Windows 10: Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news

Discus and support Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is working on an updated version of the official Windows weather application. The new version of the Weather application has new features but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 24, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news

Microsoft is working on an updated version of the official Windows weather application. The new version of the Weather application has new features but displays advertisement in a prominent location as well. The current version of the Weather app does not have any ads.

Windows users on Windows 10 or 11 devices may load the Weather app from the Start Menu. They may also pin the app to the taskbar for fast access.

The Weather app makes a few preparations on first start before it displays weather details to the user. Here is a screenshot of the current Weather app on a stable version of Windows 11.

Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news windows-11-weather-app.png

The startpage of the Weather application displays the current temperatur, an hourly and weekly forecast, and more information. There are also options to load maps and 3D maps, access historical weather information, or display weather information for favorite locations.

The new Weather app, which is already integrated into development builds of Windows, offers quite the different experience. Windows testers may need to check for updates in the Microsoft Store before the new version becomes available. It has version 4.53.51085 at the time of writing, but new versions may be released that increment the version.

The new Windows Weather app has more features and options, which some of its users may appreciate. Here is a screenshot of the first page that you see when you launch it.

Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news new-weather-app-windows-11.png

Note that the page adjusts to the screen resolution. You may notice the map that is now displayed and that the app has more colors and information about favorites right on the startpage.

What you may also notice is the ad that the Weather app displays now on it as well. This ad loads automatically and it may reload in intervals to display new ads.

There is also a new Suggestions section, which may suggest to take an umbrella with you or the type of clothing that it considers most appropriate for the weather.

Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news new-weather-app.png

When you scroll down, you get a list of several map views that you may access, and below that trending news. The section includes ads as well, and brings news from MSN to the Weather app as well.

Microsoft is pushing MSN News and Microsoft Account services into different areas of the Windows operating system. The new Weather app has a few additional new features, such as hourly and monthly forecasts.

Windows users who do not want the new weather app may want to turn off automatic application updates in the Microsoft Store. It is a temporary recourse only, as the next feature update will update all native apps automatically.

To do so, open the Microsoft Store app, click on the profile icon at the top, and select Settings. Uncheck "app updates" there to block the Store from updating applications automatically. Individual apps may be upgraded via the library feature in Store at any time.

Closing Words

Microsoft continues its push of news and ads in Windows. It is unclear when the new Weather app update will be released to stable versions, but it is certain that the update will be released later this year.

Now You: what is your take on Microsoft's current strategy? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 24, 2023
  2. rajan_27 Win User

Default weather source in Windows 10 weather app

Step 1: Checked for the latest update in settings.

Step 2: Installed weather app (Accuweather) from Windows Store.

Step 3: Followed all the instructions by Lacrumb.

Result: Don't see newly installed weather app. Unable to untick/unclick both available weather protocols.

Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news 03e04ed4-3d93-4496-8d5d-4189d0f02bee.png

rajan_27, Apr 24, 2023
  3. Windows 10 Weather App imperial measures

Hi Miccamuk,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I can understand how frustrating it could be when things go unusual. I will certainly help you.

To guide you in right direction we want to know:

• Are you using Local Account or Microsoft Account?

We suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

• Open Weather App.
    • Go to Settings at the bottom left corner in Weather App.
    • Go to General tab.
    • Select show temperature in Fahrenheit
    • Select your location and set it to default.
    • Close the App once you make changes and reopen.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, Apr 24, 2023
  4. Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news

Default weather source in Windows 10 weather app

We appreciate your effort to clarify the goal you wish to accomplish. You may change the default weather source from Foreca to other weather sources if the weather source is an app you can install from Windows Store. Kindly try to install one weather source
    or app from Windows Store then follow the steps provided Lacrumb again. Let us know if that resolves your concern.

Regards.

Vanessa Oca, Apr 24, 2023
Thema:

Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news

1. Windows' default Weather App will soon have ads and news - Similar Threads - Windows' default Weather

2. Taskbar News And Weather

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar News And Weather: Why is the News and Weather available only when the taskbar is at the bottom? I prefer my taskbar being at the top of the screen but it isn't available when set there....
  3. Weather and news widget, change the default browser

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weather and news widget, change the default browser: So I'm really liking the new widget contrary to many people but there is one big catch I really hate that it opens everything on edge. Is there a way to change this behavior ? submitted by /u/BlackFireAlex [link] [comments]...
  4. Weather and news bar

Weather and news bar: How to change this stupid °F to °C in new weather and news bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weather-and-news-bar/3b465c5a-058e-4e25-99d1-a44d345e47b2
  5. News and interests "Weather" app megathread.

News and interests "Weather" app megathread.: Love it or hate it the News and Interests app is here and you have to deal with it. And as annoying as the app may be for some of you it's not as annoying as 100 posts ranting about it and thus, this megathread was born. How do I disable it? Right click -> News and...
  6. News & Interests/Weather Widget

News & Interests/Weather Widget: Regarding the new News & Interests/Weather Widget, I would like to know how to UNSYNC it across 2 devices using the same account so that both devices can be in different languages. I have SYNC off in Windows settings & also off on Edge settings, yet every time I change the...
  7. News and Weather Function

News and Weather Function: How do I get the news and weather function on my PC. I have kept checking for updates, and going into taskbar settings and could not figure out how to. submitted by /u/uno_arjuno [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/nc853f/news_and_weather_function/
  8. Have 21H1, but no news/weather in taskbar

Have 21H1, but no news/weather in taskbar: Maybe I'm crazy and the only person who was looking forward to this new feature... But I have installed the new update (through the windows insider programme), and I don't have the news feed/weather in my task bar. Does anybody have an idea? submitted by /u/SaccenteKennedy...
  9. ms weather app not adding places to Favorites

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms weather app not adding places to Favorites: I cannot add Orlando Florida to my favorites list other cities are no problem and then I can't delete some they keep reappearing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-weather-app-not-adding-places-to-favorites/b8e8a9aa-ef2f-4c39-828d-b3564f24d0e1
  10. Beware app updates for news , sport, weather and money

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Beware app updates for news , sport, weather and money: On all our computers after installing these latest app updates on my user account most of them wouldn't launch on the other family user accounts in the aftermath. On my account they were fine but for example on my sons weather, money and sport wouldn't open. Clicking did...