Windows 10: Windows can't open this type of file (.doc)

Discus and support Windows can't open this type of file (.doc) in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; That's what it claims just now. It's a .doc file created in Word 97. I have letters written in Word 97, can edit them etc. It's more of a... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Stanley1961, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Windows can't open this type of file (.doc)

That's what it claims just now.

It's a .doc file created in Word 97.

I have letters written in Word 97, can edit them etc.

It's more of a curiosity than anything else.

But why does it do this?

:)

Stanley1961, Dec 16, 2019

2. Windows 10 - how to open an XML file by default USING the correct M/S program (XLS, DOC or PPT)?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected.

I'd be glad to help you.

I suggest you to open XLS, DOC, XML or PPT file formats in the latest Microsoft office application available.

To open the XLS, DOC, XML or PPT file formats in Microsoft office as default program follow these steps below:

• Type Default programs in the search bar on Windows 10.
    • Associate a file type or protocol with a program under
      Choose the program that Windows use by default in the Default Program
      Window.
    • Select the .xml file type in the Associate a file type or protocol with a program
      Window and click on Ok.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the updated information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Dec 16, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 16, 2019
  4. Windows can't open this type of file (.doc)

Incopatability with Google Docs

Hi Ba,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that Google Docs print option not working as expected.

Try with a different browser and check if it works.

It could be a browser or browser's settings issue.

I suggest you to run the Printer Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• In Search window type Troubleshooting and click on it to open it.

• Click on Hardware and Sound.

• Then click on Printer to run the troubleshooter. Follow onscreen steps.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows can't open this type of file (.doc)

1. Windows can't open this type of file (.doc) - Similar Threads - can't open type

2. Powerpoint Can't Open This Type Of File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powerpoint Can't Open This Type Of File: Recently used Recuva to recover a download I accidentally deleted. And every time I click on the download it shows this. I want to use the download normally again. Without having remake it or having to delete it. What should I do?...
  3. Powerpoint Can't Open This Type Of File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powerpoint Can't Open This Type Of File: Recently used Recuva to recover a download I accidentally deleted. And every time I click on the download it shows this. I want to use the download normally again. Without having remake it or having to delete it. What should I do?...
  4. Powerpoint can't open this type of file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powerpoint can't open this type of file: Recently used recuva to recover a download I accidentally deleted. And everytime i click on the download it shows this just want to use the download normally. What should I do?...
  5. Powerpoint can't open this type of file

Powerpoint can't open this type of file: Recently used recuva to recover a download I accidentally deleted. And everytime i click on the download it shows this just want to use the download normally. What should I do?...
  6. Can't open doc files using Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open doc files using Internet Explorer: I can't open doc files using IE 10 NOW MY OS ON MY HP LAPTOP IS WINDOWS 10. EARLIER MY OS ON MY HP LAPTOP WAS WIN 8 I WAS GIVEN FREE WIN 10 UPGRADE. I CANT USE DOC FILE FOR CREATION SAVE AND EDIT. OLD DOC FILES SAVED UNDER IE 10 CANT BE OPEN UNDER WIN 10. I CAN'T...
  7. Why can't I open my docs?

Why can't I open my docs?: I don't have word or office, I just scan stuff then download it where it needs to go. Now I can't read anything because it goes to word pad and just get garbage. I have not changed anything because I don't know how, but if I can't read them or upload them I'm in big trouble....
  8. Open doc and PC loses focus - cursor not blinking in doc - cannot type

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Open doc and PC loses focus - cursor not blinking in doc - cannot type: At work, on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit (version 1903) machine with Office 2016 (I think 32-bit), when I open a Word document, it appears full-screen, but the "focus" of the machine is not in the document. If I start typing, nothing happens. Then I notice the cursor is not blinking...
  9. Can't open a Word Doc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open a Word Doc.: Can't open a Word Doc saved less than 24 hours ago. The message I get is file is either deleted or not available at this time. I didn't delete it. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-a-word-doc/6c951d89-266a-4331-853f-4c10aa286679
  10. can't identify or open unknown file type

in Windows 10 Support
    can't identify or open unknown file type: I have run across some video files that, although tagged as MP4, cannot be played on my VLC player, KM player, or Windows Media Player. File Identifier (File Identifier - Identify unknown files instantly) shows info as attached. Please tell me how to deal with these files so...