Windows 10: Windows clean install from media creation tool says "...activated with a digital license" -...

Discus and support Windows clean install from media creation tool says "...activated with a digital license" -... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On my home PC I used the "create Windows 10 installation media" tool and used the resulting USB to install Win10 on a laptop I purchased second hand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tallosaurus, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Windows clean install from media creation tool says "...activated with a digital license" -...

On my home PC I used the "create Windows 10 installation media" tool and used the resulting USB to install Win10 on a laptop I purchased second hand that had been wiped to BIOS UEFI screen shows at boot. Install went fine as did all updates.

During the install I did NOT link it to my Microsoft account as I was testing the health of the PC before decided what to do with it.

The Settings / Activation status shows "Windows is activated with a digital licence"

I //think// this is being picked up from the licensing servers based on the hardwareID, but I can't find anywhere that confirms this?

So have I just got lucky and it's retaining the volume licensing from a previous install?

I can't think of any reason/circumstance where it would licence based on being created from my home PC?!

:)

Tallosaurus, Dec 17, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

About Windows 10 media creation tool

Hi Naman, yes absolutely, once your Windows is activated before the installation, a clean install with bootable installation media created with the Media Creation tool will result in a genuine and automatically activated version of Windows 10

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

DaveM121, Dec 17, 2020
  3. Windows Media Creation Tool Error 0x80070079-0xA001A

Your USB thumb drive needs to be at least 8 GBs.

The error code 0x80070079-0xA001A means that the tool doesn't have permission for it to run. For us to assist you, we suggest that you
    follow the simple steps listed below:

• Right-click on the Media Creation Tool.exe.

• Press Properties.

• Click on General.

• At the bottom, click on Unblock.

• Press Apply, and then OK.
    Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

You can also download the ISO first using the Media Creation Tool, then create a bootable copy. Yes, you can use it to perform clean install.

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Windows clean install from media creation tool says "...activated with a digital license" -...

Activate windows 10 after a clean install through digital license.

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows clean install from media creation tool says "...activated with a digital license" -...

1. Windows clean install from media creation tool says "...activated with a digital license" -... - Similar Threads - clean install media

2. windows asking for license after installing iso from media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows asking for license after installing iso from media creation tool: i installed windows 11 to go on my steam deck via the iso from media creation tool. when i go to change the background it says i need to activate windows yet i already have a genuine license on the computer i got the iso from. usually it should come bundled in but now it wont...
  3. windows asking for license after installing iso from media creation tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows asking for license after installing iso from media creation tool: i installed windows 11 to go on my steam deck via the iso from media creation tool. when i go to change the background it says i need to activate windows yet i already have a genuine license on the computer i got the iso from. usually it should come bundled in but now it wont...
  4. Clean Win10 install using Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Win10 install using Media Creation Tool: I have a HP Slimline basic machine with I3, 2.9 gHz processor and one 4GB stick of RAM. It seems slow to start and shut down in Windows. Of course it has a bunch of HP junkware on it. Can I run a fresh install from Windows Creation Tool USB? Would this help? The machine is...
  5. Windows 10 20H2 CLEAN INSTALL (From Media Creation Tool)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 20H2 CLEAN INSTALL (From Media Creation Tool): When ever you try to copy a file or shortcut to c:\ or even Desktop file explorer crashes. with the following error in the logs. Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.19041.662, time stamp: 0x996782f8Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version:...
  6. media creation tool license

media creation tool license: I just got the media creation tool to create a bootable usb for my other computer. I was wondering whether it will copy the license i have on my computer and use it for the bootable drive/other computer, or will it just leave the bootable drive with no activation and it just...
  7. Windows Media Creation Tool 1903 License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Media Creation Tool 1903 License: On this current computer, I have installed Windows 10 via the Windows Media Creation Tool with a successful installation. I am using my Microsoft account, however the installation did not activate Windows Error code 0x803F7001, although previous installations of this tool did...
  8. Media Creation Tool and Digital License Queries

Media Creation Tool and Digital License Queries: Hi folks, I have THREE different Media Creation Tools - one from August 2016, one from August 2018 (labelled 1803) and one from August 2019 (labelled 1903). Does it matter which tool I run in order to get a backup copy of Windows 10? In other words, when I run the tool,...
  9. Clean install with USB created by Media Creation Tool

Clean install with USB created by Media Creation Tool: I use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. When Ive clean installed Ive always waited until the installation has completely finished and Im at the Windows desktop. Only then do I remove the Windows 10 USB flash drive. The USB flash drive stays inserted until...
  10. There isn't an option to use my digital license on the media creation tool

There isn't an option to use my digital license on the media creation tool: Any suggestions ? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/there-isnt-an-option-to-use-my-digital-license-on/b8ed2a4c-01ff-4a8d-a211-07f4d2fb5ef2