Windows 10: Windows "Can't reactivate windows on this device" and only tells me to "try again later"

Discus and support Windows "Can't reactivate windows on this device" and only tells me to "try again later" in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Obviously as it is late on Christmas I have just finished upgrading my 5-6 year old PC. I knew full well that I would most likely end up with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MooTwo23, Dec 25, 2018.

1. MooTwo23 Win User

Windows "Can't reactivate windows on this device" and only tells me to "try again later"

Obviously as it is late on Christmas I have just finished upgrading my 5-6 year old PC. I knew full well that I would most likely end up with a deactivated copy of Windows so I tied my Microsoft Account to my PC to help in reactivation as Microsoft suggests. Unfortunately after troubleshooting and selecting my device windows only gives me this error:

"
    Unable to active Windows

We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later

"

It gives me no reason as to WHY it can't reactive and offers NO solution or further troubleshooting. I haven't found another person with this issue yet so here I am. I'm not sure if I should just sleep on it and wait till tomorrow when there may be less stress on servers(?) or what but I would definitely like to have my legitimate copy of Windows back.

Thank you for any help.

:)

MooTwo23, Dec 25, 2018
  2. Boyfriend Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Dec 25, 2018
  3. kg4icg Win User
    Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, Dec 25, 2018
  4. Sachy2007 Win User

Windows "Can't reactivate windows on this device" and only tells me to "try again later"

Reactivation Failed

I have just recently replaced my motherboard/processor and I reformatted my windows hard drive. I gone through the hardware changes steps, I chose the old machine listed on my account and clicked on ACTIVATE.

It now tells me that:

"Unable to activate Windows

We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."

What am I missing here?

Sachy2007, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows "Can't reactivate windows on this device" and only tells me to "try again later" - Similar Threads - Can't reactivate device

2. Getting "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." error after Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." error after Windows...: I activated Windows 11 using the same hardware that I currently have in my computer. Earlier today I noticed that Windows had deactivated for some reason, stating that I had changed hardware although I have not changed anything. When I go through the troubleshooter to...
  3. Getting "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." error after Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." error after Windows...: I activated Windows 11 using the same hardware that I currently have in my computer. Earlier today I noticed that Windows had deactivated for some reason, stating that I had changed hardware although I have not changed anything. When I go through the troubleshooter to...
  4. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.: I just upgraded my Windows 11 Pro computer's motherboard and graphics card. The hard drives are the same, as well as the chassis and rest of the equipment. When I try to re-activate my retail licence Order 6340678291 I get the subject line error. I've run the troubleshooter,...
  5. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.: I just upgraded my Windows 11 Pro computer's motherboard and graphics card. The hard drives are the same, as well as the chassis and rest of the equipment. When I try to re-activate my retail licence Order 6340678291 I get the subject line error. I've run the troubleshooter,...
  6. Try again later cant unlink device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Try again later cant unlink device: I had trouble with minecraft so i tried to unlink the PCs that i dont use anymore, all of them said try again later, i followed and the only thing i got in an hour is just one of my PCs got unlinked. Im sad, anyone help me please. thanks...
  7. "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" - Problems while transferring...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" - Problems while transferring...: I have an old and now slow PC with a Windows 10 pro license. As a replacement I've built a new PC with new hardware and am trying to transfer the license to the new PC. I still have access to the old PC, I just won't be using it anymore. The old PC has the Microsoft account...
  8. Unable to activate Windows We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

Unable to activate Windows We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.: [ATTACH] Each time I pick my PC from the List it is showing me this. I have a Digital copy of windows as I updated it from Windows 8.1 and I'm worried now that my license is revoked or something. What should I do? I do not have lose £220, and I'm not happy to ditch Windows...
  9. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. (No Error Code)

We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. (No Error Code): I recently made a big hardware change. Before I do so I linked my microsoft account with my digital license on the old build. Now in my new PC I went to Activation settings and clicked troubleshoot, then clicked "I changed hardware on this device recently." afterwards It...
  10. We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.: Hi, i can't activate my windows and i don't know why. I got a new pc and installed windows. Logged into my microsoft account. But now it just wont activate and tells me to try later. I tried it multiple times over the past week but it does not work. I don't know if i got...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. we can’t reactivate windows on this device. try again later.

2. we cant reactivate windows on this device

3. we cant reactivate windows on this device. try again later

4. we cant reactivate windows on this device try again later,
  5. unable to activate windows can’t reactivate windows on this device. try again later.learn more,
  6. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.Learn moreYou can also activate this device by going to the Store and purchasing a genuine copy of Windows.Go to Store,
  7. unable to activate windowswe can’t reactivate windows on this device. try again later.learn moreyou can also activate this device by going to the store and purchasing a genuine copy of windows.,
  8. windows cant be reactived on this device try again later,
  9. windows 10 hardware change we can’t reactivate windows on this device. try again later.,
  10. Unable to activate WindowsWe can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.,
  11. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later windows 10 anniversary,
  12. windows 10 we cant reactivate windows from these devices,
  13. reactivate windows 10 cant find my device,
  14. we cant activate windows try again later,
  15. cant reactivate windows on this device