Windows 10: Windows constantly select an extra invisible character when I highlight something

Discus and support Windows constantly select an extra invisible character when I highlight something in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there! Im encountering a little problem on Windows since I've been using my laptop (roughly a month). For the record I come from OSx and I never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by VladimirPudding, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Windows constantly select an extra invisible character when I highlight something

Hi there!

Im encountering a little problem on Windows since I've been using my laptop (roughly a month). For the record I come from OSx and I never had that problem before.

Long story short whenever I double-left-click on a word, windows selects the text +1 (1 being an invisible character).

So basically whenever I select something I always have that invisible gap after the text selected.

The problem is that Im currently creating a script on AutoHotKey to automatise a certain task and the script triggers when I select something..the problem being I always end up with that invisible gap which is quite irritating.

As far as I remember whenever I selected a word on OSx I didnt have that problem.

Does someone know what might be the cause?

:)

VladimirPudding, Nov 30, 2018

2. Print of highlighted selection Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for responding. I suggest you to provide this as a feedback on
    Microsoft Edge to Microsoft, please follow the steps below to write a feedback:

• Type Feedback in the Search box on the
      Task bar.
    • Select Windows Feedback.
    • Click on Add new feedback and write your feedback.

Feel free to contact us for any assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you

SujataMoktan, Nov 30, 2018
  3. JohnHaber Win User
    Extra characters in dictionary app

I have a program I've been using a long time, through various versions of Windows (but not Windows 8, which I never used). It's Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (much faster and more easily searchable or browsable than online dictionaries).

In installing it on my new computer, with Windows 10, the menu bar looks fine, my word entry in the top search bar looks fine, and the word list in response in a left-hand column looks fine. However, in the main screen, with dictionary entries and definitions,
    many such show extra characters. It's always the same extra characters: a ligature of a capital A and E. If I'm not mistaken, it also shows only when an entry is two words (such as "Ferris wheel"). The extra characters then appear twice, although, oddly enough,
    not in a consistent position such as surrounding the word space or at the end of words.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, after living with it for a couple of weeks. No use. Any ideas? It can't depend on a truly bizarre font, I imagine, as it's an old and thus not so sophisticated program and always used to work.

JohnHaber, Nov 30, 2018
  4. ZaxxonQ Win User

Windows constantly select an extra invisible character when I highlight something

List View File Select/Highlight Issue

After the recent Windows 10 Creators Update, when I view files in List View and highlight or select them, it also selects the empty space beside the file names based on the file with the longest name. It used to be just the file icon and the characters in
    the file name. I used that empty area after the file name often. Now, I always seem to be highlighting a file or folder. It's very inconvenient.

Is there any way to change this back so that just the icon and name are able to be highlighted/selected? I really would like all that empty usable space back!

Please see example I found:
    http://i.imgur.com/sP0j7tJ.png

Windows constantly select an extra invisible character when I highlight something 076836ac-a9f7-45ee-8828-3569912bd192.png

ZaxxonQ, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

Windows constantly select an extra invisible character when I highlight something

1. Windows constantly select an extra invisible character when I highlight something - Similar Threads - constantly select extra

2. Extra whitespace when selecting virtually any text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extra whitespace when selecting virtually any text: In Windows, there is a multi-decade long annoying, useless feature: when selecting text, extra whitespace is selected after the text/word/paragraph, etc.This whitespace includes spaces, tabs, newlines, etc., depending on the context.This is one the most stupid things ever...
  3. Extra whitespace when selecting virtually any text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extra whitespace when selecting virtually any text: In Windows, there is a multi-decade long annoying, useless feature: when selecting text, extra whitespace is selected after the text/word/paragraph, etc.This whitespace includes spaces, tabs, newlines, etc., depending on the context.This is one the most stupid things ever...
  4. problems with moving selected text with the mouse. When I want to move the highlighted...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    problems with moving selected text with the mouse. When I want to move the highlighted...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mem_tv13gachi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/vpy6zq/problems_with_moving_selected_text_with_the_mouse/
  5. unable to select suggested character for traditional character

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to select suggested character for traditional character: Hello, I on Windows 10 in Taiwan and want to use hanyu pinyin input for traditional characters I can't read zhuyin. The problem is when I type in pinyin, the suggested characters that usually appear underneath are not showing. Instead, it just enters the most frequent...
  6. Windows highlights every selection when clicking on an option in any menu and I can't...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows highlights every selection when clicking on an option in any menu and I can't...: Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question but I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on. I'm not sure if it's my mouse, PC, windows 10, or something else. I'm trying my best to describe the issue but please let me know if I can provide anymore...
  7. Windows 10 Home: Cursor highlights character when I move it with arrow keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Home: Cursor highlights character when I move it with arrow keys: How can I fix this? video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKW5PZW4dg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1CJ_gl9yDmxaRK65lbC0hhfDt9rDyQ4k6T3Shg32aITNL1YQX4LdByCug...
  8. Extra characters when typing

in Windows 10 Support
    Extra characters when typing: When I type a word in a text app like Mail, every word is preceded with an extra character, usually a lower case m. 144560
  9. Files don't highlight to be selected, column width bar is now invisible; Using Windows 10 1803

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files don't highlight to be selected, column width bar is now invisible; Using Windows 10 1803: All of a sudden, files inside of my folders no longer highlight when I click on them. I can only either open a file or rename it. I can't "select" fles so I, therefore, can't select several in a row. Also, the bar that can be selected at the top of a folder to move...
  10. Creators Update Files in explorer no longer highlighted when selected

in Windows 10 Support
    Creators Update Files in explorer no longer highlighted when selected: After the latest Creators Update, when I open a folder and select a file (Or select few or all files) the selected files are no longer highlighted like before. You can't see what file is selected. Even in "my computer" selecting a drive C: D: etc dose not highlight the...