Windows 10: Windows crashes after second sleep SOLVED

Discus and support Windows crashes after second sleep SOLVED in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; S O L V E D - It turned out to be a motherboard Intel driver problem. The problem: Following a fresh restart, I can trigger sleep once - works 100% -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CarlosCamposPhotoGuy, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Windows crashes after second sleep SOLVED

S O L V E D - It turned out to be a motherboard Intel driver problem.

The problem:
    Following a fresh restart, I can trigger sleep once - works 100% - then, if I wake it up and triggerSLEEP a second time, it is crashes 100% of the time.

Recent changes inclulde a new NVMe M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO set as the boot disk, a new 200mm fan and just this past week, a new ASUS QHD monitor.
    MB is ASRock Z390 Phantom 4.
    I don't know how far back this problem exists - I only built this PC about 3 months ago.

My troubleshooting so far:

On the suspicion that the 970 EVO SSD was the cause, I moved it to a different M.2 slot - same problem.

Subsequently, I reverted to my older SATA SSD Kingston and the problem persisted. Ditto when I restored Windows from an older image backup.

I then removed every add-on PCIe board Wifi and SATA controlled for additional drives and disconnected all drives but the boot drive and even unplugged the new fan - still crashing.

Lastly, I reverted to my old monitor - still crashing.

As a last effort to isolate the problem, I did a fresh install of Windows on the Samsung SSD and lo and behold, the problem persisted.

I am running Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates auto-update always on

I am out of ideas. I do have minidumps from each crash which point to hall.dll, so no real help.

Error code is SYSTEM-THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

:)

CarlosCamposPhotoGuy, Nov 9, 2020
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Nov 9, 2020
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Nov 9, 2020
  4. Windows crashes after second sleep SOLVED

Display will not sleep.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you solve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Click on Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Power & sleep.
    • In the right pane, select the time limit for the system to go to sleep from the drop down list.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows crashes after second sleep SOLVED

1. Windows crashes after second sleep SOLVED - Similar Threads - crashes second sleep

2. Sleep mode after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode after a few seconds of inactivity: About a week-ish ago there was an auto update ? for Windows 10 and it logged me out of my work/ institution email and I couldn't access any related application, I had to delete my profile and manually sign in again, but then I realized that leaving my laptop inactive for...
  3. No Sign-In After Sleep Windows 11 [SOLVED]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Sign-In After Sleep Windows 11 [SOLVED]: A similar thread from last year was locked, so I thought I would post my solution here.I wanted Windows 11 to bypass any password, lock-screen, or sign-in, both at startup and when waking from sleep. "Require Sign-In" was missing from sign-in options, so I had to trick...
  4. No Sign-In After Sleep Windows 11 [SOLVED]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Sign-In After Sleep Windows 11 [SOLVED]: A similar thread from last year was locked, so I thought I would post my solution here.I wanted Windows 11 to bypass any password, lock-screen, or sign-in, both at startup and when waking from sleep. "Require Sign-In" was missing from sign-in options, so I had to trick...
  5. Windows 11 No Sign-In After Sleep Solved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 No Sign-In After Sleep Solved: A similar thread from last year was locked, so I thought I would post my solution here.I wanted Windows 11 to bypass any password, lock-screen, or sign-in, both at startup and when waking from sleep. "Require Sign-In" was missing from sign-in options, so I had to trick...
  6. Windows 11 No Sign-In After Sleep Solved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 No Sign-In After Sleep Solved: A similar thread from last year was locked, so I thought I would post my solution here.I wanted Windows 11 to bypass any password, lock-screen, or sign-in, both at startup and when waking from sleep. "Require Sign-In" was missing from sign-in options, so I had to trick...
  7. System crashes after sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System crashes after sleep: Hey guys been having this issue ever since I upgraded my PC to the below specs-5950x-RTX 3090-Crucial Ballistix 3600 32 GB RAM-Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro-Windows 10 20H2So when my computer goes to sleep initially everything is fine, it wakes back up when I press a key or move my...
  8. Second monitor problem after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second monitor problem after sleep mode: So i have a dual monitor setup, the main one is connected through DP and the other through HDMI. Whenever I put my pc to sleep mode, and turn it back on, all the windows I had on my second monitor move the my main one, and i get a popup from my Radeon Driver, saying that...
  9. Windows crashes after second sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows crashes after second sleep: The problem: Following a fresh restart, I can trigger sleep once - works 100% - then, if I wake it up and triggerSLEEP a second time, it is crashes 100% of the time. Recent changes inclulde a new NVMe M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO set as the boot disk, a new 200mm fan and just...
  10. Crashing seconds after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Crashing seconds after login: Hi Guys, my computer has been acting strange as of 2 days ago. I was initially just browsing the net and everything stopped loading. I thought my internet went out and I shut down my computer thinking nothing of it. I tried starting it up again later that day but it would...