Windows 10: Windows Connection Manager service terminates

Discus and support Windows Connection Manager service terminates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I work in an enterprise environment and I have three Dell Precision 5530 Windows 10 Enterprise laptops that all have the same problem. When I connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RickSenske, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Windows Connection Manager service terminates

I work in an enterprise environment and I have three Dell Precision 5530 Windows 10 Enterprise laptops that all have the same problem.

When I connect the laptop to the domain, the Ethernet adapter will disable itself after about 1 minute. If I remove the laptop from the domain and reset the GPOs and security policies back to default, the computer will connect just fine and the adapter does not disable itself. My domain has 500+ computers (Windows 10/2012/2016 and Redhat) and this problem doesn't exist on any other computer. Since these computers exist in a R&D secure closed enclave, I can't upload diagnostics from any of the computers unfortunately.

The Dell 5530 does not come with an Ethernet adapter. Instead it comes with a USB3 dongle that connects into the Thunderbolt port. I'll mention right up front that for this problem, I've also attempted to use a separate USB-to-Ethernet adapter in the USB port and got the exact same problem (on all 3 computers). Therefore I've written off the problem existing in the dongles or adapters themselves and the USB-to-Ethernet adapters work fine on several other laptops I have on the domain.

Once added to the domain, the adapter will work for a very short amount of time and then the following messages will pop-up in the system log:

-The Windows Connection Manager service terminated unexpectedly. It has done the 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: restart the service (Event ID 7031). It will do this 3X and then:

-Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance. And then:

-Connectivity state in standby: Connected, Reason: None.

Among the things I've done:

-Re-imaged the laptops several times both from WDS and from DVD.

-Tweaked/changed nearly every setting in the bios dealing with network connectivity and/or power.

-Tweaked/changed nearly every setting in the bios dealing with USB/Thunderbolt.

-Ran the command "sc config wcmsvc type=own" since it was killing the audio and biometric services too.

-Changed network cables/drops.

-Updated all the drivers/firmware/bios for every device.

-And a bunch of other stuff I can't recall at the moment.

-Run the network and connection troubleshooters. They just fail outright with no specific reason given.

-Set the Windows Connection Manager Service to *always* restart after fail (but this doesn't seem to change anything).

-Tweaked all of the setting in the driver configuration to no avail, but that wouldn't explain the domain/non-domain issue anyhow.

It appears to me that if I had to guess it would all point towards a domain security policy, but none that appear obvious to me, especially since every other computer on the network works just fine. I should add that the network is INFOSEC STIG-complaint, so none of the security policies and/or GPOs can be changed with out cause and documentation. We do run McAfee Host-Based Security System, but all this troubleshooting was done without it or anti-virus installed on the clients.

I think I've lost a full head of hair over this the last week. If anyone has ANY ideas, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks for listening.

:)

RickSenske, Dec 4, 2018
  2. PClarke Win User

Terminal Service for WM6

I am looking for terminal service to run on my att 8525 with WM6. I need to connect to through a VPN to server 2k terminal servers. I was able to do this with WM5 but I can not connect RDP to my servers. Does anyone have a suggestion?

PClarke, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Sync from a Terminal Services Session?

Environment:

- Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition

- Users login to Terminal Services Sessions

- Office 2007

- Windows Mobile devices

We want to be able to sync the Windows Mobile devices from within the Terminal Services Sessions.

Via USB connections on the Local Desktop PC or Laptop?

Via a Network Connection?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

db

Douglas Brantley, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Windows Connection Manager service terminates

Unable to Connect to Logical Disk Manager Service Error in Computer Management

WELL, I'll be an "S.O.B."! I got it... lol, just now!

Apparently, & I am going to record this & BOOKMARK/FAV it in my webbrowsers as "HOW TO FIX LOGICAL DISK MANAGER HASSLES" (lol), it is SOMETHING in my services!

You need THIS list of them running (provided you have them online that is, some OS won't have SOME of these (this is Windows Server 2003) & some are 3rd party & won't matter):

Windows Connection Manager service terminates SERVICESNEEDEDFORLOGICALDISKMGT2SERVICES.jpg

* NO SAFE MODE REQUIRED - THIS FIXED IT, PURELY SERVICES RELATED... oddly, no "dependencies" other than the ones the services need (RPC & Plug n Play) are listed in the 2 services for Logical Disk Management... it's like MS missed (somehow) the fact that there IS other dependencies on other services than what they list!

That list above is PROBABLY "overkill" & it is only a fraction of that list above, but the point is there... with ALL of those active? Logical Disk Manager "gets its act together" again & works!

APK

P.S.=> BRB, with screenshot of services & their startup status needed for this to work, in case anyone else hits this... it is a real you-know-what if you can't get to a disk to format it, lol... so, recording it for everyone's sake! apk

Alec§taar, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Connection Manager service terminates

1. Windows Connection Manager service terminates - Similar Threads - Connection Manager service

2. Error - Service Control Manager - Event ID 7031 - The Cron Service Terminated Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error - Service Control Manager - Event ID 7031 - The Cron Service Terminated Unexpectedly: Hello. I'm having an issue where my PC is waking up from sleep nearly constantly, and so I decided to investigate. In both the powercfg command prompt, as well as what is listed under power in the event viewer, I can find nothing as an inherent cause. However I saw something...
  3. Error - Service Control Manager - Event ID 7031 - The Cron Service Terminated Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error - Service Control Manager - Event ID 7031 - The Cron Service Terminated Unexpectedly: Hello. I'm having an issue where my PC is waking up from sleep nearly constantly, and so I decided to investigate. In both the powercfg command prompt, as well as what is listed under power in the event viewer, I can find nothing as an inherent cause. However I saw something...
  4. Error - Service Control Manager - Event ID 7031 - The Cron Service Terminated Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Audio Service terminated unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Audio Service terminated unexpectedly: Acer Nitro 5 with Windows 11 Os Build 22621.2070Windows does not detect any input or output audio devices. No test sounds are able to be played and no devices are available to enable/disable. On the Windows Event Viewer, I am seeing and error with Event ID 7031:Text: The...
  6. Connected Devices Platform Service terminated unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Connected Devices Platform Service terminated unexpectedly: Good evening, I keep getting a LOT of errors within EventVwr and suspect this is why my system locks up now and again, without any other error messages: The Connected Devices Platform Service service terminated with the following error: Unspecified error And The...
  7. Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated: Hello, I have problem with Windows Defender on Windows 10 Home (20H2 version). I'm still getting this error in Event Viewer: The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error: General access denied error I already tried to use sfc /scannow...
  8. The Connected Devices Platform Service service terminated, Event ID 7023

in Windows 10 News
    The Connected Devices Platform Service service terminated, Event ID 7023: [ATTACH]Whenever something fails on Windows, a service, a program, or anything, it is logged into Event viewer. One such Event ID 7023. It is associated […] This article The Connected Devices Platform Service service terminated, Event ID 7023 first appeared on...
  9. Windows Connection Manager service hanging on start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Connection Manager service hanging on start: Hello, I have had a very tricky problem with my Windows 10 system since Thursday. After a reboot my WiFi adaptor would not connect. I traced the problem to service the WLAN autoconfig service depends on, Windows Connection Manager wcmsvc, which is not starting correctly....
  10. Windows Search Service Terminated

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Search Service Terminated: Basic problem is slow start-up and very slow opening files and programs. Here is history of the computer... Original OS was Windows 7 Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10, all worked OK Windows 10 updated with Anniversary Update, problem began I first looked in the System Log...