Windows 10: Windows changes printer default

Discus and support Windows changes printer default in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have seen this problem discussed before but never seen an answer that worked. Since the last upgrade, windows defaults to OneNote as a printer even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WadeBB, Aug 27, 2019.

1. WadeBB Win User

Windows changes printer default

I have seen this problem discussed before but never seen an answer that worked. Since the last upgrade, windows defaults to OneNote as a printer even though my HP is the default in settings. I do not have the "Let Windows..." box checked and I have re-installed all my physical printers to no avail. Finally, deleted OneNote as a device but now it defaults to the PDF virtual printer. Seems windows now will not accept a physical printer as the default. Is there a good answer to this problem?

:)

WadeBB, Aug 27, 2019

2. Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 27, 2019
  3. Can't change printer preferences in Windows 10

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

• What exactly happens when you try to go into printer driver settings from Control Panel?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps:

Step 1:

• Type change default printer and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Step 2:

• Type printers and scanners and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Windows changes printer default

Windows 10 - Cannot Set Printer Default

Hi Marc,

I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot state and then try to make the default printer.

Perform clean boot to identify if any 3rd party service is causing this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow
    Step 3 from the link to start the computer to
    Normal startup mode.

Note: Also applies to Windows 10.

To make printer as a default printer you can follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key+ X and select
      device manager

• Select devices and printers

• Right click on the printer you want to use, and then click
      set as default printer (You'll see a check mark on the printer's icon signifying that it's now your default printer).
    Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows changes printer default

1. Windows changes printer default - Similar Threads - changes printer default

2. Windows keeps changing default printers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps changing default printers: I have two session hosts in Azure VDI that I am using for user sessions with FSLogix being utilized for user profiles. I have multiple users whose default printer keeps changing to a "virtual" printer such as the Adobe PDF printer or a Webex Printer that is installed. This...
  3. Windows keeps changing default printers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keeps changing default printers: I have two session hosts in Azure VDI that I am using for user sessions with FSLogix being utilized for user profiles. I have multiple users whose default printer keeps changing to a "virtual" printer such as the Adobe PDF printer or a Webex Printer that is installed. This...
  4. Windows keeps changing default printers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  6. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  7. Default Printer keeps changing

Default Printer keeps changing: it seems whenever i use a PDF printer like Microsoft Print to PDF or PDF Factory, my default printer changes to that PDF printer even though i have the option to let windows select the printer set to off. Is there a way to stop this?...
  8. Cannot Change Default Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot Change Default Printer: In settings, under Devices, I have set a particular printer as default, with the green check mark. When I try to print in Word or Excel, it always defaults to OneNote. Within Word or Excel, I cannot right click the correct printer to set as default. I can select it and print...
  9. Default printer changes

Default printer changes: [img] [img] I use a samsung printer as my default printer. I also have a Dymo labelwriter 450 twin turbo. When i print a lable on my dymo printer win 10 will set the dymo to my default printer which i obviously don't want. I have "Let windows manage my default printer"...
  10. Change printer default settings

Change printer default settings: How do you change printer default settings from color to black and white on windows 10? I have office365 also. Does that make a difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/change-printer-default-settings/6f785f32-dec4-448c-8259-0dfc85477859