Windows 10: Windows corrupt, main hard drive partition not detected

Discus and support Windows corrupt, main hard drive partition not detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Windows 10-64 bit (version 1607 build 14393.1944). Upon starting my pc, I am getting the following error on a blue screen in white font.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by archz2, Jan 15, 2018.

1. archz2 Win User

Windows corrupt, main hard drive partition not detected

I have Windows 10-64 bit (version 1607 build 14393.1944). Upon starting my pc, I am getting the following error on a blue screen in white font.

Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.
    Error code: 0xc000000e
    You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again (Pressing Enter merely refreshes the screen (i.e. does nothing for me)
    Press F8 for Startup Settings (Pressing F8 also merely refreshes the screen (i.e. does nothing for me)

I made a bootble usb for windows 10 and tried:
    - startup repair - 'startup repair couldn't fix your pc'
    - system restore - 'system restore couldn't find the offline boot volume'
    - go back to a previous build - 'we ran into a problem and wont be able to take you back...try resetting your pc'

When I checked in the bios boot device priority, my hard drive (500 GB) was not listed. I had attached an old SATA internal hard drive (10-11 years old) of 80 GB capacity which was being used just for storage purposes. This 80GB hard drive was being listed in BIOS boot priority settings.

This hard drive was also listed when I pressed the F7 key and got a menu to choose boot device and chose windows 10 bootable usb to initiate the advanced settings menu.

When I began with windows 10 installation and chose the upgrade option , I got the message “The upgrade option isn’t available if you start your computer using windows installation media”.
    Then I chose the clean install option. In the menu I was getting the following partitions

C: drive – 100Mb system reserved
    E: drive – (The 80 gb hard drive, i.e. the old hard drive)

That’s it. My system is not recognizing the partition of the 500GB hard drive. It had two partitions

C: partition was used for software instllation
    G: partition was used for files and folders storage.

I also interchanged the cables of my two hard drives and started my PC, but the same issue was being observed.

I hope that if this 100mb system reserved is showing, my 500gb hard drive is not damaged. What should I do to boot my system normally?

I don't want to reformat and lose all my files and programs so please do not suggest that.

:)

archz2, Jan 15, 2018

2. Discharge rate of laptop battery VERY high at idle.

Ok, so I used my secondary windows partition (anniversary update) for about 1 month now and after returning to my main partition (fall creators update) every 5 or so days, every time the battery issue was still present on the main partition, but perfectly
    fine on my secondary partition. However, for some reason I went back to my main partition today and everything is fixed... everything is normal again. I DID switch hard drives once to test something, but that hard drive was dead, I ran a BIOS
    diagnostic test and everything passed except for my test hard drive since it was "not detected" and so I put my old hard drive back in. Now everything is fine, I doubt taking the hard drive and back in did anything, but maybe the BIOS diagnostic test did something,
    but no errors were shown. I am happy that everything is working now though, this is all very strange.

Peter Njeim, Jan 15, 2018
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    My hard drive has disappeared

Hi Xavier,

For us to provide you with accurate assistance, please answer the questions below.

Is the drive (DWindows corrupt, main hard drive partition not detected :) you are referring to, an external hard drive, a separate internal hard drive or a partition of your main hard drive?

In the Disk Management, how many drives are detected? Do you see a drive that does not have a letter assigned to it?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Mark Ole, Jan 15, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. I'm guessing your disk may be a bit elderly, so need to do basic checks.

Please download and create Kyhi's bootable disk from the top of the Software and Apps section here. This boots to a special version of Win 10 and offers a range of utilities as you can see in the screenshot there.

Boot your PC from that, and run HDTune from that disk. Post a screenshot showing the Health tab.
    To post a screenshot please use the icon to the left of the video icon above your post)
    - I note you say that- we don't know how you established that.

2. Then run Minitool Partition Wizard and post a screenshot of that showing all disks, and expanding all columns as necessary so all text is visible.

3. I also note your Windows build is 2 major builds out of date. Have you disabled Windows update, or has it just been broken for a long time, or have upgrades failed?

One excellent way to reduce the probability of that is to routinely use disk imaging. E.g. Macrium reflect (free) + external storage for disk images. We repeatedly recommend that and all regular contributors here do this.

Do you have any disk images?
    If so, that would probably be the easiest way to restore your system - maybe the only one.

Finally, if partitions are missing, this suggests either
    - your disk is irretrievably damaged or corrupt
    or
    - maybe you need to use a utility program to rebuild your partition table.

dalchina, Jan 15, 2018
  5. archz2 Win User

I had disabled automatic updates. The last update did not occur and was ending in failure. The last I restarted my pc, it downloaded the update and I kept postponing it. I just used to hibernate my PC for fast reboots.

The reason I said that my 500gb hard disk isn't damaged because 100mb partition is a system partition and this 500gb hard disk was being used as a system partition only. (i.e. the c partition of it).

Therefore, I believe that 100mb partition is a part of this hard disk only.

I don't have any disk images. I am attaching the screenshots. Both minitool and hd tune could not identify my hard drive partition at all.

