Windows 10: Windows default screen bug

Discus and support Windows default screen bug in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] help what to do submitted by /u/notgwynnbaniqued [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/notgwynnbaniqued, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Windows default screen bug

/u/notgwynnbaniqued, Jan 24, 2021
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Windows default screen bug :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jan 24, 2021
  3. yoyoma2 Win User
    On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

This On-Screen Keyboard bug changes the current foreground window.

Steps:

1. Open Edge and notepad and maximize them (never minimize them)
    2. Select notepad by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    3. Open the On-Screen Keyboard (in Windows Ease of access)
    4. Type a few characters into notepad with the On-Screen Keyboard
    5. Minimize the On-Screen Keyboard
    6. Select Edge by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    7. Restore the On-Screen Keyboard by clicking on it in taskbar and use it to type into Edge
    Result:

Notepad is now on top

Expected result:

Edge remains on top i.e. the On-Screen Keyboard maintains the current foreground window in which you intended to type.

History:

This superuser Q&A contains links to this bug being reported in windows 8, windows 7 and claims it goes back 17 years to Windows XP.

Workarounds:

Kill the On-Screen Keyboard every time instead of minimizing it. The bug occurs because the On-Screen Keyboard fails to keep track of the current foreground window while minimized.

Patch out the SetForegroundWindow call from the On-Screen Keyboard binary as described in the superuser link above.

Wait 17 more years for Microsoft to fix it.

Tell user to stop being disabled.

yoyoma2, Jan 24, 2021
  4. Ender Win User

Windows default screen bug

Setting the default input method for the Windows 10 login screen

I had the same question but with French being the default on Windows 10 rather than the one I wanted so I ended up here.

HoD is very close. I was able to use his suggestion to find the solution for me. This solution uses your current display and input language to change the Welcome screen and possible for new user accounts if you want. So make sure you have the display and input settings while logged in that you want to apply to the login screen before doing the steps:

1. Click the language on the Taskbar.
    2. Then click Language preferences.
    3. At the bottom under "Related settings," click "additional date, time, & regional settings" which opens the control panel
    4. Click the "Region" option
    5. Then go to the far right tab "Administrative". (HoD's step 2)
    6. In the "Welcome screen and new user accounts" click copy settings. (HoD's step 3)
    7. Tick "Welcome screen and system accounts" (and "new user accounts" if you want it to be applied to those as well). (HoD's step 4)
    8. Click Ok. (HoD's step 5)

I was able to use HoD's suggestion to find the solution here. It's for Windows 8.1, but works on 10 so far.

Hope it will help you, too!

Ender, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Windows default screen bug

1. Windows default screen bug - Similar Threads - default screen bug

2. Screen bug?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen bug?: how to get rid of this rectangular shape on my desktop it can only be seen on my background and every time I change it, it is always there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-bug/4c46f85f-3db4-46a3-aaaa-26b40044829f
  3. Screen bug?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen bug?: how to get rid of this rectangular shape on my desktop it can only be seen on my background and every time I change it, it is always there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-bug/4c46f85f-3db4-46a3-aaaa-26b40044829f
  4. Screen bug?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Second screen bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second screen bug: Hello i have the following setup : Asus ROG Strix GL512LW 2060 RTX i710870H and a scenond screen that is an Asus Tuf VG27WQ1B, and my problem is :after my laptop powers of, enters sleep mode, after i will do anything that will stop the signal to travel from my laptop to the...
  6. Login screen bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Login screen bug: Sometimes when turning my computer on, the login screen will "slide up" an extra time while I am entering my PIN. Anybody else have this problem? submitted by /u/azuranc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jxr8e4/login_screen_bug/
  7. Windows default apps bugging out.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows default apps bugging out.: Hello, so I've encountered this issue since I installed Windows Windows 10 Pro, which is that any of the Windows default apps bug out. What basically happens, is they work fine, like I can launch them Paint 3d, Photo's, etc. but as soon as I want to press a button on the...
  8. Windows UI screens are bugged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows UI screens are bugged: When I select any menu item, it automatically focuses the one before it in the group (I guess?) until it reaches the first item. This only happens on Windows UI screens like Settings etc, including the action center. Doesn't happen anywhere else. Anyone know what might be...
  9. Default app bugged

Default app bugged: Hi, I accidentally set the Windows's notepad as default app for the extension .sql. Then I have tried to set sqldeveloper and notepad++ but now it is bugged. If I try to open a file .sql, it is shown this: <path to notepad++> "%1". If I click ok, the file is not opened and...
  10. Bug when switching default browser

Bug when switching default browser: Hi all! When switching my default browser from Edge to literally anything else it encourages me not to, stating that Edge is "new, fast, and built for Windows 10". While that statement is arguably at least 66% true (congrats on being more honest than most Microsoft...