Windows 10: Windows Commonly Becomes Unresponsive, C: Drive %100 Usage

Discus and support Windows Commonly Becomes Unresponsive, C: Drive %100 Usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Every once in awhile the program I am using becomes unresponsive, then everything on my screen becomes unresponsive, then my mouse freezes. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by oliver_cool103, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Windows Commonly Becomes Unresponsive, C: Drive %100 Usage

Every once in awhile the program I am using becomes unresponsive, then everything on my screen becomes unresponsive, then my mouse freezes. This happens three to four a day and I keep Task Manager always open to see if I can pinpoint the problem. When I had it on the Performance tab I noticed that when this happens my disk usage for my C: drive shoots up to %100. Then I tried the Processes tab and I made it sort by disk usage, I waited for the glitch to happen and when it did no visible processes were taking up all my drive. I tried wiping my C: drive and re-installing windows and the problem persisted. This is driving me crazy!

:)

oliver_cool103, Oct 11, 2019

2. Windows Commonly Becomes Unresponsive, C: Drive %100 Usage

Every once in awhile the program I am using becomes unresponsive, then everything on my screen becomes unresponsive, then my mouse freezes. This happens three to four a day and I keep Task Manager always open to see if I can pinpoint the problem. When
    I had it on the Performance tab I noticed that when this happens my disk usage for my C: drive shoots up to %100. Then I tried the Processes tab and I made it sort by disk usage, I waited for the glitch to happen and when it did no visible processes were taking
    up all my drive. I tried wiping my C: drive and re-installing windows and the problem persisted. This is driving me crazy!

oliver_cool103, Nov 29, 2019
  3. Windows Commonly Becomes Unresponsive, C: Drive %100 Usage

I couldn't locate Superfetch in "services.msc", I reset my power plan defaults and I don't use any third-party antivirus. I fail to see how resetting my power plan would do anything considering I haven't touched that since I clean installed Windows.

You seem to talk a lot about my CPU and I think you misunderstood my problem. It is my C: Drive is not behaving properly, it is a Samsung 860 PRO 256GB.

oliver_cool103, Nov 29, 2019
  4. RoshanV S Win User

Windows Commonly Becomes Unresponsive, C: Drive %100 Usage

Hi oliver_cool103,

Sorry that I mentioned CPU instead of Disk usage. Here are some other methods you could try:

Method 1:

Change Settings in Google Chrome

1. In Google Chrome, go to "Settings".

2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Advanced".

3. In the "Privacy and security" category, make sure the "Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly" is turned off. In addition, ensure that "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" is disabled in "System" settings.

Change Skype Settings

1. Make sure that your Skype is quitted in the Taskbar.

2. Open Windows Explorer and open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\".

3. Right click "Skype.exe" and choose "Properties" from the context menu. Then open the "Security" tab and select "Edit".

4. Highlight "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and then check the "Write" box. Finally, click "Apply", "OK" and then "OK" again to save changes.

Method 2:

Disable Windows Search

in order to temporarily Disable Windows Search

1. Press "Win+X" combination keys and select "Command Prompt (Admin)". Then allow its user account control.

2. In the Command Prompt window, type "net.exe stop “Windows search”" (image attached) and hit the Enter key. Check if your disk usage and the performance of your computer improve. If YES, you should permanently disable

Permanently Disable Windows Search

1. Press "Win+R" combination keys to call out the Run box, then type "services.msc" and hit Enter.

2. Locate "Windows Search" and double-click it to enter its "Properties" window.

3. Change the Startup type option to "Disabled". Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save your change.

Method 3:

Disable SuperFetch Service

1. Press "Win+X" combination keys, then choose "Command Prompt (Admin)" and allow its user account control.

2. In the Command Prompt window, type "net.exe stop superfetch" and hit the Enter key. Wait for a few minutes and check if your computer starts performing better.

Method 4:

Uninstall any flash player updates:

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > View your update history > Uninstall updates. Then uninstall the flash player update.

Method 5:

Reset Virtual Memory

1. Press "Win+Pause/Break" keys to call out "System" information. Then choose "Advanced system settings" on the left panel.

2. Go to the "Advanced" tab, and click "Settings".

3. Go to the "Advanced" tab, and choose "Change…" in the Virtual memory section.

4. Make sure "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is NOT checked. Then highlight your system drive and customize the Initial size and Maximum size for your virtual memory. Finally, click "Set", and then "OK" to continue.

a. Initial size: this value can vary depending on your computer. If you're not sure what

value to enter, just enter the recommended number.

b. Maximum size: it is recommended to set this value 1.5 times the size of your

physical RAM. If you PC has a 4GB (4096 MB) RAM, the value should be no more

than about 6,144 MB (4096 MB x 1.5).

5. Now it is time to clear all temporary files on your PC. Press "Win+R" keys to call out the Run dialogue, then type "temp" and hit Enter. This will invoke Windows Explorer, with your Temp folder open.

6. Select all the files in the Temp folder and delete them.

Method 6:

Disable Windows Update Service

1. Press Win+R then type "services.msc" and press "OK".

2. Scroll down to find "Windows Update" and double-click on it.

3. In the pop-up window, drop down the Startup type box and choose “Disabled”. Then press “Stop”, “Apply” and “OK” orderly.

RoshanV S, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Commonly Becomes Unresponsive, C: Drive %100 Usage - Similar Threads - Commonly Becomes Unresponsive

2. C disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C disk usage at 100%: I've been having the problem for the past couple days now and I'm unsure what could cause this. I've tried disabling sysmain and other things inside services, since according to many tutorials it should have fixed it, but it never did. The disk usage is at 100% most of the...
  3. C disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C disk usage at 100%: I've been having the problem for the past couple days now and I'm unsure what could cause this. I've tried disabling sysmain and other things inside services, since according to many tutorials it should have fixed it, but it never did. The disk usage is at 100% most of the...
  4. C disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. C drive 100% usage and crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive 100% usage and crash: Whenever I’m running an intense game like warzone or rust my computer will freeze and crash. I have had my task manager open before crashes and it shows my c drive spiking to 100% then my computer crashes. The most common bsod I get is Whea_uncorrectable_errorBut recently I...
  6. C drive 100% usage and crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive 100% usage and crash: Whenever I’m running an intense game like warzone or rust my computer will freeze and crash. I have had my task manager open before crashes and it shows my c drive spiking to 100% then my computer crashes. The most common bsod I get is Whea_uncorrectable_errorBut recently I...
  7. C drive 100% usage and crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Program and drive become unresponsive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Program and drive become unresponsive: Hello everyone, i am facing weird difficulty here, recently every time i retrieve data from my E: drive then program become unresponsive and E: drive as well. After that Drive usage remain 100% with no data in or out. I run check disk, scannow/sfc and few others utilities...
  9. "Scan drive for error" Windows 10 become unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Scan drive for error" Windows 10 become unresponsive: I've been facing this problem for the last 1 month, I have tried several things to fix this issue but its not working. My laptop becomes very very slow and unresponsive when the notification "scan drive for error" appear. I'm facing problem with Drive F which is not even the...
  10. 100% Disk 0 C: Drive usage? Is there a reason why my C drive is constantly at 100% usage?...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk 0 C: Drive usage? Is there a reason why my C drive is constantly at 100% usage?...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Trever5005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gfcrh4/100_disk_0_c_drive_usage_is_there_a_reason_why_my/