Windows 10: Windows can't shut off screens if I have 2 screens connected

Discus and support Windows can't shut off screens if I have 2 screens connected in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a PC with Windows 10 Home x64, last build/version. The PC has an i5 10600 and a GTX 1070, with 2 screens from ASUS: one via HDMI and another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rambomhtri, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Windows can't shut off screens if I have 2 screens connected

Hi, I have a PC with Windows 10 Home x64, last build/version. The PC has an i5 10600 and a GTX 1070, with 2 screens from ASUS: one via HDMI and another one via DisplayPort, both connected to the GPU.

The problem is that when I have 2 screens connected, Windows can not shut off the screens after 20 minutes, it doesn't work no matter how much time I put, not even the screen saver comes in after setting it to appear after 5 minutes of inactivity.

I'm quite savvy about PCs and W10 configuration, the install is fresh, everything is fine. Indeed, if I connect only 1 monitor, suddenly it all works fine, the PC shuts it off and the screen saver also works. It's something about dual display what unleash hell.

I've tried to see if the nVIDIA control panel has any option that is cancelling this out, but I see nothing related to this. It's really annoying that the 2 screens stay turned on always, the only thing I can do is locking the PC, in which case the secondary screen turns black, not even off, and the primary screen... stays on. A real waste of electricity.

:)

rambomhtri, Sep 22, 2020

2. Laptop loads to Windows 10 logo then blue screen and shuts off

shadowthefire,

What brand/model laptop is this?

Try the following:

Step 1: Make sure the computer is shut down, and press the Power Button to turn the computer on.

Step 2: As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off again.

Step 3: Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the following on the screen: Preparing Automatic Repair
    Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.

Step 4: The next screen (blue) goes to: Choose Account to continue
    Select your account, enter your Password, and press: Continue

Step 5: A Diagnosing your PC screen appears, and it takes you to the screen for: Automatic Repair

Step 6: Here you can click Restart, or, Advanced Options
    Step 6.1: Select: Restart

Allow the computer to go through the routine, and see if it solves the issue.

If the problem still exists, go back to Step 1 through Step 6.

Step 6.2: This time, click: Advanced Options

Step 7: In the Choose an Option screen, select: Troubleshoot

Step 8: At the next screen, select: Advanced Options

Step 9: Last, select: Startup Repair (Used for problems that keep Windows 10 from loading)

Please provide an update.

cottonball, Sep 22, 2020
  3. Dann Win User
    Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death!

This is the first time i have ever got the blue screen, but it keeps on occurring, and so i cannot get onto that hard drive, it shuts down within a second of the blue screen showing itself, which doesnt give me any time to read it lol. So i am completely confused as there is no Path of: "C:\WINDOWS\Minidump" as well

Thanks for the help, do you have any further suggestions ?

4. Virus-j Win User

Windows can't shut off screens if I have 2 screens connected

Toshiba Laptop Black Screen

I have a Toshiba Laptop, Was reinstalling windows 7 on it last night left it doing the updates then shut it down. Turned it on this this afternoon only to find the laptop screen is Black and also there is a burning smell coming from the Fan.

I connected the Laptop to a external monitor that is fine, Can go into bios, Windows boots up fine Etc.
    Just took apart the laptop earlier to check all the cables where in correctly, Checked the motherboard over for any damage, burnt bits but but found nothing. Just put it back together now but im still getting this burning smell and i still cant use the laptop screen only a external screen.

I Tried Pressing FN+F5 to switch to the laptop screen, But still black screen. Any Suggestions please ?

Thanks

Virus-j, Sep 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows can't shut off screens if I have 2 screens connected

1. Windows can't shut off screens if I have 2 screens connected - Similar Threads - can't shut off

2. Computer screen shuts off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer screen shuts off.: Every single time I play Minecraft my computer screen will go dark after about 30 minutes of me playing and there's no way to get it back on again. I have to shut down my computer entirely and boot it back up and it comes back on completely fine most of the time. When playing...
  3. Computer screen shuts off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer screen shuts off.: Every single time I play Minecraft my computer screen will go dark after about 30 minutes of me playing and there's no way to get it back on again. I have to shut down my computer entirely and boot it back up and it comes back on completely fine most of the time. When playing...
  4. Computer screen shuts off.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11 crashing at screen shut off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 crashing at screen shut off: I've maxed out my patience with this computer. I have an HP Omen 15, and since January 15, 2022, my device began occasionally crashing and rebooting when the screen goes black. I don't have sleep enabled, but this happens about 30 seconds after the screen goes dark. Last...
  6. Screen shuts off

Screen shuts off: Hello, I have an hp pavillion dy0001nxI just bought it yesterday and when im using tablet mode and using pen the screen suddenly turned off even it was 100%. And when it didnt the urn on normally by pressing the button. I had to plug it in and then when it turned on it had 2%...
  7. Monitor And Screen Shut Off ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor And Screen Shut Off ?: Hello, Have a new LG Monitor, but pretty sure that this is a W10 issue. (but maybe not ?) I want the screen to shut off after 5 minutes. So, I have it set to that. But, it always comes back on by itself. Absolutely no vibration or jiggling of the keyboard, etc. that might...
  8. Blue Screen then shuts off

Blue Screen then shuts off: So when I turn on my home PC I get the blue screen with the stop code 0xc0000135 it then shuts off after reaching 100%. Then when I go to the automatic repair and try to uninstall the recent update and it asks for my account password and then proceeds to tell me it's...
  9. Blue Screen then shut off

Blue Screen then shut off: So when I turn on my home PC I get the blue screen with the stop code 0xc0000135 it then shuts off after reaching 100%. Then when I go to the automatic repair and try to uninstall the recent update and it asks for my account password and then proceeds to tell me it's...
  10. Windows can't shut off screens if I have 2 screens connected

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows can't shut off screens if I have 2 screens connected: Hi, I have a PC with Windows 10 Home x64, last build/version. The PC has an i5 10600 and a GTX 1070, with 2 screens from ASUS: one via HDMI and another one via DisplayPort, both connected to the GPU. The problem is that when I have 2 screens connected, Windows can not shut...