Windows 10: Windows could not complete the installation

Discus and support Windows could not complete the installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am reformatting a Acer One 10 2-in-1 laptop with Windows 10 Home 32-bit, and after the first reboot (after copying files and such) Windows fails to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by derek10, Apr 20, 2017.

1. derek10 Win User

Windows could not complete the installation

I am reformatting a Acer One 10 2-in-1 laptop with Windows 10 Home 32-bit, and after the first reboot (after copying files and such) Windows fails to continue the installation with this error
    Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer restart Windows

And I can't proceed further.

I am usign the official Microsoft tool to download and create a USB drive.

Does anyone know what's up?

Thanks

:)

derek10, Apr 20, 2017

2. Windows could not complete the Installation

Hello!

Make is an HP Elite 3500 Desktop - Its a refurbish build from NewEgg. Nothing special just for work. It does have an SSD that was preinstalled with Windows 10 pro. After i got it up and running it downloaded the updates and never could get
    it booted after that. So I've installed the same version (Had to install again from Scratch) and went to that site to download the Hide updates which didnt work. I thought it did.. Out of no where i got a pop up saying it was downloading the updates again.
    Of course once computer restarted it never could get out of the boot sequence.

Only way I could get through this so I can use it to work was to revert back to Windows 7.. Haven't had any issues since.

I'll wait a year until Microsoft figures their issues out.

Thanks!

DonovanKerber, Apr 20, 2017
  3. Windows could not complete the Installation

Hello! Just purchsded a desktop computer for work. I got it out of the box, fired it up, and then went through the prompts to get windows setup. Once everything was setup i used the computer the whole day without any issues. I turned the computer off when
    i was leaving and of course it had to install some updates. Well the updates didnt install all the way and had an error which it stated it was reported to microsoft. My computer is now stuck in this booting mode. Gives me an error and if you push ok it restarts
    and does it again. Ive read all the forums on this issue and did the command promts with no success. Seems to be an issue with Windows 10 pro. Trust me ive done everything. Ive reinstalled windows and re installed all my files to end up having it do it again.
    Once the computer wanted to restart it tried to install the update again and failed. Then. Back to the loop of not booting. Anything else i can try and do? Really need my computer as i use it for work. Thanks

DonovanKerber, Apr 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, for someone to assist could you advise:
    a. Did you completely reformat the disk before you started?
    b. Did you check the disk?
    c. Was the PC running Win 10 beforehand? If so which version (build/home/pro) and 32 bit or 64 bit?
    d. Which build of Windows are you installing now?

And could you advise the processor in the PC as these came with an Intel Atom, I think.

What was the reason for reinstalling- was Win 10 not running properly if that was what was installed?

To check the disk now, you can use Kyhi's boot DVD / flash drive from the top of the Software and Apps section and e.g. run HDTune.

Once confident in your disk, have a look at this:
    Could not complete Win10 installation from USB - Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    where some found a solution.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2017
  5. derek10 Win User
    A yes I also redid all partitioning
    B yes and no errors

C Windows 10 home 32 bit

D the same

I reinstalled it because it sometimes froze and see if fixes after reinstall
    I tried several USB drives several ISOs.I can read from your link that is something related to secure boot but in my case, unlike that user's UEFI is much more basic with those options and no CSM not Other OS not PK

Windows could not complete the installation [​IMG]

And I tried every option specially the restore to factory but that error still pops I am starting to fear my computer is somewhat bricked or something.

Thank you for your reply

derek10, Apr 21, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Please try:
    To check the disk now, you can use Kyhi's boot DVD / flash drive from the top of the Software and Apps section and e.g. run HDTune.

as I don't know how you checked your disk previously.

Then reformat the disk- do not create any partitions, using the appropriate disk format for your PC.
    Whats the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?

Then try reinstalling Win 10.

dalchina, Apr 21, 2017
  7. derek10 Win User
    Many thanks
    I scanned it using chkdsk and came OK.
    The computer has 32GB internal drive

Doesn't have any S.M.A.R.T data

It's using GPT (this machine is UEFI-only)

I reformatted and repartitioned several times but always came the same error.

I scanned using error scan and the entire window is red with 100% damaged blocks *chuckle obviously it's not scanning correctly.

Windows could not complete the installation [​IMG]

Is there a log file or something to see where does it fail? Maybe that could clarify something

derek10, Apr 21, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

When windows upgrade fails you can run the panther command to create an error code and log files. The log files can then be analyzed using the error code. I just had a failed windows 10 1607 to 1703 upgrade that failed with error code 0xc1900800. The log files displayed that it needed more free space in the partition. Files were removed from the partition. The 1607 was then upgraded to 1703. There were other problems after the upgrade though. A windows 10 1703 bootable iso was created. A clean install was then performed.

