Windows 10: Windows decided to compress some of my files on its own...?

Discus and support Windows decided to compress some of my files on its own...? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Today I launched my PC and I noticed that some of files on the desktop have these two blue arrows pointing at each other located in the top-right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Fearghan, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Windows decided to compress some of my files on its own...?

Today I launched my PC and I noticed that some of files on the desktop have these two blue arrows pointing at each other located in the top-right corner of the icon. Based on my quick research in Google, I discovered that these mean compression. But... I haven't set them as compressed by myself. Why has Windows done it?

submitted by /u/Fearghan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Fearghan, Jul 15, 2020
  2. geno368 Win User

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Jul 15, 2020
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Compress files??

It all depends on the contents. Back in the early days of DVD games, they had plenty of space compared to CD's. So they left stuff uncompressed on the DVD itself. Compressing such ISO image would result in very high compression ratio. But these days, even DVD discs are becoming small and game companies are already using data compression to fit more data on the same DVD. And since you cannot compress already compressed data, you're seeing more and more of the 99% compresion ratio moments.

Good examples of such scenarios is when you want to compres uncompressed WAV file and a MP3 file. WAV is not compressed and you can decrease its size significantly. You might gain few kilobytes when trying to compress already compressed MP3. The same is with images. You can compress BMP images rather well but when compressing JPG images, you won't really gain anything as its already compressed.

There are few very specialized algorithms that may gain some more compression out of already compressed data, but the gains are usually very small and usually not worth the extra compression time needed to perform the compression itself. Plus you can only use them to compress very specific data files.

RejZoR, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows decided to compress some of my files on its own...?

So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows decided to compress some of my files on its own...?

1. Windows decided to compress some of my files on its own...? - Similar Threads - decided compress files

2. my laptop is working on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop is working on its own: I have lenovo ideapad 100 with windows 10. From past few weeks it has started working on its own.It scrolls down itself. If I try to open some app it opens another one which is located below the app I want to use.Please help if someone is able guide me.Thank you...
  3. my laptop is working on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my laptop is working on its own: I have lenovo ideapad 100 with windows 10. From past few weeks it has started working on its own.It scrolls down itself. If I try to open some app it opens another one which is located below the app I want to use.Please help if someone is able guide me.Thank you...
  4. my wallpaper changes on its own

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    my wallpaper changes on its own: hello I had a laptop that was stolen from me a couple days ago And I really think its someone who lives close to me but I didn't have any proof I tried locating it and everything but I couldn't find it so I just accepted my lose and bought a new laptop for work I...
  5. Does Windows access files on its own?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does Windows access files on its own?: Hello, I seem to have a question that I can't find an answer to. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help. So recently I had downloaded and installed a program called "Anvil Studio." I remembered using this program a long time ago and was planning on using it...
  6. Window downgraded on its own

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window downgraded on its own: I bought my dell laptop in late 2015. Windows 10 came pre-installed. I have been using it since then. Today, when I switched on my system, it ran into some problem for which system suggested to do run hardware repair. After an hour or so, the process completed and my system...
  7. My Laptop Resested on its Own

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Laptop Resested on its Own: My work laptop started to slow down yesterday's afternoon and completed frozed. I tried restarting the laptop and it never did, so I went home. Today, I turn on of the laptop and my account is no longer there, but it still asks me for the password. Once I logged, it...
  8. Edge closing PDF files on its own

Edge closing PDF files on its own: When will Microsoft fix the problem with Edge closing PDF files on its own? If I can't work with a PDF because of Edge, then I need other software. BTW, I did not ask for Edge nor its incumbent problems!...
  9. My windows won't reboot on its own

My windows won't reboot on its own: Hie guys, I own an Inspiron 3567 7th gen i5 laptop computer. Lately I've been having trouble with installing my graphics driver as its crashing my PC, per advice from Microsoft I performed a system restore and installed all my drivers barring the video driver from Dell Tech...
  10. Onedrive deleted files on its own, creating its own folders with no content

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive deleted files on its own, creating its own folders with no content: OneDrive deleted a folder containing downloads of financial PDFs. I did not do this because I used them yesterday. They appear in the OneDrive recycle bin on the website but the website will not restore the files because it says they are already on the computer, which they...