Windows 10: Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Discus and support Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SydneyZeilstra, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my inexperience.

I do a lot of scrapbooking. Once I complete a page, I scan it with Adobe Photoshop and save it to my Scanned Scrapbook Page folder under Documents.

Each time I try to save a file, I get a warning message leading with the file path then stating File not Found. Check the file name and try again. It appears the only way I can save the file is to open the Windows Defender and turn off Controlled Folder Access, save the file and then turn it back on again. However, the way I understand it, the Controlled Folder Access option is for Apps. I don't believe you can Add (I have tried unsuccessfully) a folder thru the Add an Allowed App option.

Removing the folder from the Protected Folders doesn't seem to work either. I still get the error message.

How can I save these files to a folder under my Documents folder without having to turn Controlled Folder Access on and off each time I want to save a file? Seems like there should be a much easier way to accomplish this task.

Thanks for any assistance.

:)

SydneyZeilstra, Feb 1, 2019
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Unable to Remove Exclusions from Windows Defender

Thank you for posting back. If you trust a file, file type, folder, or a process that Windows Defender Antivirus has detected as malicious, you can stop Windows Defender Antivirus from alerting you or blocking the program by adding the file to
    the exclusion list. It seems that it was added automatically. We suggest that you follow these steps:

• Go to Settings and select Update & security.
    • Click Windows Defender.
    • Look for Exclusions and select Add an exclusion.
    • Navigate to the file, folder, or process, and select Exclude this file.

If the steps provided did not work, we recommend that you boot your device to
    Safe Mode
    and redo the process.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Feb 1, 2019
  3. Jsssssssss, Feb 1, 2019
  4. Mala_S Win User

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender ignoring exclusions

Hello JacenBoy,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how frustrating it feels when such Setting stop functioning. To have better clarity on the issue and guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer?

Meanwhile, if you are on Windows 10 Pro build, you will be able to access Group Policy settings. To configure exclusions to a folder or a file, can be enabled through gpedit. To do that, you may follow the article on

Configure and validate exclusions based on file extension and folder location

We await your response.

Regards,

Mala.S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

1. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions - Similar Threads - Defender Controlled Folder

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. windows defender exclusions

windows defender exclusions: My excluded list does not show up..so i cannot remove an added exclusion.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-exclusions/86936ada-950c-4a94-8bc3-28269b62a257
  4. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off: Conrolled folder access turns it self off when i click it to turn it on. i need help [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-controlled-folder-access-turn-off/67e73935-1c11-4e63-b5b3-6be93eebe7b2
  5. Adding folder to exclusions list in Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding folder to exclusions list in Windows Defender: Hey guys, I have a folder that I am using for a programming class provided by my instructor, however Windows Defender is flagging it as a virus. He advised me that there is a way to prevent windows defender from scanning it, however I myself couldn't figure out how to add...
  6. DEFENDER EXCLUSION CANT ACCESS

DEFENDER EXCLUSION CANT ACCESS: AVAST ANTI VIRUS WILL NOT OPEN AS IT IS STOPPED BY DEFENDER.CAN'T ACCESS DEFENDER SETTINGS TO ALLOW NEW UPDATE .AVAST IS CURRENTLY SET UP AS MAIN SECURITY https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-exclusion-cant-access/6829f177-1a9d-4057-827b-d4e0e53852c1"
  7. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access: When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just...
  8. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  9. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?: I spoke too soon. Some Microsoft apps are now being blocked from making changes. It would be nice to know what's whitelisted by default.
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. controlled folder access allow exclusions