Windows 10: Windows can't update even after clean install

Discus and support Windows can't update even after clean install in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This problem has plagued my pc for about a year, I encountered the infamous “We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes” error about a year ago.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Elaias_Mat, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Windows can't update even after clean install

This problem has plagued my pc for about a year, I encountered the infamous “We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes” error about a year ago. It was only solved by a complete format and reinstall of the latest version of windows.

About a month later the error appeared again, this time I created a USB drive using the MediaCreationTool and updated windows, it worked.

Then it happened again, two times, wait a month>bugs>fresh install>wait a month>bugs>fresh.....

This last time I just left my windows outdated and kept using it "as is" until 2 days ago. Now I did a clean install but I formated the drive as 75gb for C: and 390gb for D: (500gb hdd) so I had an easier time formatting next time something happens, and it happened today.

-It isn't a problem with a specific update because it happened in multiple versions

-It isn't a problem with a program I have installed since it happens on a clean install

-It isn't a problem on the HDD since a clean install works

I think it might be some sort of incompatibility of windows with some hardware on my pc, chipset or something like that. I'll just keep using it out-of-date and when the inevitable SSD upgrade comes I'll post the result here.

submitted by /u/Elaias_Mat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Elaias_Mat, Jan 13, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 13, 2021
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 13, 2021
  4. jds21 Win User

Windows can't update even after clean install

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Windows can't update even after clean install

1. Windows can't update even after clean install - Similar Threads - can't update clean

2. Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.: A few days ago, my laptop updated, but then failed to load windows. It cycled twice with a message saying failed to and windows was collecting some details. The third time it took me to a recovery menu. None of the the repair or rollback options worked. In order to use a...
  3. Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.: A few days ago, my laptop updated, but then failed to load windows. It cycled twice with a message saying failed to and windows was collecting some details. The third time it took me to a recovery menu. None of the the repair or rollback options worked. In order to use a...
  4. Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Random BSODs even after clean windows install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSODs even after clean windows install: Since January my laptop has been getting Random BSODs, the error codes are different, but the most common one is IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL. The crashes used to happen rarely and I never thought much about it. They got worse and I decided to update to Windows 11. They got...
  6. Windows getting stuck even after clean installation.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows getting stuck even after clean installation.: Hey everyone,After every clean installation of windows 10, windows become unresponsive whil either working or while installing anything.Then when I force restart, it gets stuck on loading screen. This has been happening after every clean windows installation....
  7. BSOD even after clean install of Windows

BSOD even after clean install of Windows: Hi guys, I've been having BSODs randomly throughout the day for the past 2 weeks, did all kinds of debugging trying to address it with no luck. Just did a fresh install last night and ran windows memtest with no error overnight but this morning I got 2 more BSOD. System...
  8. BSOD Even After Clean Windows Install

BSOD Even After Clean Windows Install: About a month or two ago I started getting BSOD while gaming. I tried a bunch of troubleshooting steps and nothing worked, so I decided to go for a clean Windows install. I didn't keep any personal files. I didn't get a BSOD for a few days, then it started up again. I get one...
  9. February update: can't even do a clean install

February update: can't even do a clean install: Using automatic updates, the system is now "dead". System tried automatic repair: failed Tried restore: STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error Tried repair from USB Media creation tool on another PC: started on same automatic repair loop Tried full install: winload.exe error In...
  10. Windows 10 Update 1903 Stuck even after clean install

Windows 10 Update 1903 Stuck even after clean install: Hi guys. I have a laptop which has Windows 10 build 1803, and it never updated to newer releases I don't know why, but still functions normally, so I never really cared about it. But since support is coming to an end for 1803, I decided to update. The update downloads...