Windows 10: Windows Defender "Action Needed" but there's no malware detection

Discus and support Windows Defender "Action Needed" but there's no malware detection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Every time on startup, my Windows Defender shows a 'action needed symbol' with a caution mark in a triangle which disappears a few moments later and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nick 08, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Nick 08 Win User

Windows Defender "Action Needed" but there's no malware detection

Every time on startup, my Windows Defender shows a 'action needed symbol' with a caution mark in a triangle which disappears a few moments later and gets replaced with the 'no action needed' symbol with a tick in a green circle.I scanned my computer several times with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender, but I have found no malware.is it possible that the malware is hiding and cannot be detected?I don't know why that happens.Someone please explain this and help me.

:)

Nick 08, Oct 12, 2021

2. Windows Defender notification of malware detection

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate your continued patience on this issue.

At this point, I suggest you to update the Windows Defender program and check if it helps.

To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also, check if the detection is of the same malware file or not. Again, see if it is any specific program or a file you try to access which triggers the detection.

Additionally, view the log in Event Viewer to check if the malware is removed every time it is prompted.

To open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.
    You can view Windows Defender "Operational" events in Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender.

Kindly keep us posted, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 12, 2021
  3. mmast Win User
    Windows Defender Reports Malware, Taking Care of it, No Further Action Required, Yet History is Empty

Windows Defender running on Windows 10 Pro x64 pops up a message (lower right corner of screen) that it detected malware, that it is taking care of the threat and that no further action is required. When I open the Defender UI and click on the History tab
    and view All detected items, the list is empty.

Isn't this a bug in Defender? Either there was no malware and it should not have reported that there was, or there was malware and it should be in the list of detected items.

mmast, Oct 12, 2021
  4. Windows Defender "Action Needed" but there's no malware detection

windows 10 - detected Malware notification - no action required.

Hi Manoj,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Open Settings.

• Click on System and click on Notifications and Actions.

• Under Show notifications for these apps turn off the setting for Windows defender.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 12, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender "Action Needed" but there's no malware detection

1. Windows Defender "Action Needed" but there's no malware detection - Similar Threads - Defender Action Needed

2. Same Malware Detected by Windows 11 Defender Repeatedly but cannot perform action

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Same Malware Detected by Windows 11 Defender Repeatedly but cannot perform action: There was a post titled very similarly to this but in my case, windows defender won't actually perform any actions.At 9:40pm, my laptop detected a virus, which I think I blocked via windows defender and now both windows safety scanner and malwarebytes free trial both say...
  3. Same Malware Detected by Windows 11 Defender Repeatedly but cannot perform action

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Same Malware Detected by Windows 11 Defender Repeatedly but cannot perform action: There was a post titled very similarly to this but in my case, windows defender won't actually perform any actions.At 9:40pm, my laptop detected a virus, which I think I blocked via windows defender and now both windows safety scanner and malwarebytes free trial both say...
  4. Defender detected malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender detected malware: Hi,in my environment the file 7zG.exe got deployed automatically to 100+ devices not manually or not from SCCM- not sure how it got deployed the defender has detected malware in it due to this, we have received 100+ alert generated for the same and still continuing.does this...
  5. Windows Defender won't detect any Malware

Windows Defender won't detect any Malware: Split from this thread.Good for you every time I run a full scan it never finds anything which is disturbing. I have a feeling Defender isn't as good as they claim and my PC is full of viruses....
  6. Windows Defender detects malware

Windows Defender detects malware: Windows defender did a full scan and found 2 threats. What do i do now?[Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-detects-malware/6b0a7007-f934-4c49-b0d9-10b0f3dc349e
  7. Windows Defender Malware Detection

Windows Defender Malware Detection: I get a notice into about half way through a quick scan that preliminary results show malware or unwanted programs may be on your computer. Results will be shown in Details after scan completes. I get this now on every scan I do including full scan. At completion there is...
  8. Windows Defender did not detect Malware

Windows Defender did not detect Malware: Hi -- MS phone support REALLY sucks!! The Spanish speaking latin rep just hung up! She was so adamant on repeating her answer and refused to listen to my situation. Anyway. I ran Defender (Win 10) both full scan and offline. The app detected nothing. I had doubts that I...
  9. Windows Defender won't suggest actions for malware it found

Windows Defender won't suggest actions for malware it found: I am running a Windows 10 PC with the following specifications: [ATTACH] I ran a Windows Defender scan, and at one point it reported a Threat. I am also using F-Secure SAFE, which when scanning found no threats. When running new scans Windows Defender and F-Secure won't...
  10. Problem with Windows Defender, needed action

Problem with Windows Defender, needed action: When I had this laptop upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro I asked the tech to name it "xxxxx". He did that and whenever I fired up the machine I got "xxxxx Welcome". Last week I received an update from Microsoft and at the end of its installation (1 hour) the laptop told me...