Windows 10: Windows Defender Antivirus wont start

Discus and support Windows Defender Antivirus wont start in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I have a 4 day old new HP computer and I want to run Windows Defender. I had a free trial version of McAfee. I uninstalled McAfee using their... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kirbyk, Nov 17, 2018.

1. kirbyk Win User

Windows Defender Antivirus wont start

Hello, I have a 4 day old new HP computer and I want to run Windows Defender. I had a free trial version of McAfee. I uninstalled McAfee using their uninstaller. Windows Defender antivirus wont start. I get a message: "unexpected error. sorry, we ran into a problem please try again."

:)

kirbyk, Nov 17, 2018
  2. afornal Win User

Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Defender AntiVirus

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this to Microsoft Community. Let's try to start Windows Defender services and see if it helps. Follow these steps:

• Press Windows + R key and type
      Windows Defender Antivirus wont start [​IMG]
      Services.msc and press Enter.
    • Search for the service "Windows Defender".
    • Right click on "Windows Defender" and click Properties.
    • Click Start button.
    • Click Apply and Ok to save changes.
    • Restart the computer and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Marvin Barc, Nov 17, 2018
  4. Le Boule Win User

Windows defender antivirus

Any other security program installed?

The behavior you are describing may
    sometimes occur if another antivirus program is installed or there are remnants of a third party antivirus program still installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...b59cebc4f24/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device."

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

See theAnswer
    of quietman7 in this thread:windowsdefender wont turn on

If you cannot resolve an issue with WD, you may want to try the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include (but not limited to) running SFC, scanning for malware and running the software removal tools for any security software
    (AVG, Baidu, Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer (to include a trial version of McAfee, Norton, etc that may have been on the computer when it was new) followed by a restart of the computer. See List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

Alternatively - - -

You may prefer to install a third party antimalware program (which should disable Windows Defender).

There are a number of viable free and paid options available – take your pick…

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Is Windows Defender The Best For Windows
    10?
    Good article but ignore the ads.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win10

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them.

Le Boule, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Antivirus wont start - Similar Threads - Defender Antivirus wont

2. Windows Defender Antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Antivirus: I uninstalled my antivirus software which is mcafee live safe and Windows defender antivirus did not become active automatically. I can't find a way to re enable it. [ATTACH]...
  3. Can't start Windows Defender Antivirus

Can't start Windows Defender Antivirus: I have a laptop that came with McAfee and Bitdefender software. Both subscriptions expired. I uninstalled both so that I can just use Windows defender, but it won't start. I get the following message: "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization". I...
  4. Windows Defender and Antivirus

Windows Defender and Antivirus: Most of the users do not want to use paid Antivirus software and use Windows Defender Antivirus. But some do have trust on Microsoft Defender and use paid anti-virus software.But what is your response? Comment below....
  5. windows defender antivirus

windows defender antivirus: hi, in my windows defender security center's virus and threat protection it says "Your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization". How can i change it....
  6. Windows Defender Antivirus scan couldn't be started

Windows Defender Antivirus scan couldn't be started: "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" Can someone help me on the above message please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-antivirus-scan-couldnt-be-started/a0e0a523-caf7-4098-8221-036c349b47cc
  7. Windows defender antivirus

Windows defender antivirus: I have been writing programs on my computer system for years and after the last windows 10 update the defender destroys the program. It's driving me crazy. The program I write is written with Swiftforth and every time I compile the program after its destruction and try to...
  8. windows defender antivirus

windows defender antivirus: my pc windows defender antivirus suddenly stoppped. i tried to turn it on or even restarting but its denying .its always displaying a "out of date" message .i am trying to update it but no progress...
  9. Windows Defender Antivirus

Windows Defender Antivirus: The scan found a trojan virus and to remove it is asking for my password which I enter and it doesnot accept https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/windows-defender-antivirus/ced9f7a5-7bb6-44fe-8b92-20909e49f6ea
  10. Windows 10 - Windows Defender Antivirus will not START.

Windows 10 - Windows Defender Antivirus will not START.: I have a relatively new Lenovo laptop with "10' and one day I noticed DEFENDER ANTIVIRUS WAS OFF [a RED "X"] and when I tried to START IT, I get a popup window that says: UNEXPECTED ERROR. SORRY, WE RAN INTO A PROBLEM. PLEASE TRY AGAIN. (NO KIDDING) That was several weeks...