Windows 10: Windows corrupted, recovery disk not working

Discus and support Windows corrupted, recovery disk not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to dual boot my new Inspiron laptop with Ubuntu, but I kept getting errors during installation. I was told to change a few system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by agamez, Oct 20, 2016.

1. agamez Win User

Windows corrupted, recovery disk not working

I'm trying to dual boot my new Inspiron laptop with Ubuntu, but I kept getting errors during installation.

I was told to change a few system settings and try again. However, after I did that, Windows was unable to boot.

I made a recovery USB beforehand, but it's not working; it spends half an hour saying "Recovering this PC", but then at the end it says "There was a problem recovering your PC" with no explanation.

I deleted the recovery partitions after making this USB, because they're supposed to work the same way. Does anybody have any suggestions that I can try? If not, I'm probably going to return this laptop and buy one with Ubuntu preloaded - I don't like knowing I just paid for an OS that can't restore itself and won't play well with other OSes. Before Windows 10, I've never had a problem dual booting, but now it seems impossible

:)

agamez, Oct 20, 2016
  2. DrYSG Win User

can't create recovery drive for win10 build 10240

Helpful, but all commands reported no corruption, but still the RECOVERY drive option does not work. I get the progress bar when it scans for disks, but it reports it cannot create a recovery.

DrYSG, Oct 20, 2016
  3. Recovery Manager

I have recovery disks to fix my computer but disk #3 is corrupted. Can I skip it somehow in the recovery process?

DebbieReynolds1, Oct 20, 2016
  4. jpolacko Win User

If not careful you can corrupt the Windows partition installing Linux alongside Windows there are guides out there that will explain how to install Ubuntu alongside Windows although it usually does everything automatically. But anyways now to your Windows problem. The only solution to your issue now is to download the Windows media creation tool and try to repair Windows that way as the partition that holds the MBR is completely corrupted. Now if that don't work you will have to delete every partition using Windows setup and reinstall Windows. You can not delete any Windows partition using Linux DO not configure anything with Windows inside or using linux unless you know what you are doing. I had no problem installing Kubuntu along side Windows and it installed automatically.

jpolacko, Oct 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows corrupted, recovery disk not working - Similar Threads - corrupted recovery disk

2. Create Win11 Recovery disk fails and corrupts USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Win11 Recovery disk fails and corrupts USB: I bought a 5-pack of 64 gig USB thumb drives. Using the "Create and Format disk" tool I created two 30 gig partitions thinking I'd make one a Win 11 recovery and the other a Acronis recovery that's the backup tool I use.On my Win 10 machine it worked well. On my Win 11...
  3. Create Win11 Recovery disk fails and corrupts USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Win11 Recovery disk fails and corrupts USB: I bought a 5-pack of 64 gig USB thumb drives. Using the "Create and Format disk" tool I created two 30 gig partitions thinking I'd make one a Win 11 recovery and the other a Acronis recovery that's the backup tool I use.On my Win 10 machine it worked well. On my Win 11...
  4. Corrupted Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Corrupted Disk: Hello Community! After i've download Visual Studio 2013, 2015, 2019 i have a problem with my Disk C:I think it's corrupted now. Nothing works. I can't open a single app, i have to move to Disk D:, but sometimes won't work too either. Can i fix it somehow without making format...
  5. Recovery Disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery Disk: Hey I have this “old” laptop i need to sell. I did the system reset which took forever. But now there is this Recovery disk which i can’t open. What is it for? can/should i remove it before selling? https://imgur.com/a/7raeGuN submitted by /u/Juicy-Cucumber [link]...
  6. recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery disk: can I open a recovery disk to see whats on it, on a computer thats not broken? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-disk/3a1b4d32-7a35-4258-959e-00b32454ae49
  7. Disk recovery

Disk recovery: Hello, i've created windows10 installer on my hard drive, but it was't empty. https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/software-download/windows10 using second option how can i recover my lost data? all programs can not recover my previous parition In disc settings i don't have any...
  8. Recovery disk don't work

Recovery disk don't work: Hi, Was planning to move partitions around, so I took time to make a recovery disk on usb. And since Murphy was around, Windows wouldn't boot. So I put the usb drive in, won't boot. If someone can explain why (Windows 10 was healty at time, included system files, SFC had...
  9. Windows 10 Disk Partition Corrupted during Recovery

Windows 10 Disk Partition Corrupted during Recovery: Perhaps I can get a pointer in the right direction, I will try and keep it short. On Oct 14 my laptop seemed to be slow so I decided to do a roll-back with system restore, well it never recovered and went into a recovery loop I could not get out of. I thought I had made a...
  10. Recovery Disk not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recovery Disk not working: When I tried to make a recovery disk I get a message saying that there are files missing. How do I fix this 22205