Windows 10: Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

Discus and support Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I see many questions but have seen no suggestions. Here is my situation. I had an activated copy of windows 7. I upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kimmarch-force, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

Split from this thread.​

I see many questions but have seen no suggestions. Here is my situation. I had an activated copy of windows 7. I upgraded this to windows 10 when that was first an option. I have run windows update many times over the last few years. I know that in 2020 I was able to see the DVD drive in the file explorer and was able to read, play, or otherwise use the contents of the media. I recently turned on the computer after leaving it alone for months. I ran windows update it now shows that everything is current.

I am not able to see the DVD drive. This is true whether I try a blank unformatted disc or one that has data that I can read on another machine. When I boot I have the machine set up to dual boot and use the same hardware I am able to read/write/play DVD contents under Linux. My first thought is that somehow there is no longer a driver or that the driver got corrupted. I see advice to run the "hardware and device troubleshooter" but this seems to be no longer available on this latest windows 10 update.

Do you have any idea how I can proceed? Has that troubleshooter been eliminated?

Thanks

:)

kimmarch-force, Apr 17, 2021

2. laptop DVD drive not appearing on windows?

Well my cousin is coming down soon with his laptop to get his DVD drive fixed because on my computers his DVD drive isn't appeared on the list,he can eject his DVD drive but it doesn't appear on windows..anyone know how to fix this?? would entering bios help?? would i be able to format it?

kurosagi01, Apr 17, 2021
  3. DVD RW Drive

Hi Julia,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are having a tough time working on the computer.

Please provide us the following information:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• What is the exact\complete error message?
    Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives .

• Right click on the driver and select
      Update Driver Software.

• Restart the computer.
    Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Do update us with the details, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 17, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03370738

Thema:

Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

1. Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months. - Similar Threads - can't DVD drive

2. can't see network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't see network computers: can't see network computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-network-computers/96a1d87b-e1dc-4f59-8db5-a035eb374cd9
  3. Can't find DVD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't find DVD drive: I am using my wife's PC as mine has died. I have kept her C drive but replaced her D drive with mine. It picks up both HDDs OK but can't see the DVD drive in disc management. I have double checked all connsctions and all are fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  4. Can't see computers on the network

Can't see computers on the network: I've tried soooo many things. I'll try to lay out all the facts and if anything comes to mind that might work, please let me know. I have Spectrum cable with an Arris cable modem. It goes to an Eero wireless unit. That goes to a little switch, which is wired to 2...
  5. Can't see mapped drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't see mapped drives: I'm not too sure how to describe my problem so I'll put as many details as I can. I'm using FreeNAS for sharing SMB shares. SMB3_11 is enabled. I'm not sure how to check if Windows is using 3_11 but I'm assuming it is. On my Windows 10 machine, I've mounted several SMB...
  6. Can't see computer in network

Can't see computer in network: My laptop and desktop are connected via crossover cable, I can ping and remote connect between them with a response, but for some reason they aren't showing up in the file explorer network...
  7. Unused computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unused computer: My computer has not been used for a while and I need to know what type of updates are needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unused-computer/cec10aca-21d7-4248-a08b-5f5ff62ed5c5
  8. can't not see the map network drive in computer

can't not see the map network drive in computer: I have the problem with network drive appearing in the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-not-see-the-map-network-drive-in-computer/83ea0731-2190-4513-9b57-3b9820e1c6b5
  9. Can't click on anything a few seconds after starting computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't click on anything a few seconds after starting computer.: When I turn on my computer at first everything works fine, then it plays the sound when you plug in a usb drive and then I can't click on anything. The mouse still moves like normal, and the keyboard isn't affected. I can sign out and sign back in for it to let me click...
  10. Can't see computer on network

Can't see computer on network: Hi there, I have a desktop and a laptop at home which I use for work. I need to access the desktop files using the laptop, and vice versa. I had it working before (i.e. I could see and access the laptop via the desktop and vice versa) but it's stopped for some reason. I...