Windows 10: Windows can't detect some external harddrive

Discus and support Windows can't detect some external harddrive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Please help guys.. My win10 can't detect some external harddrive. - The harddrive is listed in disk drives at device manager, but not detected in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by anindyo, Mar 17, 2020.

1. anindyo Win User

Windows can't detect some external harddrive

Please help guys..

My win10 can't detect some external harddrive.

- The harddrive is listed in disk drives at device manager, but not detected in windows explorer and disk management.
    - I've tried to reinstall or update the disk driver at device manager, but still not work.
    - I've tried to disable my antivirus protection while connecting my harddrive.
    - The harddrive that is not detected in my laptop, is detected in other PC/laptop.
    - As I mentioned above, these problems is not affected to all harddrive, just some of them, that I can't understand.

Can someone help me?

:)

anindyo, Mar 17, 2020

2. usb external harddrive is not detected

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

• Have you allocated drive letter for the external drive?
    • Do you get any prompt when you connect the external drive to your PC?
    • Is the external device getting detected under disk manager?

You will be able to view the contents of drives if you have allocated a drive name/letter. If you do not allocate a name/letter and if you try to view it on the PC, it will not be visible.

Connect the external device to the PC and follow the steps below to check if the external drive is getting detected:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows Key + R, type
      diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
    • Check if the external device is detected in this window.
    • If the device is detected as unallocated, right click on the external drive and select
      New Simple Volume option. Follow the onscreen instructions where-in, in one of the page you will be asked to select a drive letter.
    • Assign a drive letter and check if you are able to access the contents of the drive.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 17, 2020
  3. ldybozz Win User
    usb external harddrive is not detected

Have the same issue. But when I right click the options are grey only PROPERTIES and HELP are available. No drive letter is listed. It shows a white arrow going down inside a red circle next to DISK 1

UNKNOWN

931.51 GB

NOT INITIALIZED with a box next to that w/a black stripped header

ldybozz, Mar 17, 2020
  4. matjapp Win User

Recover External HardDrive

I've installed Windows 10 by creating installation media on my 500gb external harddrive. After creating the installation media, my pc can only detected usb with 39gb. How can I recover my external harddrive and all it's files?

matjapp, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows can't detect some external harddrive - Similar Threads - can't detect external

2. External Harddrive not being detected by Windows 11, what is a possible solution?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Harddrive not being detected by Windows 11, what is a possible solution?: Hi I have a Lenovo Legion V and trying to connect my Silicon Power Armor A15 hard to it. and have tried to connect it to my Legion V USB ports. I lost my micro b suber speed cord so I used 2 different micro b cords which both did not work. I used all 3 USB ports on the Legion...
  3. External Harddrive not being detected by Windows 11, what is a possible solution?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Harddrive not being detected by Windows 11, what is a possible solution?: Hi I have a Lenovo Legion V and trying to connect my Silicon Power Armor A15 hard to it. and have tried to connect it to my Legion V USB ports. I lost my micro b suber speed cord so I used 2 different micro b cords which both did not work. I used all 3 USB ports on the Legion...
  4. Exernal Harddrive not detected-verbatim external gaming hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exernal Harddrive not detected-verbatim external gaming hdd: I got Gaming HDD from verbatim but when i plug it in it makes no sound and my laptop doesnt say that anything connected. I already tried updating my laptop, looked in disk manager and reinstalled drivers for usb on my pc but nothing helped. I tried plugging it into my old...
  5. Exernal Harddrive not detected-verbatim external gaming hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exernal Harddrive not detected-verbatim external gaming hdd: I got Gaming HDD from verbatim but when i plug it in it makes no sound and my laptop doesnt say that anything connected. I already tried updating my laptop, looked in disk manager and reinstalled drivers for usb on my pc but nothing helped. I tried plugging it into my old...
  6. External harddrive connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External harddrive connection: I have connected my 4tb external hard drive to my laptop, but it does not appear in "this pc". It is connected and working, but I can't access it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-harddrive-connection/90bbad1b-3610-4b99-a879-6aae1350a4be
  7. Windows can't detect some external harddrive

Windows can't detect some external harddrive: Please help guys.. My win10 can't detect some external harddrive. - The harddrive is listed in disk drives at device manager, but not detected in windows explorer and disk management. - I've tried to reinstall or update the disk driver at device manager, but still not work....
  8. External Harddrive Issues

External Harddrive Issues: I just purchased a new ASUS laptop. Im going from a Macbook pro to windows 10. My external hard drive has worked on a windows laptop i had years ago (an ASUS also) and on my macbook without issue. When i plug my external hard drive into my laptop it makes the sounds that I’ve...
  9. external harddrive

external harddrive: My computer recognizes the harddrive . States it is working properly but will not allow me to open it. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-harddrive/0aba405c-3d6d-4a2d-afb4-771e92c416ed
  10. external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external harddrive: HI ALL I NEED DESPERATE HELP IM PANICKING I DID SOMETHING WITH MY EXTERNAL HDD I TOOK SHARING OFF BY MISTAKE AND ITS LIKE MY LIFE ON THE HDD IT SAYS H; NOT ACCESSIBLE AND ACCESS DENIED HOW DO I FX IT...