Windows 10: Windows Defender Antivirus Service - Mix of Manual and Automatic Win 10 v1903 x64

Discus and support Windows Defender Antivirus Service - Mix of Manual and Automatic Win 10 v1903 x64 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; We have an application problem that the vendor blames on Windows Defender Antivirus. We use Group Policy to disable Windows Defender going back to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by EddieR78701, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Windows Defender Antivirus Service - Mix of Manual and Automatic Win 10 v1903 x64

We have an application problem that the vendor blames on Windows Defender Antivirus. We use Group Policy to disable Windows Defender going back to Windows 7 because we use a non-Microsoft antivirus product whose documentation said to disable. So I was quite surprised that on this employee's PC to find the Windows Defender Antivirus service set to Automatic. I checked several systems and sometimes the service is set to Manual and other times it is set to Automatic. Resultant Set of Policies shows that the setting is correct and the registry key that supports this matches. PCs in the same OU as well I always use RSoP to verify group policy is applying.

Any thoughts on why the service would not be set identically on all systems who have the same GPO set? All of these systems were originally 1809 and upgraded to 1903 and the GPO setting has been in place going back before Windows 10 was adopted.

Any thoughts on how to get the service set to Manual since the UI for Windows Defender is not available? Tamper Protection is enabled per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-antivirus/prevent-changes-to-security-settings-with-tamper-protection#turn-tamper-protection-on-or-off-for-an-individual-machine and we do not have Intune licenses.

GPO Setting:

Location: Computer Configuration - Administative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Defender Antivirus

Setting: Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus - Set to Enabled Enabled = it is not supposed to run or scan

:)

EddieR78701, Sep 4, 2020
  2. afornal Win User

Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Windows Defender Not Working in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I suggest you to Set Windows Defender to Automatic - You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these
    steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.
    • Search for Windows defender.
    • Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.
    Also, follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Windows Defender Antivirus Service - Mix of Manual and Automatic Win 10 v1903 x64

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender Antivirus Service - Mix of Manual and Automatic Win 10 v1903 x64

1. Windows Defender Antivirus Service - Mix of Manual and Automatic Win 10 v1903 x64 - Similar Threads - Defender Antivirus Service

2. Services keeps become manual/automatic

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Services keeps become manual/automatic: Hi. Those services BITS, Update Orchestrator Service, WIndows Update and Windows Update Medic Service keeps re-enable themselves after like 1 week when i disable them...
  3. Services keeps become manual/automatic

in Windows 10 Customization
    Services keeps become manual/automatic: Hi. Those services BITS, Update Orchestrator Service, WIndows Update and Windows Update Medic Service keeps re-enable themselves after like 1 week when i disable them...
  4. Services keeps become manual/automatic

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Manual install of Microsoft Defender Antivirus update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Manual install of Microsoft Defender Antivirus update: Hello,I have a laptop that does not have access to internet. I still need to scan it and update antivirus definition file.I download the file from PC that has access to internet, then transfer it to laptop and try to install update. I do it using command line and running...
  6. Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated

Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated: Hello, I have problem with Windows Defender on Windows 10 Home (20H2 version). I'm still getting this error in Event Viewer: The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error: General access denied error I already tried to use sfc /scannow...
  7. How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”?

How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”?: Windows 10.0.18362.778: How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”? I couldn’t figure out how to stop “windows defender antivirus service” [img] 154767
  8. Windows defender Antivirus in different Win 10 products

Windows defender Antivirus in different Win 10 products: Hi , I would like to know is the function of Windows Defender Antivirus in Win 10 Pro and Win 10 IoT Ent LTSC are the same. We would like to change the product from Pro to IoT Enterprise, however our customer has question about this function. Please someone knows this...
  9. Windows Defender antivirus service

Windows Defender antivirus service: Hello, i tried running my windows defender antivirus service from "services" buh i couldn't. The detail file needed to for the service, 'MsMpEng.exe' was also not running, i tried running that also but couldn't. Please i need your help, my machine is crashing down with virus...
  10. BITS service manual or automatic?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    BITS service manual or automatic?: Hey all I'm just wondering whether it matters if the BITS services is in manual or automatic (delayed start) since it has a habit of switch from the former to the latter. I'm not interested in disabling it as I still want my updates checked automatically (controversial I...