Windows 10: Windows change screens after computer turns off monitor

Discus and support Windows change screens after computer turns off monitor in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Dell Workstation connected to an external monitor, and every time the computer idles and turns off the monitors, all my windows are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Pmonasterio, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Windows change screens after computer turns off monitor

Hi,

I have a Dell Workstation connected to an external monitor, and every time the computer idles and turns off the monitors, all my windows are replaced in the primary screen and resized to a lower resolution. This behavior started right after a windows 10 version 1903 update in October 2019.

I have tried everything there's out there (i.e., looking for ghost monitors, updating display drivers, changing display ports, reinstalling display drivers from scratch), and nothing seems to work. It behaves as if I disconnected the cables from the external monitor (Which I don't) every time it shuts off.

A couple of weird things I noticed is that after a while, the borders of explorer windows disappear along with the shadow of the active windows, and the brightness sporadically goes back to 0 on its own (No light sensor on this machine). It is very baffling, but very annoying since I have to choose between security from my computer locking every time I leave my desk or manually rearranging all my windows every time I come back.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

:)

Pmonasterio, Nov 12, 2019
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Nov 12, 2019
  3. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Nov 12, 2019
  4. Windows change screens after computer turns off monitor

Changed screen size

Hi,

For us to better assist with your concern on screen size, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Did you make any changes or updates to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?
    • Have you tried changing the screen resolution of your monitor?

To change the screen resolution, you can check the steps below to change your screen resolution.

• On Desktop mode, right click and choose Display settings.
    • On the right pane, click Display.
    • On Resolution, choose the recommended screen resolution for your monitor.
    • Once your done, click on Keep changes.

For more information to get the best display of your monitor, refer to this
    article

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows change screens after computer turns off monitor

1. Windows change screens after computer turns off monitor - Similar Threads - change screens computer

2. Monitor turns on after timed 'screen off' in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor turns on after timed 'screen off' in Windows 11: Just recently, my PC has stated showing an odd behaviour in Windows 11: I set the screen to turn off after 3 minutes and the PC to sleep in 10, but then in around 4-8 minutes after I stop working with the PC and after the screen is already off because the 3-min window is up,...
  3. Monitor turns on after timed 'screen off' in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor turns on after timed 'screen off' in Windows 11: Just recently, my PC has stated showing an odd behaviour in Windows 11: I set the screen to turn off after 3 minutes and the PC to sleep in 10, but then in around 4-8 minutes after I stop working with the PC and after the screen is already off because the 3-min window is up,...
  4. My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...: For clarification, I have my display to turn off after ten minutes of inactivity and usually, the monitor would go off and stay off until the mouse was moved or a key pressed. Recently I've noticed that after the ten minutes elapses, the monitor goes to turn off and then...
  5. Monitor powers on after computer turns it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor powers on after computer turns it off: Trying to find how to keep monitor off after I lock the PC. What I do: 1. Monitor powers off after 1 minute when PC is locked 2. In few seconds computer plays sound like it detects new hardware, monitors wakes up and shows "No Cable Connected". 3. Then monitor turns off....
  6. Screen Resolution Stuck After Turning Monitor Off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen Resolution Stuck After Turning Monitor Off: I built a PC for gaming recently and encountered some strange behavior. Namely, if I turn the (1440p, DP) monitor off with the computer on, the resolution switches to 1024x768 (with the option of 800x600) and will not switch back until I reboot. Has anyone seen this?...
  7. Monitor will not display anything after computer turns off screen for power saving.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor will not display anything after computer turns off screen for power saving.: My screen is set to the default time to turn off to save power. Just built a new computer. I used the same graphics card, monitor, mouse, and keyboard as my old computer. Unfortunately, it seems something is wrong with the new computer that causes it not to turn back on. The...
  8. Screen resolution changes when monitor is turned off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution changes when monitor is turned off: Hi guys. First off lemme start by praising the people who run and post on this board, it's an endless mine of informations and a never ending academy for learning all the tips and tricks of anything pc-related...so keep up the good work guys! Unfortunately I'm writing here...
  9. Black screen after turning monitor off and on

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen after turning monitor off and on: Hello all I have a desktop PC, running windows 10 video card NVIDIA GTX 750Ti driver 364.72 (newest) Dual Monitor : BENQ connected with Digital Port HP connected with DVI Problem: if I switch the BENQ monitor off, when I turn it on again it displays a...
  10. Monitor turns off after boot!

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor turns off after boot!: I think I' ve screwed something :-( I've installed the latest insider on my desktop as it works fine on the netbook, and now the screen turns off after the boot screen, the computer doesn't hang and seems to show signs of working (HDD light flashing). The video card is OK....