Windows 10: Windows consults dns.google so I cannot access servers on local network

Discus and support Windows consults dns.google so I cannot access servers on local network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a wired LAN in home office; connected are a few Windows systems and a non-Windows server, that offers DHCP and DNS services (amongst others) to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WillemGrooters, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Windows consults dns.google so I cannot access servers on local network

I have a wired LAN in home office; connected are a few Windows systems and a non-Windows server, that offers DHCP and DNS services (amongst others) to the LAN. Protocol is IP4, server has no IP6 enabled (but Windows has - by default?).
    LAN connects to Internet via router, which is forwarder for the DNS server (using the ISP DNS servers), and this supports both IP4 and IP6, but no IP6 traffic will be passed into the LAN.

The server has been set up to deliver all information to any system on the LAN: IP address of the device and the designated DNS servers, and updates DNS accordingly. So using IP4, all devices can reach any system by it's name.

This setup used to work fine, occasionally there is a problem that is easily solved by resetting the controller, it is no problem to access the server by IP address. nslookup shows the server address as primary DNS server - which is fine.

But since a few days, the default DNS server seems to be dns.google aa default DNS servers (found to be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Result is that local servers can no longer be found bij there name - because Google cannot determine the local domain. If I specify the DNS server in the LAN, it works fine.

Where does this dns.google come from, how do I get rid of it and how to prevent it from re-occurring?

:)

WillemGrooters, Oct 15, 2019
  2. Aquinus Win User

DNS Servers

I run a DNS server locally, so when a domain is already cached, I get it back almost instantly, otherwise it responds as fast as the first server in my list (75.75.75.75 in my case.)

Aquinus, Oct 15, 2019
  3. DNS server suggestions.

Hiya.

I need some suggestion on good DNS servers that I can connect to and not find myself with problems all the time, I've used FF, Chrome, Edge and Comodo Dragon but all seem to have issues especially with the DNS that I'm connected to.

I'm currently using the Google one, but if you know any good ones then please suggest it!

I've also read about having my own DNS server but that just seems as a big crambamboli.

And if you think that it's my internet that is having a stroke or something:

Windows consults dns.google so I cannot access servers on local network [​IMG]

Cheers, Boris Windows consults dns.google so I cannot access servers on local network :)

BorisTheAnimal, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Windows consults dns.google so I cannot access servers on local network

dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

TechieNikhil, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

Windows consults dns.google so I cannot access servers on local network

1. Windows consults dns.google so I cannot access servers on local network - Similar Threads - consults dns google

2. Why is Googles DNS server my default on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Googles DNS server my default on Windows: When I select automatic DNS it sets the DNS as Googles DNS and because of this I can't access my schools internet, and I can't change it to a different DNS server, what do I do? My schools internet page blocks other DNS adresses and I cant access it to connect to the internet...
  3. Why is Googles DNS server my default on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Googles DNS server my default on Windows: When I select automatic DNS it sets the DNS as Googles DNS and because of this I can't access my schools internet, and I can't change it to a different DNS server, what do I do? My schools internet page blocks other DNS adresses and I cant access it to connect to the internet...
  4. I cannot set my network to "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot set my network to "Obtain DNS server address automatically": I cannot connect to my university network because I need my adaptor set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically". Every time I change it, it keeps resetting to "Use the following server addresses" 127.0.0.2 Any advice would be much appreciated....
  5. Wsus server consulting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wsus server consulting: Hello, IT Microsoft expert I have some issue with a new Wsus standalone deployment, below info: Infraestructure: Windows Server 2016 patch last update. WSUS suceed latest Sync Database is completly cleanup Destination computers info Windows 7 Windows 10 LTSB...
  6. Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip

Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip: I have a Server and a few windows 10 computers in my office. Usually i can access the server network from all computers by typing \\"servername". I restarted the server today morning and after that two of my windows 10 computers dont connect to server when I type...
  7. Local DNS Server

Local DNS Server: HI, i am using TWO Diff Forest Dcs. One is pow.com another is bloom.com. both are same network and each DC hase its own DNS servers. For all my users using pow.com domain and DNS server as primary. bloom.com is my DEV servers DC. in this domain one server having IIS...
  8. Can't change my DNS settings to Google's or any DNS server

Can't change my DNS settings to Google's or any DNS server: I have tried and tried to change my DNS settings to use Googles DNS (8.8.8.8) and it will not stick. Even downloaded a free program to do it. I use the free program, and it makes Windows send out the side popup, saying the DNS was changed successfully , but it is not changed....
  9. DNS Server unknown/Unknown Network

DNS Server unknown/Unknown Network: Hi, I've been struggling for months with this problem. My laptop won't connect to some networks. Usually there are networks like that on my university or other shared networks. The problem I get is that it doesn't recognize the DNS server. Usually it is solved...
  10. Use Google's DNS servers or ISP ones

Use Google's DNS servers or ISP ones: Hi there two questions on using alternate DNS servers 1) Are things like Google's DNS servers better to use than ISP ones -- any measuring indications available ? 2) Are your Geo-rights still the same when using alternate DNS servers --I don't want for example to...