Windows 10: Windows crashed? would not sleep, so told it to sleep, now no boot

Discus and support Windows crashed? would not sleep, so told it to sleep, now no boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last night I told it to sleep, I thought maybe related to network sharing I had setup? It fell silent, fans off. This am, fans running screen off,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Windows crashed? would not sleep, so told it to sleep, now no boot

Last night I told it to sleep, I thought maybe related to network sharing I had setup?
    It fell silent, fans off.

This am, fans running screen off, move mouse screen wakes showing log in screen, screen blips off and on every few seconds, can not interact with the screen. Keyboard numlock light is on can be turned off and on, nothing though.

So I unplug it and reboot, it tries to start 3 times, reboots, finally goes to the cant start screen and says attempting repairs. That runs for a while, then it reboots, and just a black screen whirling dots now for 30 minutes,

This is a 500gb WD Blue SSD, so what got corrupted?
    windows is 2o2h
    Do a reinstall?

- - - Updated - - -

video of what its doing
    if you unplug and turn it own, it boots shows bios splash screen, then starts windows boot with the blue flag, then just whats in video.
    Shared album - Scott Downey - Google Photos

- - - Updated - - -

Get this, it must not completely dead. the network shares are up on this PC, I just went in and opened the share, and modified a text document, so its OS is running. If you wait a while it sleeps, screen goes black. I also just copied a 32gb folder into the 'dead ' pc.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I force reboots with power button 3 times, brought up startup repair, gave it my password, and windows tells me start up repair couldn't repair your PC

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, doing a reset this PC, cloud download install and keeping my files

- - - Updated - - -

about to give up claims PC cant be reset

Next step reset as in wipe it? I will wait an hour, and if no ideas here, that is my next step.

:)

sdowney717, Dec 2, 2020
  2. Jetster Win User

Windows won't boot back up from sleep

Check your power settings in the BIOS. Windows 7 sleep mode works fine. I wouldn't suggest disabling it. Why have your system sucking air and spinning drive if your not using it. I have seen some issues with some input devises not allowing the system to go to sleep. But Drone mentioned it

Jetster, Dec 2, 2020
  3. rtwjunkie Win User
    Windows 10 PC, issues with sleep and slow boots

@Mussels Welcome to the most widespread, yet elusive to pin down problem plaguing W10 even with SSD's! (meaning it's not your HDD)

You can googlebing to your heart's content and try every wild-assed fix out there, but you'll only make a dent in your frustration level.

What has MOSTLY helped me is turning off hibernation by turning off all sleep and power saving options in Windows, and turning off fast boot by deleting hiberfil through the CMD line (as an admin).

Now it only hangs on boot or restart 1 out of 5 times. LOL, and I call that progress. I have two steps to take that look like they might be promising.

I'm going to disable all power saving features in BIOS, and try a new BIOS which was released after W10.

No one, including M$ has figured it out yet. Some of the speculative fixes you'll find come from their own forums where so-called Windows experts seem to be the most clueless of everyone.

Anyway, I listed what has helped me somewhat after 4 weeks.

rtwjunkie, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Windows crashed? would not sleep, so told it to sleep, now no boot

Sleep

Hi,

This may happen due to its power plan. A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how computers use and conserve power. For this, we suggest that you reset and restore power plans to its default. kindly follow these steps:

• Open the Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press
      Enter
      :
      • powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart your PC to apply the changes.

After that, go to Power & sleep settings
    by typing it into the Windows Search. Check the When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after
    settings is set to Never.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows crashed? would not sleep, so told it to sleep, now no boot

1. Windows crashed? would not sleep, so told it to sleep, now no boot - Similar Threads - crashed sleep told

2. Windows Boot and Sleep problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Boot and Sleep problem: After spending many hours trying to resolve problems with Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 failing to complete updates on my PC I reverted to the System disk I cloned back in November 2020. Windows 10 Home finally updated to Version 22H2 and was fully up to date. However, after...
  3. Windows Boot and Sleep problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Boot and Sleep problem: After spending many hours trying to resolve problems with Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 failing to complete updates on my PC I reverted to the System disk I cloned back in November 2020. Windows 10 Home finally updated to Version 22H2 and was fully up to date. However, after...
  4. Windows crashes in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes in sleep mode: When I leave my laptop untouched for a while it goes to sleep mode, but now windows just crashes. When I try to boot it it does not respond and after some time the fans just start blowing on full speed. I just press the power button for 5 seconds to shut it down and then...
  5. Desktop reboots instead of going to sleep - Happens if manually told to go to sleep or at...

Desktop reboots instead of going to sleep - Happens if manually told to go to sleep or at...: Desktop reboots instead of going to sleep - Happens if manually told to go to sleep or at every 10 minute interval It is set to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity......
  6. Pagefile moved, now crashes from sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pagefile moved, now crashes from sleep.: I set the pagefile from C: boot drive to another SSD. Since then when waking from sleep mode, the PC 'wakes' but the HDD led stays constant, and nothing else happens so I have to reset. Upon reset the PC boots > POST screen > UEFI logo, spinning loading icon > then blue...
  7. Windows would not boot up, reinstalled and now keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows would not boot up, reinstalled and now keeps crashing: My PC crashed a couple of days ago and would not restart - it kept going into recovery mode. I hadn't installed any new software or hardware. I could only get it to run in safe mode. All the usual fixes failed but I was eventually able to reinstall Windows from a USB drive....
  8. Sleep Boot loop!

Sleep Boot loop!: Can anyone help, i want my pc to purposely to a sleep boot loop. Its a laptop, but throttle stop only works after the machine has been to sleep, and i want it to work to reduce temps! So if possible this is what i want it to do: When i first turn it on, or login, within a...
  9. My Computer Sleeps when I told it not to

My Computer Sleeps when I told it not to: Hello guys. I have a Lenovo Ideapad 310-15iKB and Windows 10 v1803. My power plan is set to high performance. My computer is set not to sleep, although when I make it set to sleep mode, it continues to sleep when I turn it back on. The problem is gone when I restart though,...
  10. Computer would boot from scratch after put to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer would boot from scratch after put to sleep: After upgrading to Windows 10 everything was going smooth, until few days ago I noticed that the sleep function is not working properly. After asked to sleep the computer will boot from scratch and all the unsaved data is lost. My computer is ASUS K551LN, Intel i7 4500U...