Windows 10: Windows claims Internet but browsers don't see

Discus and support Windows claims Internet but browsers don't see in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is a 10-month-old Dell desktop in average home use, wired, Win10 Pro, virus scan clean, no recent software or hardware changes. Suddenly today, no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mark99k, Dec 20, 2018.

1. mark99k Win User

Windows claims Internet but browsers don't see

This is a 10-month-old Dell desktop in average home use, wired, Win10 Pro, virus scan clean, no recent software or hardware changes. Suddenly today, no internet.

The ISP isn't down and the connection is fine (tried another PC). But Chrome says 'No internet' and Firefox/IE/Edge all complain re proxy server. Windows troubleshooter says: The remote device or resource won't accept the connection.

Updated the ethernet driver, no change. Did a System Restore, no change. Device manager says adapter (Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller) is working properly. Here's where it gets weird(er):

Settings>Network says "You're connected to the Internet." And IE Internet Options> Connections>Setup says the same. I also just pinged www.dell.com and it came back fine (4/4/0). So there def is a connection, just not one a browser can use! Finally, and most oddly, there is no Network icon in the tray. (It's not set as hidden in Settings, and I'm pretty sure it's never disappeared before.)

Tried Dell support, who wants to sell me $200 worth of extra warranty (on a PC purchased this year), vaguely claiming their experts could fix this without a much-dreaded Full Reset. The agent implied it must be a Windows issue, not hardware, and the warranty only covers the latter.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to networking & connectivity issues but even I can tell this is a special kind of kaka. Where do I start? And if you can help me, where do you want your statue?

TIA
    Mark

:)

mark99k, Dec 20, 2018
  2. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Windows claims Internet but browsers don't see wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

3. Error: "Internet Explorer is not responding" and "Website not responding" while accessing the browser on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your response and information.

As Windows 10 as Microsoft Edge in-built browser, I suggest you to try that browser and check if this issue persists.

For the issues with Internet Explorer try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click onInternet Explorer Performance and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to turn off and on Internet Explorer and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + R, type Control Panel
      and hit Enter.
    • Click on Programs and Features.
    • Click on Turn Windows features on or off from the left pane.
    • Uncheck Internet Explorer, click on Ok.
    • Restart the computer and repeat the same as above to place a check mark on Internet Explorer.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 20, 2018
  4. Windows claims Internet but browsers don't see

AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad Core Overclocking possibility

Thanks, have heard this before...is their a step by step procedure to OC using the bios settings you suggest.
    i don’t intend pushing this to its limit...but some increase would be great, any suggestions on a good air cooler ?

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

Windows claims Internet but browsers don't see

1. Windows claims Internet but browsers don't see - Similar Threads - claims Internet browsers

2. Internet Browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Browser: 23.3.2022Hello,I have heard that on Win 11 the only Browser allowed is Edge. I do not want to use Edge, I would like to use Opera and/or firefox and do not like being hemmed in on my choices.Is it possible to use Opera and Firefox on Win11 without any problems? If not, this...
  3. Internet Browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Browser: 23.3.2022Hello,I have heard that on Win 11 the only Browser allowed is Edge. I do not want to use Edge, I would like to use Opera and/or firefox and do not like being hemmed in on my choices.Is it possible to use Opera and Firefox on Win11 without any problems? If not, this...
  4. Apps don't connect to the internet only my browser does

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Apps don't connect to the internet only my browser does: None of my apps connect to the internet, except my browser. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-dont-connect-to-the-internet-only-my-browser/b53d649c-a63c-48df-af48-96103ea88000
  5. claims internet connection is needed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    claims internet connection is needed: When I tried to print out a return label for Amazon, instead of going straight to my printer as prints normally do it opens up a window to sign in through Microsoft. So I jump through all the hoops signing in and giving my password. It tells me I need an internet connection...
  6. Scam Claim Browser is Corrupted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scam Claim Browser is Corrupted: Immediately after installing the 19041 upgrade, while I was reading a techraider review of claws email, I got a message saying it was from "disapproval" dot and a extension, claiming the Edge browser was corrupt and a phone number I googled and found was from Phoenix....
  7. don't see internet options

don't see internet options: I just changed to new modem and now I cannot see "internet options" on one of my networking desk top. Is there a solution to this issue. I get error 651 too. Thanks!...
  8. Internet browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Internet browsers: Hello folks, I am wondering if there is a specific web browser that works particularly well with Windows 10 I have been using Firefox but lately this seems to be very erratic and so I am thinking of using something else. I have done this via Microsoft Edge but, I find...
  9. Internet Connection But Browsers Don't Work, Periodically

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Connection But Browsers Don't Work, Periodically: After having my laptop on for a few hours I encounter a situation where I clearly have an internet connection but my browsers do not work, (both Firefox and Edge). What's weird is, on firefox, it will usually go to home page (google) and google will search, but from there...
  10. No connection to internet though Windows claims to be 'Connected'

No connection to internet though Windows claims to be 'Connected': I have an odd error on my Windows 10 (Version 1607- Build 14393.576) machine - I am on a LAN connection to my router, and the network status is 'Network Internet Access' but I don't have any connection to the internet through Outlook, Firefox and Edge (there may be others...