Windows 10: Windows Defender and Backup and Restore interaction

Discus and support Windows Defender and Backup and Restore interaction in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I went to do a Backup and Restore on a Windows 10 computer, only to have the backup fail with a report of malware being found. But wait!! Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by snowshed, Dec 16, 2020.

1. snowshed Win User

Windows Defender and Backup and Restore interaction

I went to do a Backup and Restore on a Windows 10 computer, only to have the backup fail with a report of malware being found.

But wait!! Windows Defender is running, how does that happen? Discocvered that Defender didn't deal with a number issues, etx.

But I'm wondering what triggers Backup and Restore to know there's an issue.

:)

snowshed, Dec 16, 2020
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Dec 16, 2020
  3. installing windows 10 backup and restore later

1. Backup Vista
    2. Upgrade Vista->Windows 7 -> Windows 10. Get activated.
    3. Backup Windows 10.
    4. Clean Install Windows 10. Make sure still activated
    5. Backup a fresh copy of Windows 10
    6. Restore

To perform step 4 i will need to have downloaded an iso and create a dvd or usb to boot from.....so will not this ISO be ok and the one you mention ?

reddwarf4ever, Dec 16, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Windows Defender and  Backup and Restore interaction [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Defender and Backup and Restore interaction - Similar Threads - Defender Backup Restore

2. Windows Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Backup and Restore: How reliable is Windows Backup and Restore Windows 7 for creating a system image?Also, is there a difference between System Image and Windows Backup?Thanks,James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore/e6ea8f8e-d195-4852-ba79-787e124e1f55
  3. Windows Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Backup and Restore: How reliable is Windows Backup and Restore Windows 7 for creating a system image?Also, is there a difference between System Image and Windows Backup?Thanks,James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore/e6ea8f8e-d195-4852-ba79-787e124e1f55
  4. Backup and restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore: So I am trying to use Windows backup and restore tool on my Sony Vaio laptop and I can't get it to work someone please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/82ca9cbf-e2a1-4116-83d7-002735c2c3be
  5. Windows Backup and Restore

Windows Backup and Restore: I've recently lost everything on my windows 10 laptop when all auto repairs and everything else failed to work. However, I was able to use the HP Recovery System to backup my files before I did a clean installation. Now, after running restore program, I see my software but...
  6. Windows Backup and Restore

Windows Backup and Restore: When I attempt to backup my PC using Windows Backup and Restore, the backup fails almost immediately. The message window states: Check your backup. A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. Details: The...
  7. Windows backup restore

Windows backup restore: Hi! I made a backup of laptop on my external hard drive before replacing the internal hard drive. Now that I've reinstalled Windows on the new drive, I want to restore the backup. Unfortunately, the Backup and Restore in the Control Panel won't recognize that I have a...
  8. Windows Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows Backup and Restore: I created an image on a multiple partition hard drive and then had to do a repair install. I did the following: 1. Deleted the image. 2. Tried to create the image: a. Selected partition with no problem but would not go to next operation of selecting what to backup. 3. Deleted...
  9. Restoring backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring backup: Hi I have windows 10 installed on an SSD. I backup the entire SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. I now want to restore the windows 10 installation. Do I need to restore the entire SSD or can I just restore the C partition ? Whats the best way ? Thanks 27393
  10. Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings and Rules in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows...