Windows 10: Windows deactivated (and edition changed!) after recent update

Discus and support Windows deactivated (and edition changed!) after recent update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Had this PC 2 years. After the recent Windows Update it says it's not activated. ADT and LicensingDiag outputs are attached. Version 1809, OS Build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mark99k, Dec 25, 2019.

1. mark99k Win User

Windows deactivated (and edition changed!) after recent update

Had this PC 2 years. After the recent Windows Update it says it's not activated. ADT and LicensingDiag outputs are attached. Version 1809, OS Build 17763.864. Details below; some differ from the more usual scenario for these questions (of which I've read several dozen):

• Never changed any hardware. Windows has never been reinstalled or reset.
    • PC was purchased with Win10 preinstalled, so not an upgrade.
    • Purchased from Dell, so presumably genuine. Never had activation complaints til now.
    • Re-entering my key briefly confirms it's activated w/digital license, but Settings quickly reverts to saying it can't be activated, claiming the key has been used on another device (not true). Gives error code 0xC004C020. Troubleshooter there is no help.
    • Machine has always been Windows Pro, but now says it's Windows Enterprise -- ehh?? Running winver confirms this, and also says it's registered to "user name" instead of to me, as it used to.
    • The last 5 numbers of the key shown in Settings are not the last 5 of my key.
    • Entering the Googleable "default" key fails similarly.
    • In Services, Software Protection weirdly showed as "stopped" (I'm sure I'd never stopped it). I restarted it; no change.

Made 2 exhausting support calls to Microsoft, both useless. Got escalated to Level 2 but those guys apparently never answer their phones. Any clues much appreciated.

BTW am considering doing a Restore and deferring updates til next month. Bad idea? I use this PC for professional presentations so having that Activate Windows watermark is gonna look awkward.

Thanks in advance.
    Mark

:)

mark99k, Dec 25, 2019
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Dec 25, 2019
  4. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows deactivated (and edition changed!) after recent update - Similar Threads - deactivated edition changed

2. After hardware change windows was deactivated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After hardware change windows was deactivated: I recently changed hardware on my computer which had windows, when i changed most of the hardware, as to be expected, my windows had been deactivated, it still had the product ID etc. When it told me to troubleshoot it i did and followed all its steps and consulted a robot...
  3. Following a restart after a recent update Windows deactivated itself.

Following a restart after a recent update Windows deactivated itself.: Windows Update error 0xc004c003, activation trobleshooter error 0xc0ea000a. I haven't changed any hardware. I have an MSA digital license on this PC. I'm signed in with my verified MSA account. My devices page shows "no issues found". The Store says "Something happened and we...
  4. Windows deactivated after hardware change.

Windows deactivated after hardware change.: Hi. My windows has deactivated after I replaced most of my computer and I never had a digital license. I brought my computer second hand so windows was already installed and activated. I have tried the activation troubleshooter and it didn't fix my issue. I don't have the...
  5. Windows Deactivated After Motherboard Change

Windows Deactivated After Motherboard Change: I replaced a B350 MB with an X470. The boot drive is the same, CPU is the same, ram is the same, same GPUs, same extra SSDs. It's the same system except for the motherboard that I have had for about 3 years. Error code: 0xC004F211 I went through the "Troubleshoot" process...
  6. Windows deactivated after update

Windows deactivated after update: I recently updated my windows to the latest build from the one it was shipped with. After updating my product key is gone and I'm getting activation popups again and again. I tried the original product key but it won't work. Can my windows be activated or product keys are...
  7. Windows deactivated after update......

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows deactivated after update......: Recently I bought my laptop acer aspire 5 with pre activated windows 10 home...….now after an update from windows the windows is showing deactivated …nothing is shown in setting activation tab….pls guide.....[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. windows deactivated after most recent update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows deactivated after most recent update: Windows 10 pro came with my old laptop and i accidentally dropped it and cracked the screen. My friend had a laptop sitting at his house and it was stuck in the bios because the hdd was faulty, so i took it and put my hdd in it. It booted up without any issues and i decided...
  9. Windows Deactivate After update

Windows Deactivate After update: I have purchased new laptop 25 Jan 2019, it came with pre installed windows 10 home. Then after i have updated the window and restarted several times. But when everything finished, window asking for reactivation. Tried everything but issue not resolved....
  10. Windows Deactivation After Recent Hardware Upgrade

Windows Deactivation After Recent Hardware Upgrade: So i bought a prebuilt PC about a year ago, and recently decided to upgrade it because the hardware was outdated for the games i play. I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and ram. When i first booted i had a blue screen (which is irrelevant because it was a bad app) so i decided...