Windows 10: Windows crashing and freezing

Discus and support Windows crashing and freezing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am having an issue with my 2 year old laptop. In the last few weeks the laptop was lagging when I would right click something or open a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dundis67, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Dundis67 Win User

Windows crashing and freezing

Hello,

I am having an issue with my 2 year old laptop. In the last few weeks the laptop was lagging when I would right click something or open a new program or folder and it would take a minute or so for anything to happen sometimes longer and if I click again it does 'Not responding'.

This got pretty constant so I decided to do a reboot with a clean install of windows 10 from my USB which seemed to fix the problem for a short while but the computer starts to slow down again or I get random blue screens with 'CRITICAL PROCESS DIED'.

I have tried to check my hardware. I ran memtest86 which came back with no errors. I used Minitool partition wizard to run a surface scan on hard disk and nothing appears. I have ran multiple file checks including sfc/scannow and any other advice on any web page advising how to fix the 'Critical Process Died'. I have also updated windows and I have clicked 'update driver' on everything in device manager but nothing seems to work.

Yesterday I did another clean install as the computer had blue screened and wouldn't load windows. This time I created a restore point and it seemed to be working fine. I left the laptop sitting on for a few hours without doing anything and got the blue screen again with 'Critical Process Died'.

When the computer restarted it again would not load windows. I did a system restore which worked. I now have it running again but I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before it goes haywire again.

Usually when I do a clean install of windows I update windows straight away but as I'm not sure if one of the updates is causing the problem I have just left the computer and seems to be working ok.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz

RAM: 16GB DDR

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Hard drive: 930GB

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dundis67

:)

Dundis67, Jun 14, 2020

2. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Jun 14, 2020
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jun 14, 2020
  4. SiSig_ Win User

SiSig_, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows crashing and freezing - Similar Threads - crashing freezing

2. PC crash- pc multicolor crash sometimes before crashing it freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crash- pc multicolor crash sometimes before crashing it freezes: I have already tried to get help from nvidia support and that didn't end up working out so I will leave our previous chat logs so you can see where I left off please tell me if you need me to send any additional logs or filesGPU 980tiCHAT LINK:...
  3. PC crash- pc multicolor crash sometimes before crashing it freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crash- pc multicolor crash sometimes before crashing it freezes: I have already tried to get help from nvidia support and that didn't end up working out so I will leave our previous chat logs so you can see where I left off please tell me if you need me to send any additional logs or filesGPU 980tiCHAT LINK:...
  4. PC freezing/crashing AFTER windows reset w/ files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezing/crashing AFTER windows reset w/ files: Recently and out of nowhere, my PC has started freezing/crashing during regular use. My first instinct was a thermal issue, and I noticed the CPU was idling a little over 50C, so I took the AIO off, removed and replaced the thermal paste which was quite scarce, and tried...
  5. PC freezing/crashing AFTER windows reset w/ files

PC freezing/crashing AFTER windows reset w/ files: Recently and out of nowhere, my PC has started freezing/crashing during regular use. My first instinct was a thermal issue, and I noticed the CPU was idling a little over 50C, so I took the AIO off, removed and replaced the thermal paste which was quite scarce, and tried...
  6. PC freezing/crashing AFTER windows reset w/ files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. My PC keeps freezing and fully crashing no matter what I do.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keeps freezing and fully crashing no matter what I do.: Hey so with my PC I'm having a really weird issue I haven't been able to find answers for ANYWHERE. So previously, every time i'd boot up my PC for the first time in a day, it'd work perfectly fine but after a few minutes it'd freeze for a second or two with a static sound...
  8. My PC keeps freezing and fully crashing no matter what I do.

My PC keeps freezing and fully crashing no matter what I do.: Hey so with my PC I'm having a really weird issue I haven't been able to find answers for ANYWHERE. So previously, every time i'd boot up my PC for the first time in a day, it'd work perfectly fine but after a few minutes it'd freeze for a second or two with a static sound...
  9. Fairly new install of Windows 11 with unexpected freezes/crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fairly new install of Windows 11 with unexpected freezes/crashes: Been having a issue with the computer just freezing in the middle of playing a game, specifically Path of Exile. I recently changed its graphic settings from DX12 to Vulkan and it seems to have solved it as far as that goes, but I will still get random freezes and crashes...
  10. Fairly new install of Windows 11 with unexpected freezes/crashes

Fairly new install of Windows 11 with unexpected freezes/crashes: Been having a issue with the computer just freezing in the middle of playing a game, specifically Path of Exile. I recently changed its graphic settings from DX12 to Vulkan and it seems to have solved it as far as that goes, but I will still get random freezes and crashes...