Windows 10: Windows could not update the installation file

Discus and support Windows could not update the installation file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am getting the error "Windows could not update the installation file. To install Windows, close Setup and restart installation Error Code: 0x6. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pgrannan, Apr 2, 2017.

1. pgrannan Win User

Windows could not update the installation file

I am getting the error "Windows could not update the installation file. To install Windows, close Setup and restart installation Error Code: 0x6.

I want to reinstall my laptop with Windows 7 from Windows 10 and i'm getting the error above. My laptop has the issue in which is 'pauses' or hesitates when i am working. Moving the mouse, videos anything and it's quit aggravating. I did the free upgrade a year or so ago and thought i could live with it. It went away for a while but is now back. I've changed the Power settings as suggested by many of the internet sites but that did not fix the issue. I checked with the manufacturer of my PC and they told me the pc was 'designed' to use Windows 7 and they did not have a fix and that they have heard of this from some of their other customers.

Can any help me get back to windows 7 or fix the system hesitation.

I have

Windows could not update the installation file [​IMG]

:)

pgrannan, Apr 2, 2017

2. Windows could not complete the installation.

Power on and off your computer three times

On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

Click Advanced Options

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced Options

Click System Restore, see if you can go back to an earlier time.

If not, boot into the recovery environment again, then try performing a startup repair.

If that does not work, boot into the recovery environment, then click 'Go back to previous version of Windows'

If that does not work.

Go to a working computer, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

If there are files on the drive you want to recover, see - How to: Perform a Custom install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Apr 2, 2017
  3. Windows Could Not Complete The Installation

trying to delete

HoumanToulami, Apr 2, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

What is the make/model of your laptop?
    How are you trying to reinstall Windows 7 (OEM recovery partition or clean install from disc)?
    You also might want to include a screenshot of your current disk partitions structure as well.

5. pgrannan Win User
    The laptop is made by Prostar and it's their model B. Their models are based on equipment.
    I'm trying to load windows from a Microsoft Windows 7 CD so i guses a new clean instsll. . I've restored the laptop with this same cd once before prior to the windows 10 "upgrade". The CD is in an external cd/DVD player and the installation does start as it should. I answer yes to pull updates from the internet, it "downloads" somthing then it didplsys the error.
    The laptop is about 6 years old and it was their tech guy that said it was designed for win 7, not sure I believe that.

pgrannan, Apr 2, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    The only thing I can think of is you may have a very old version of Windows 7 and the installer is trying to download some kind of update (like a service pack) and that is where it might be failing. So, if you go here and enter your product key it might give you the latest Windows 7 version with the latest service pack included:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

And if that one desn't work in your USB/DVD device, I would suggest you use the ISO to create a USB installer and try it that way:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ve-create.html

7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, as that's actually a question about installing Win 7, could I suggest you'd be better off here:
    Windows 7 Help Forums

Suggest you make sure you have backed up any data on your system disk/partition, then format it, then clean install Win 7.

dalchina, Apr 2, 2017
  8. Windows could not update the installation file

My first suggestion would be to say no to pull updates from the internet. My second suggestion, since your going back to 7 from 10, is to select custom install. That will get you access to the disk tools. There I would delete all partitions, except data partition if you have one. And just install into the unallocated space. Windows should then create all the partitions it needs automatically. You can go from 10 to 7 and retain any installed programs etc. If you have files you don't want to lose, back them up now to external media.

alphanumeric, Apr 2, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just curious, have you tried a clean install of Windows 10 yet or are you still working on the original upgrade from Windows 7?

That should run Windows 10 fabulously.

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2017
  10. pgrannan Win User
    I have not tried a clean install. I've seen a lot of reports of PC/Laptops hesitating and that's what i want to get rid of. I guess i could create an ISO file of windows 10 and see if that fixes it. I like windows 10 i just can deal with the hesitation and i know it did not do it on 7.

pgrannan, Apr 3, 2017
  11. pgrannan Win User
    I created an ISO image of windows 10 and loaded it and so far so good. I'm loading my program slowly to make sure it does not come back and did not load all the original drivers from my PC. I do now have two questions.
    1. I used a program to pull the windows key before did a fresh reload but the system said it was not a valid key. Not sure if i will run into issues.
    I do have a windows key from my original Windows 7 CD but i'm assuming that would not have worked.

2. I have a second monitor an LG 29UB55-5 which is one of those extra wide 29' in monitor. Some of the programs are fuzzy when i look at them on the monitor. On programs such as chrome and MS Office i change the properties to check the box for "Disable scaling on high DPI settings" which seems to help. I've pulled the driver off the CD and updated but it does not fix everything.

Any suggestions

pgrannan, Apr 3, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    If you search the forum for e.g.
    Solved blurry text
    fuzzy text

you'll find a good number of threads- probably something there to help.

Windows could not update the installation file [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 3, 2017
  13. pgrannan Win User

Thank you. I will check that out.

Would you happen to know if I'm going to run into an issue with the windows key? I did not have one for the install. I've reloaded win 7 before but I had the key.

Thanks again

pgrannan, Apr 4, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    So many ask that. If you had Win 10 installed on your PC you can install it as many times as you like, including a tool to help if you change major hardware. Disk is no problem. Activation should be automatic.

Win 7 - you'll need the key.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2017
  15. pgrannan Win User
    Thanks. I have the key for Win 7 if needed.

pgrannan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows could not update the installation file - Similar Threads - update installation file

2. Windows could not finish installing the updates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows could not finish installing the updates.: I have Windows 10 Pro and for several months I have been getting this "Windows could not finish installing updates" error. I have been constantly stopping the Windows update service and sometimes gave up to see the same error one more time. My update history is blank. When...
  3. Windows could not finish installing the updates.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows could not finish installing the updates.: I have Windows 10 Pro and for several months I have been getting this "Windows could not finish installing updates" error. I have been constantly stopping the Windows update service and sometimes gave up to see the same error one more time. My update history is blank. When...
  4. Windows could not finish installing the updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Informed by update that I could download and install Windows 11, but could not...

Informed by update that I could download and install Windows 11, but could not...: Monday, Oct. 25th, I was informed by Windows Update that I could download and install Windows 11. Countless times I tried. It would download no more than 8%, stop, and eventually just go back to telling me I could download it. On Tuesday, Oct. 26th, update no longer told me I...
  6. Windows could not finish installing the updates.

Windows could not finish installing the updates.: I have Windows 10 Home and for several months I have been getting this "Windows could not finish installing updates" error. I've tried everything. I have been constantly stopping the Windows update service and sometimes gave up to see the same error one more time. My update...
  7. The updates could not be installed?

The updates could not be installed?: I've had the same thing on my laptop for an hour and nothing is happening. I'm afraid I don't know what to do about that. Anybody got any ideas? [ATTACH] Die Updates konnten nicht eingerichtet werden?
  8. Could not install updates

Could not install updates: My computer was stuck on "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer" and went through this sequence and restart several times until I used my tablet to search for answers, which was basically to just break into it with the Windows Key and...
  9. Update 'KB2565063' could not be installed.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update 'KB2565063' could not be installed.: For the last few days this update has been trying to install itself and it fails every time. The event message is: Event ID 1023 Code: Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 - Update 'KB2565063' could not be installed. Error code 1625....
  10. zip file could not be installed

zip file could not be installed: I tried to install the fully set up demo zip file of topshsop to theme icon under appearance in dashboard, but fail! I tried 3 times and the result "please try it again". WA family, what should I do now? 31924

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windowx could not update the installation files