Windows corrupt, main hard drive partition not detected [​IMG]

archz2, Jan 15, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    Not clear what your doing the 500gig was the one with windows on it correct? It's not showing in the bios so it's dead if you tried different cables port. So the 80 gig what are you trying to do with it? It's drive doesn't show in the bios nothing can be done to recover it other than sending it to a recovery firm

Samuria, Jan 15, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    You can try putting your 500Gb drive in a drive caddy (different connections, hardware) and seeing if it spins up or makes strange noises.. if it does nothing, then as Samuria says, it's dead.

After that you're into risky and improbable arcane measures like putting it into a freezer (beware of condensation) and tricks like that some say have sometimes got drives working.

dalchina, Jan 15, 2018
  8. clam1952 Win User

Assume that the cables have actually been checked? they do on occasions come loose, the solder joints on the circuit board on old drives sometimes fail as well, PATA power connectors are a favourite failure spot.
    If it's an old PATA drive, sounds like it may be, check any jumpers are present and haven't dropped off.
    Not recommended but the freezer trick does sometimes work but only if there is an overheating chip problem, however I prefer finding the offending chip, if that is the cause and temporarily clamping a heat sink on it, gives you a bit more time to get any data off. However if cables are OK and the Bios is failing to detect it and or the drive isn't spinning up, nothing you can do yourself is going to work.

clam1952, Jan 15, 2018
  9. Word Man Win User
    I'm not sure I get exactly what you're saying here but, just in case: the 100mb partition is not part of any 500GB disk but is on the 80GB disk.

Word Man, Jan 15, 2018
  10. archz2 Win User
    Okay, I took out my hard drive and saw the ports are blackened out. I had ordered a hard drive case from Amazon 4 days ago which arrived today. I plugged my hard drive into it, connected the USB and powered on the adapter, the hard drive wasn't moving at all.

This is the condition of that hard drive. Its ports are blackened out. Now what should I do?

archz2, Jan 22, 2018
  11. Samuria Win User
    Put it in the bin something has burnt out it's not worth repairing

Samuria, Jan 22, 2018
  12. Word Man Win User
    Thanks for following up with what you found out archz2. While it's unfortunate that the disk ought to be securely (sledge hammer? *Smile ) binned, we appreciate when you come back and report on the outcome.

Word Man, Jan 22, 2018
  13. archz2 Win User

A colleague of mine is saying that the green chip (which got burnt) can be changed. He is advising to look for old second hard hard drive of the same make. He says that the ports have been damaged, the internal components and the data may be intact. He is recommending to replace the green chip from another hard drive and then running the faulty one to recover data.

archz2, Jan 27, 2018
  14. clam1952 Win User
    That has worked but only by finding an exactly identical drive and using the circuit board off it.
    From what I can see on the picture, it looks like the motor wiring is permanently attached to the PCB and not unplugable in which case I wouldn't bother.

clam1952, Jan 27, 2018
  15. archz2 Win User
    Okay. That same guy is saying that my hard drive was 16mb cache and I was running windows 10 on it therefore this disaster happened. He is saying that minimum 64mb cache hard drives should be used to run Windows 10. How true is that? I am posting a photograph of that hard drive too. Attachment 174614

archz2, Jan 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows corrupt, main hard drive partition not detected - Similar Threads - corrupt main hard

2. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  3. Hard drive exrending main partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive exrending main partition: Mistakenly shrunk the main partition containing Win10 on my hard drive. Cannot extend it again extend partiton option greyed out. Help please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-exrending-main-partition/fd8315f6-6fed-406b-b397-a3b67c9a2b1c
  4. Partitioning Hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partitioning Hard drive: My hard disk performance is reduced drastically. Will partion help to increase performance. My pc is old and so hard disk. I only use it to store video files and other data....
  5. Corrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Corrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update.: Hi! I ran in unexpected and so frustrating problem as Windows Update corrupted my all partitions. EXCEPT NVME hard drive with itself. I heard of Windows Update deleting User profile data. I had backups of that but I would never thought that having more than one hard drive...
  6. Windows changed main hard drive

Windows changed main hard drive: Hello. A few months ago I bought a new Samsung SSD and it's been working fine up until this point. Today, when I launched my PC, it instead booted into my old SSD, which means I had a major "rollback", you could say. It appears that the problem is that my Samsung hard drive...
  7. Hard drive partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive partitions: I cloned my 1TB hard drive to my 4TB hard drive and there are 2 unallocated sotrage I can allocate one but I can't do anything with the other they are at C: 930.94GB G: 1116.49GB leaving me with 1678.02GB that I can't allocate or merge with any of the other 2 or merge all 3...
  8. Windows Partitions on Hard Drive

Windows Partitions on Hard Drive: Can someone tell me what partitions I should have on my hard drive after I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows Home Premium Build 10586. I have some new small partitions and I don't know if they belong to the OS or they got allocated from another source. 32507
  9. Corrupted hard drives

Corrupted hard drives: Hi I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find it. My external drives were set to 'turn off write-cache' and we had a black out. The result is a 3 Tb Seagate external drive, a 2 Tb Seagate external drive, and a 500 Gb portable drive are no longer seen by...
  10. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    partitioning hard drive: hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options. many thanks to all that...