Windows 10: Windows crashes randomly, especially when idle

Discus and support Windows crashes randomly, especially when idle in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently have reinstalled windows, and acquired a new CPU, MOBO, and RAM. I have noticed since the reinstall, that when leaving my pc idle for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Matt van Antwerpen, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Windows crashes randomly, especially when idle

I recently have reinstalled windows, and acquired a new CPU, MOBO, and RAM.
    I have noticed since the reinstall, that when leaving my pc idle for a short period with no keyboard or mouse input, I come back to the lock screen, as though id signed out, and all my applications are closed, due to my pc resetting. This has lost me lots of unsaved work on school projects etc. I have auto windows updates off, and I my sleep settings only come into play after several hours, even though it resets my pc after just 10 minutes away>

After checking event viewer, there is a fatal error "kernel power 41" with not much more info. It doesnt matter what the PC is doing, weather on desktop or sitting in a zoom meeting, it will reset after about 10 minutes. Since there isnt much more info im not sure where to go from here, any help is appreciated

EDIT: immediately after posing this my PC gave me a blue screen, so it occurs even when not idle

:)

Matt van Antwerpen, Oct 27, 2020
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Naby Win User
    10 Crashing Randomly and During Updates and File Downloads

This is a re-post from here.

I have a Windows 10 PC that I run 24/7. I have Windows Updates disabled through the Group Policy Editor. I still perform updates manually every few days. Windows Defender updates work fine. Other Windows updates cause the PC to crash, no BSOD or anything, it just turns off. I've looked for 1074, 6006, and 6008 event log files to explain why and I haven't been able to find anything.

Other times the computer just randomly crashes and also sometimes when downloading files. The symptom is the same, I check on it and find it powered down or it just shuts off while I'm using it. It boots back up fine and I see no cause listed in the event logs.

I have been through the 3 tests suggested to me on the old thread. SMART looked good, memtest ran for 33 hours for 8 passes with no errors, and prime was run for 3 hours with no errors.

I think the next step was to run V2 Log collector, that data is attached.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Windows crashes randomly, especially when idle

all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows crashes randomly, especially when idle

1. Windows crashes randomly, especially when idle - Similar Threads - crashes randomly especially

2. Random Freeze, especially when gaming:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Freeze, especially when gaming:: So, I have an HP Victus 16: 24GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Core i7-12700H and a GTX 1650 with a windows 11. It used to freeze when playing video games but it was like once in a while. Now, I can't even open a game. Even more, it freezes when using Browser or in a Zoom meeting. Everything...
  3. Random Freeze, especially when gaming:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Freeze, especially when gaming:: So, I have an HP Victus 16: 24GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Core i7-12700H and a GTX 1650 with a windows 11. It used to freeze when playing video games but it was like once in a while. Now, I can't even open a game. Even more, it freezes when using Browser or in a Zoom meeting. Everything...
  4. Windows 11 Freezes - especially when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Freezes - especially when idle: I Was running windows 10 with the same computer with no problems since forever, never freezed. But since i installed windows 11, it started to randomly freezes, i don't even need to be hard using it, playing or using 3d softwares, sometimes just one internet tab is enought do...
  5. Windows 11 Freezes - especially when idle

Windows 11 Freezes - especially when idle: I Was running windows 10 with the same computer with no problems since forever, never freezed. But since i installed windows 11, it started to randomly freezes, i don't even need to be hard using it, playing or using 3d softwares, sometimes just one internet tab is enought do...
  6. Computer crashes randomly or when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer crashes randomly or when idle: As the title says, my computer has been crashing lately, either a black screen or the image on my monitor freezes, I'm then forced to power off the computer by holding the power button for a bit as it is completely unresponsive. It usually happens when I leave my computer...
  7. Computer crashes randomly or when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes randomly or when idle: As the title says, my computer has been crashing lately, either a black screen or the image on my monitor freezes, I'm then forced to power off the computer by holding the power button for a bit as it is completely unresponsive. It usually happens when I leave my computer...
  8. Computer crashes randomly or when idle

9. Windows random crash while idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows random crash while idle: After I leave the pc in idle, it randomly crashes after a few mins the display turns off 10 mins. It doesnt happen every time. I tried clean boot, disabling c states and changing power supply idle control to typical in bios, everything is at stock. Updated Windows and drivers...
  10. PC Crashes at Random, Especially Out of Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Crashes at Random, Especially Out of Sleep: For the last while, my PC has crashed with error 6008 at random. It generally happens coming out of sleep. I've run memory tests etc. with no luck, and replaced my power supply in case that was causing issues. I'm starting to get very frustrated. After one of these crashes...