This is the panther command:

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther

It's easiest to use control c and control v and enter it into administrative command prompt.
    Then search for these log files:

setupact.log
    setuperr.log

zbook, Apr 21, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    What source are you trying to install Windows 10 from? Are you sure it is a good Windows 10 source? If it is a USB flash drive, you might want to try downloading a fresh ISO file and making a new one.

NavyLCDR, Apr 21, 2017
  10. derek10 Win User
    Many thanks *Smile
    Understood! I will post the latest lines of both files that may help!

I got Windows 10 from the Microsoft download utility from another computer. Then I tried various USB drives, including an external hard disk, in all cases ended with the same error. The installation in all cases worked on a virtual machine used for testing

derek10, Apr 21, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You should not be doing any reformatting or repartitioning of the drive before installing Windows. You should let windows handle that.

Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. At the first install screen, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt. In the command prompt run:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

The above commands initialize the drive for GPT partitioning, but they neither create partitions nor reformat partitions. Then when you get to the screen with the custom install option, select custom install. The next screen should show drive 0 with nothing but unallocated space. Hightlight the unallocated space and click Next to let Windows set it up.

NavyLCDR, Apr 21, 2017
  12. derek10 Win User
    Many thanks!

After trying your command and the same issue persisted *facepalm* I finally get it up and running by doing this:
    • On another computer, use a virtual machine on Virtualbox on UEFI Mode and install Windows 10, and cloning its HDD to a external hard drive using Macrium inside the VM.
    • Plug the keyboard base to the tablet to transform it into a laptop as the touchscreen doesn't work in bios nor in recovery mode and to have the USB port. Throughout the process, the screen will be SIDEWAYS as shown in the above image.
    • After that, plug the external HDD to the tablet and enter UEFI with esc key and boot from the USB
    • Windows 10 will boot successfully from the external HDD
    • Install all drivers from Acer
    • then using the same Macrium as used in the VM, I had to clone it to the tablet internal eMMC drive
    • Unplug the HDD and restart
    • Windows 10 will fail to boot and restart until it enters into recovery.
    • Reset it to a clean state and remove all files.
    • After that, the usual first-time setup will appear and the problem should be fixed.

It's so easy, right? *Biggrin
    I still don't know why I can't install WIndows 10 normally like in the rest of my computers

derek10, Apr 22, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Glad you finally got is all sorted out! If you have a good, solid Windows installation now, I would recommend making an image of it with Macrium Reflect free to make restoration the next time a lot easier Windows could not complete the installation :)

NavyLCDR, Apr 22, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    That's about as arcane a way of installing Win 10 as I can recall. Definitely innovative. If it works: image it before it escapes!

dalchina, Apr 22, 2017
  15. derek10 Win User
    Many thanks *Smile I did a Macrium backup of the drive.

derek10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows could not complete the installation - Similar Threads - complete installation

2. Cant install updates. Win10 We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant install updates. Win10 We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes: Hello. I cant update my win10. Every time i get this error on 97%: We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes.My CBS folder: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag2f64qHpHghjAGwSNXlm5-226oR?e=4OhLFEDoing many fix attempts, nothing helps :Help me pls....
  3. Cant install updates. Win10 We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant install updates. Win10 We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes: Hello. I cant update my win10. Every time i get this error on 97%: We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes.My CBS folder: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag2f64qHpHghjAGwSNXlm5-226oR?e=4OhLFEDoing many fix attempts, nothing helps :Help me pls....
  4. Cant install updates. Win10 We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. i cant install completly the realtek app from microsoft store .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant install completly the realtek app from microsoft store .: i made the update sfrom the advance driver updater app what i must do next pls . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-install-completly-the-realtek-app-from/ef1035bf-df76-45dc-b2aa-82b88799602b
  6. i cant install completly the realtek app from microsoft store .

i cant install completly the realtek app from microsoft store .: i made the update sfrom the advance driver updater app what i must do next pls . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-install-completly-the-realtek-app-from/ef1035bf-df76-45dc-b2aa-82b88799602b
  7. i cant install completly the realtek app from microsoft store .

8. Windows 11 installation does not complete.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 installation does not complete.: During installation, everything goes fine, but during the preparation of devices it reaches 75%, freezes and begins to reboot cyclically. All drives are in order, I checked it on a laptop, the image is normal. There is an interesting detail that when installing Windows 10,...
  9. Windows 11 installation does not complete.

Windows 11 installation does not complete.: During installation, everything goes fine, but during the preparation of devices it reaches 75%, freezes and begins to reboot cyclically. All drives are in order, I checked it on a laptop, the image is normal. There is an interesting detail that when installing Windows 10,...
  10. How do I remove Windows completely to install a different OS?

How do I remove Windows completely to install a different OS?: I was wondering how I would completely get rid of windows on my computer so I can install a new OS. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-windows-completely-to-install-a/a74dc5f5-4f52-4f52-876a-0aef8953d4f9