Windows 10: Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to start & unknown status

Discus and support Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to start & unknown status in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm currently on Windows 10 - 1909. Windows defender refuses to start. The status is always "unknown". When I try to enable the real time protection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TechByrder, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to start & unknown status

I'm currently on Windows 10 - 1909. Windows defender refuses to start. The status is always "unknown". When I try to enable the real time protection nothing happens.

I'm currently on Windows 1909. Windows defender refuses to start. The status is always "unknown". When I try to enable the real time protection nothing happens. No other antivirus is installed.

There are no errors in the event log. MsMpEng.exe is running in the background

Current Version info:

Service Version: 4.18.2005.5

Engine Version: 1.1.17200.2

AntiSpyware Signature Version: 1.319.502.0

AntiVirus Signature Version: 1.319.502.0

https://i.imgur.com/9cxO541.png

What I already tried:

1. Reverting to an older Windows Defender version
    2. SFC
    3. DISM
    4. Chkdsk
    5. Checking the registry if Windows defender is disabled
    6. Installing the definition update manually
    7. Virus-scan with Hitman Pro, Kaspersky Antivirus Tool (no installation), Adwcleaner

Do you have some more ideas?

Thanks

submitted by /u/TechByrder
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TechByrder, Jun 30, 2020
  2. afornal Win User

Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, Jun 30, 2020
  3. davidhk Win User
    Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to start & unknown status [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Jun 30, 2020
  4. humbird Win User

Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to start & unknown status

humbird, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to start & unknown status

1. Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to start & unknown status - Similar Threads - Defender Antivirus refuses

2. The windows defender firewall service refuses to start.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The windows defender firewall service refuses to start.: Hello, i have started having a problem with the Windows defender firewall. When i try to restore it's defaults using the control panel, i get this screen: [ATTACH] And when i press 'Use recommended settings' it gives me this error: [ATTACH] When I try to start it through...
  3. STATUS UNKNOWN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    STATUS UNKNOWN: [ATTACH] Anyone who knows how to fix this issue? "Status unknown..." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/status-unknown/a72f88a7-8794-421f-bb91-c783a6d72424
  4. Microsoft Defender maintains its best Windows 10 antivirus status

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Defender maintains its best Windows 10 antivirus status: Windows Defender, originally known as Microsoft Security Essentials, has been around for some time in its current form and it’s getting better with every Windows 10 release. On Windows 10, Microsoft has integrated Firewall, Family Safety, Performance & Health and other...
  5. Can't start Windows Defender Antivirus

Can't start Windows Defender Antivirus: I have a laptop that came with McAfee and Bitdefender software. Both subscriptions expired. I uninstalled both so that I can just use Windows defender, but it won't start. I get the following message: "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization". I...
  6. Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to update: Hello. I am here with another problem with my laptop. I am using Windows 10 build 1809 too. I want to install build 1909, but as I do so, it does say Windows Defender is pending an update, and after lots of minutes, even almost an hour, it gets stuck on: "Security...
  7. Defender achieves best antivirus status.

Defender achieves best antivirus status.: Thought I would share this Windows Defender Achieves 'Best Antivirus' Status 138051
  8. Windows Defender Antivirus scan couldn't be started

Windows Defender Antivirus scan couldn't be started: "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" Can someone help me on the above message please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-antivirus-scan-couldnt-be-started/a0e0a523-caf7-4098-8221-036c349b47cc
  9. Windows Defender Antivirus wont start

Windows Defender Antivirus wont start: Hello, I have a 4 day old new HP computer and I want to run Windows Defender. I had a free trial version of McAfee. I uninstalled McAfee using their uninstaller. Windows Defender antivirus wont start. I get a message: "unexpected error. sorry, we ran into a problem please try...
  10. Windows 10 - Windows Defender Antivirus will not START.

Windows 10 - Windows Defender Antivirus will not START.: I have a relatively new Lenovo laptop with "10' and one day I noticed DEFENDER ANTIVIRUS WAS OFF [a RED "X"] and when I tried to START IT, I get a popup window that says: UNEXPECTED ERROR. SORRY, WE RAN INTO A PROBLEM. PLEASE TRY AGAIN. (NO KIDDING) That was several weeks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virus & threat protection updates unknown