garbage. As soon as I install the drivers back in, the 2nd monitor stops working again. I've also tried syncing both monitor to the same hertz but that did nothing. And of course i tried simply uninstalling the display adapter and reinstalling but when i do that the 2nd monitor never comes on at all. I also tried disabling and enabling.

At this point im completely lost on what to do here. It's clearly a windows 10 issue

Graphic card: Radeon R7 240

:)

chaletamale, Dec 22, 2018
  2. Mike_343 Win User

Windows 10 Does not detect second monitor on startup

Dell Inspiron running two monitors through docking station. Om startup, the second monitor is not detected. However, if I put the system to sleep and then wake it, the second monitor is detected and works. All drivers are up to date. Display settings
    for the second monitor are set to extend.

Mike_343, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    Windows 10 can't detect my second monitor

Thank you for confirming. We can do the following:

When the second monitor is not detected, we need to isolate if it's the monitor, the cable connecting them, or the port. We suggest that you remove your 1st monitor, then use the 2nd monitor as your 1st monitor. After that, connect the 1st monitor as the
    2nd monitor.

Usually, this it's driver-related. Windows 10 won't be able to detect the 2nd monitor if the monitor driver is out of date or faulty. We recommend, rolling back to the previous installed graphics driver and monitor driver if it updated. Otherwise, update your
    graphics and monitor drivers on the Device Manager. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Type Device Manager in the Cortana search bar and press Enter.
    • When the Device Manager window appears, click the Display adapters and right-click the item below.
    • Select Properties, then Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Expand the Monitors, then right-click the second monitor and select Properties.
    • Click the Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists, update the drivers. You can manually update the driver by visiting the websites of your graphics card and monitor manufacturers to get the fully compatible drivers for Windows 10. You can run the Find
    and fix problems with devices and hardware
    to automatically check for driver updates. Additionally, we'd like to know the make and model of your graphics cards and monitor?

Post back anytime at your convenience.

Erika Aro, Dec 22, 2018
  4. Windows can't detect second monitor, despite it working on OS startup, and being fully...

Second monitor not detected

Hello,

May we know if you've already tried the suggestion provided by Robert Aldwinckle on forums on this

thread
    ?

If Windows can't detect your second monitor, it's usually a driver problem. It could be due to your video driver being outdated, incorrect or faulty. It's also possible that your monitor driver is causing the problem.

Since the issue occurred after the latest update, it's possible that the video or monitor drivers require an update. Try looking for the updated version of the drivers on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If the issue persists, try to roll back the drivers to the last good configuration. To do that, you may follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
    • Right-click your device driver, select Properties, and browse to the
      Driver tab.
    • Press the Roll Back Driver option if available, and Windows 10 will begin the process.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

Windows can't detect second monitor, despite it working on OS startup, and being fully...

1. Windows can't detect second monitor, despite it working on OS startup, and being fully... - Similar Threads - can't detect second

2. Second monitor not being detected after shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor not being detected after shut down.: Hi, I was watching a YouTube video when all the sudden my laptop froze. None of my buttons did anything. I couldn't get it to unfreeze so I was forced to hold down the power button and shut down. When I opened my laptop again the display settings had been reset and it wasn't...
  3. Can't detect a second monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't detect a second monitor: HiMy laptop don't find my second monitor, I already try the window's + P, unistalling the drivers and reinstalling again and nothing, the second monitor is always in black.In the past this monitor works but after a windows updated the screen is always blackCan someone help me...
  4. Can't detect a second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't detect a second monitor: HiMy laptop don't find my second monitor, I already try the window's + P, unistalling the drivers and reinstalling again and nothing, the second monitor is always in black.In the past this monitor works but after a windows updated the screen is always blackCan someone help me...
  5. Can't detect a second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. computer can't detect second monitor

computer can't detect second monitor: I recently restored my system from a recovery usb stick. I am currently dual booting Windows and Linux. When I use Linux, my computer can use the second monitor just fine, so the monitor itself works. When I go to Display and click Detect, it says "Didn't detect another...
  7. windows can't detect my second monitor

windows can't detect my second monitor: last week I bought a new monitor. the first time I turn on the monitor it's working properly, the next day unfortunately when I turn on the monitor. my laptop detected and connect the monitor in a few seconds then reject to connect again. as it connected in a few seconds...
  8. Windows can't detect a second monitor.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't detect a second monitor.: Please help me before I lose my mind. I recently took out a screen from my old laptop, got the control board for it and decided to make it a 2nd monitor. As my graphics card only has 1 HMDI output that I use for my main monitor, this second monitor is connected by HDMI (on...
  9. Windows 10 Does not detect second monitor on startup

Windows 10 Does not detect second monitor on startup: Dell Inspiron running two monitors through docking station. Om startup, the second monitor is not detected. However, if I put the system to sleep and then wake it, the second monitor is detected and works. All drivers are up to date. Display settings for the second...
  10. Windows 10 can't detect second monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 can't detect second monitor?: I've seen a few forum posts and even youtube videos about this issue but so far nothing has helped. The problem I have is that occasionally my PC will not detect my second monitor at all, as in its not even shown in display and it can't detect any other monitors and I just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. second monitor not detected

2. second monitor flickering on and off

3. didnt detect another display

4. monitor not detected,
  5. second display not detected,
  6. external monitor not detected,
  7. second screen not detected,
  8. 2nd monitor not detected,
  9. dual monitor not detecting,
  10. monitor is not recognized by computer,
  11. COMPUTER WONT DETECT SECOND MONITOR,