Windows 10: Windows created a new user with the same name, I moved all my files to it and now I can't...

Discus and support Windows created a new user with the same name, I moved all my files to it and now I can't... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I started my notebook, logged in my user - it had the exact same name - and noticed the desktop just had the softwares, without any other files.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LucasAlbuquerque2, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Windows created a new user with the same name, I moved all my files to it and now I can't...

I started my notebook, logged in my user - it had the exact same name - and noticed the desktop just had the softwares, without any other files. Background was windows default.

My documents, my images, etc, were all empty.

I tried restarting the notebook a couple times and that user was still there. So I gave up trying to get back to my normal user and just moved everything in the 'users/myuser' folder to the new one.

That new user lasted for like 2 days, including reboots, and then after one reboot it came back to the old user - with the exact same name, as I said - and without the files, since I'd moved them to the other user.

Now I simply can't find all my files. Can you help me on that?

:)

LucasAlbuquerque2, Feb 19, 2019

2. Unable to create new User account

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you logged in with a Microsoft account or Local account?

• Are you trying to create new user account using Administrator account?
    I suggest you to run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files

Run the System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupted files. Follow these steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Please get back to us with the information required, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 19, 2019
  3. Martmcd Win User
    User file name

when you first set up the user it creates folders using the username, in windows 10 you cannot change the folder names without causing problems.

changing the username after the folders are created does not change the folder names.

the only solution is to create a new user, using the name you want for the folders,

move all the data across to the new folders

delete the 'old' user (deleting files)

rename the new user to the username you want.

Martmcd, Feb 19, 2019
  4. Windows created a new user with the same name, I moved all my files to it and now I can't...

User Name

Hi Bradford,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to have your name instead of email address at login screen.
    If you are using Microsoft account for logging to the system then it will be hard to remove email address and show your name only. However, if you want then you may create new user profile as a local account with administrator permission. In this account
    you may keep the name you want.

For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows created a new user with the same name, I moved all my files to it and now I can't...

1. Windows created a new user with the same name, I moved all my files to it and now I can't... - Similar Threads - created user same

2. I removed my previous account, but now I want to create a new user with the same account ,...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I removed my previous account, but now I want to create a new user with the same account ,...: Hello, I once removed my account on Windows 10, but later I wanted to use this same account again, so I created a new user with the same account by following these steps:Go to Start > Settings > Accounts > Family & other users.Under Other users, select Add someone else to...
  3. I removed my previous account, but now I want to create a new user with the same account ,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I removed my previous account, but now I want to create a new user with the same account ,...: Hello, I once removed my account on Windows 10, but later I wanted to use this same account again, so I created a new user with the same account by following these steps:Go to Start > Settings > Accounts > Family & other users.Under Other users, select Add someone else to...
  4. I removed my previous account, but now I want to create a new user with the same account ,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't create a pin for my new user

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I can't create a pin for my new user: So recently my laptop has requested that I log into the account I used to set it up but I used an old phone number that no-longer in use.I tried creating a new logging with my current phone number but it requires to create a pin but it not showing up.If you have any idea as...
  6. I can't create a pin for my new user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't create a pin for my new user: So recently my laptop has requested that I log into the account I used to set it up but I used an old phone number that no-longer in use.I tried creating a new logging with my current phone number but it requires to create a pin but it not showing up.If you have any idea as...
  7. I can't create a pin for my new user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name: I have a folder with pdf files like this TCH_123.pdf TCH_573.pdf EHUB_456.pdf EHUB_764.pdf and subfolders with names like TCH and EHUB I want to write a batch file to move all the files to the folder with the name that the files start with. I am a total beginner to...
  9. I can't create new file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't create new file: So while I right click, it did not show New like normally, which was weird. I really want to create folders to organize my work, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-create-new-file/6a65c53b-5864-4f0a-b3f8-e1a2a970910b
  10. How do I move all my data from my current user to a new user on the same computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I move all my data from my current user to a new user on the same computer?: Essentially I want to have the same effect as just changing the name of the user would do, except without changing the user's name. Thanks for any help you can provide! submitted by /u/DeathScrub [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Win 10 build 18362 has put all my files under a new User folder suffix .000.

2. Did windows create a new user with the same name after my 1809 update