Windows 10: Windows constantly prompts for default app for images

Discus and support Windows constantly prompts for default app for images in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is new behavior. Up until today (or maybe yesterday), when I double-clicked on a .jpg or .png file, it opened in Microsoft Office Picture Manager,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Windows constantly prompts for default app for images

This is new behavior. Up until today (or maybe yesterday), when I double-clicked on a .jpg or .png file, it opened in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, which is selected as the default for these file types. Now I get this:

Windows constantly prompts for default app for images 05923a53-e55c-4424-a1d2-50dec5004937?upload=true.png

Needless to say, checking the box for "Always use this app" and clicking OK makes no difference. I'm guessing this has something to do with an attempt to push the Photos app.

I had a similar problem with links in Outlook, and the problem was solved by https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3094186/you-are-prompted-to-specify-internet-explorer-when-you-click-a-link-in.

Is there a similar Registry edit for this annoyance?

:)

Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 default image viewer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps in order to change the default image viewer to Paint.

• In search,
    • Type Default Programs.
    • Check whether Windows Photo Viewer is listed in the list.
    • Left click on the photo viewer and select the option paint.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Sep 16, 2018
  3. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Sep 16, 2018
  4. Windows constantly prompts for default app for images

Keeps changing all my default apps

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time. As I understand the system is not retaining default app settings.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

Try to run SFC scan and check.

It scans for damaged system files. Right-click the Start icon and select
    Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt window, type
    sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Then type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and hit Enter.

Try to change the default browser.

• Go to Start > Settings > System.

• Choose Default apps, then scroll down to Web browser.

• Tap or click the browser that’s currently listed as your default, then select the browser from the list of apps.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

Windows constantly prompts for default app for images

1. Windows constantly prompts for default app for images - Similar Threads - constantly prompts default

2. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  3. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  4. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?: I would like to set the default for a file type to prompt me to choose which app I want to use. I have two apps that use the same file type and want the ability to choose between them on the fly. How do I do this? I also have a problem that the file type .ris does not show up...
  5. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?: I would like to set the default for a file type to prompt me to choose which app I want to use. I have two apps that use the same file type and want the ability to choose between them on the fly. How do I do this? I also have a problem that the file type .ris does not show up...
  6. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Default Image program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Image program: Hi,For years I have used Irfan View as my default Image program but since I purchased a new Laptop with Windows 11 I can find no way to do that. The nearest I found is to make each file extension use Irfan view, As you can imagine, there are far too many files to do that. So,...
  8. Default Image program

Default Image program: Hi,For years I have used Irfan View as my default Image program but since I purchased a new Laptop with Windows 11 I can find no way to do that. The nearest I found is to make each file extension use Irfan view, As you can imagine, there are far too many files to do that. So,...
  9. constant prompts to update win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    constant prompts to update win10: I have Windows 10 Home version 1709 OS Build 16299.1087 on my desktop computer. Lately (i.e. for the last two+ weeks) I get a steady stream of notifications re: a pending update. According to my computer's update history these updates are for versions 1803 and they...
  10. Reinstall default apps from image file

Reinstall default apps from image file: Hi, I've messed a lot with the pre-installed apps, but now decided to reinstall them. I've deleted everything under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. Then I copied the same directory from Windows ISO and pasted there. Also I set the folder to default permissions. Then I...