Windows 10: Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

Discus and support Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I see many questions but have seen no suggestions. Here is my situation. I had an activated copy of windows 7. I upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kimmarch-force, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

Split from this thread.​

I see many questions but have seen no suggestions. Here is my situation. I had an activated copy of windows 7. I upgraded this to windows 10 when that was first an option. I have run windows update many times over the last few years. I know that in 2020 I was able to see the DVD drive in the file explorer and was able to read, play, or otherwise use the contents of the media. I recently turned on the computer after leaving it alone for months. I ran windows update it now shows that everything is current.

I am not able to see the DVD drive. This is true whether I try a blank unformatted disc or one that has data that I can read on another machine. When I boot I have the machine set up to dual boot and use the same hardware I am able to read/write/play DVD contents under Linux. My first thought is that somehow there is no longer a driver or that the driver got corrupted. I see advice to run the "hardware and device troubleshooter" but this seems to be no longer available on this latest windows 10 update.

Do you have any idea how I can proceed? Has that troubleshooter been eliminated?

Thanks

:)

kimmarch-force, Apr 17, 2021

2. laptop DVD drive not appearing on windows?

Well my cousin is coming down soon with his laptop to get his DVD drive fixed because on my computers his DVD drive isn't appeared on the list,he can eject his DVD drive but it doesn't appear on windows..anyone know how to fix this?? would entering bios help?? would i be able to format it?

kurosagi01, Apr 17, 2021
  3. DVD RW Drive

Hi Julia,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are having a tough time working on the computer.

Please provide us the following information:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• What is the exact\complete error message?
    Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives .

• Right click on the driver and select
      Update Driver Software.

• Restart the computer.
    Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Do update us with the details, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 17, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03370738

Thema:

Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months.

1. Windows can't see the DVD drive after the computer went unused for a few months. - Similar Threads - can't DVD drive

2. I bought Minecraft on my PS4 it was working but after a few months it went to Minecraft is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I bought Minecraft on my PS4 it was working but after a few months it went to Minecraft is...: Help me fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-bought-minecraft-on-my-ps4-it-was-working-but/da2af698-183a-4353-99d1-a175e7793326
  3. I bought Minecraft on my PS4 it was working but after a few months it went to Minecraft is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I bought Minecraft on my PS4 it was working but after a few months it went to Minecraft is...: Help me fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-bought-minecraft-on-my-ps4-it-was-working-but/da2af698-183a-4353-99d1-a175e7793326
  4. Can't see DVD drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't see DVD drives: Hello:I have installed windows server 2016 essential and I can see my two DVD drives in Device Manager, however, they do not show up in file explorer. How do I fix this so that I can see the drives in file explorer, thanks, Allen...
  5. Can't see DVD drives

Can't see DVD drives: Hello:I have installed windows server 2016 essential and I can see my two DVD drives in Device Manager, however, they do not show up in file explorer. How do I fix this so that I can see the drives in file explorer, thanks, Allen...
  6. Monthly Subscription payment went through, but I'm still seeing ads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monthly Subscription payment went through, but I'm still seeing ads: Solitaire Premium Edition - Monthly Subscription - Payment hit my bank but I'm still seeing ads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monthly-subscription-payment-went-through-but-im/460983c8-664e-4133-8906-7fbe764e42a6
  7. Monthly Subscription payment went through, but I'm still seeing ads

Monthly Subscription payment went through, but I'm still seeing ads: Solitaire Premium Edition - Monthly Subscription - Payment hit my bank but I'm still seeing ads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monthly-subscription-payment-went-through-but-im/460983c8-664e-4133-8906-7fbe764e42a6
  8. My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive: I've recently decided to use my Rioddas external DVD drive model number: BT638 on my Windows 11 laptop. However, when I plugged my external DVD drive in my laptop, the drive would power on, but the laptop doesn't recognize it. In fact, the DVD drive wouldn't show up in Device...
  9. My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive: I've recently decided to use my Rioddas external DVD drive model number: BT638 on my Windows 11 laptop. However, when I plugged my external DVD drive in my laptop, the drive would power on, but the laptop doesn't recognize it. In fact, the DVD drive wouldn't show up in Device...
  10. can't not see the map network drive in computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't not see the map network drive in computer: I have the problem with network drive appearing in the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-not-see-the-map-network-drive-in-computer/83ea0731-2190-4513-9b57-3b9820e1c6b5