Windows 10: Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on

Discus and support Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I get prompts telling me I need to turn on Windows Defender Antivirus every time I turn on my laptop. When I go to the security center I do not have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by VikkiJH, Jul 12, 2018.

1. VikkiJH Win User

Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on

I get prompts telling me I need to turn on Windows Defender Antivirus every time I turn on my laptop. When I go to the security center I do not have the option to switch any of the toggles to On, they just remain grey.

Windows 10 came installed on this laptop.

I have not installed, nor can I find, any conflicting anti virus software on here.

Anyone got any ideas what I need to do please?

:)

VikkiJH, Jul 12, 2018
  2. Medyen Win User

Windows defender is turned off and won`t turn back on

Windows defender on windows 10 enterprise won`t turn on. This happened shortly after i updated it; when I try to turn it on it says:

This app has been turned off and it isn't monitoring your computer.

And right underneath it, it says:

If you are using another app for malicious and unwanted software use Security and Maintenance to check that app`s status.

Need for a response ASAP, thanks Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on :)

Medyen, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Windows defender is turned off and won`t turn back on

Did you just upgrade to Win 10?

I notice you're using Win 10 Enterprise. Are you part of a network and/or connecting to the internet via a server?

The behavior you are describing is typical if there are remnants of a third party program interfering with Windows Defender. This may occur even if WD was working okay on Win 8.1 before you upgraded to Win 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17187/windows-10-protect-your-pc
    Note the comment in this document published by Microsoft that Windows Defender automatically turns off if you install another antivirus app.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and working properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender
    listed.

Think back to what other antivirus programs have been previously installed. Do you remember which AV product came pre-installed or was previously on the computer? Maybe McAfee or Norton? Try running the removal tools for any AV
    program that has ever been on the computer and then reboot...then try enabling Windows Defender though it might be automatically enabled and working properly.

See List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

Have you tried the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    ?

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in
    this thread: Windows Defender.

Alternatively you can consider a reset which will essentially be a “clean install” of Win 10 but you’ll lose installed programs and data/pics/music that is on the computer. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Or - install a third party antimalware program (doing so should disable the real time protection of Windows Defender) and use the third party program for your antivirus protection.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Is Windows
    Defender The Best For Windows 10?
    Good article but ignore the ads.

AV Poll 2015 - Security | DSLReports Forums

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win10

Good luck...

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them.

Le Boule, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on

Jsssssssss, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on

1. Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on - Similar Threads - Defender Antivirus won't

2. 3rd party antivirus is turned on but windows defender is turned on to.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    3rd party antivirus is turned on but windows defender is turned on to.: Hi Microsoft i have a problem with Windows defender that say microsoft defneder is turned on and my 3rd party antivirus is turned on. normally my 3rd party antivirus is turned on and microsoft defender is turned off but for some reason microsoft defender turns on when my 3rd...
  3. Not able to turn on windows defender antivirus

Not able to turn on windows defender antivirus: Recently I have uninstalled an antivirus software and now when I am trying to turn on my windows defender antivirus it does not respond.What should I do ?...
  4. Turning on Windows Defender Antivirus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning on Windows Defender Antivirus: I just deleted an antivirus software from my computer, and am unable to enable windows defender antivirus.As you can see, there is no option to enable Microsoft defender antivirus....
  5. Windows Defender Antivirus won't Turn on after Uninstalling McAfee

Windows Defender Antivirus won't Turn on after Uninstalling McAfee: I uninstalled my antivirus software which is mcafee live safe and Windows defender antivirus did not become active automatically. I can't find a way to re enable it. [ATTACH] [Original Title: Windows Defender Antivirus]...
  6. Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off.: I just got a notifications that says "Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off. " When I go into Virus & threat protection its says that my virus and threat protection is managed by my organization. Which is not possible cause its my pc at home which...
  7. How to turn on window defender antivirus protection

How to turn on window defender antivirus protection: Hi there, I was trying to turn on the window defender antivirus protection on window 10. I went into service under administrative too and tried to start the antivirus protection but with an error message 577 saying: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this...
  8. Windows defender antivirus and security won't turn on, neither will real time protection.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender antivirus and security won't turn on, neither will real time protection.: I've run into an issue where Windows is telling me that I don't have permission to turn them on and I'm to "contact my local IT helpdesk" to get help. I've uninstalled malwarebytes and restarted, still won't turn back on, it just says "status: unkown" and keeps telling me to...
  9. Windows 10: Uninstalled McAfee AntiVirus but Defender Antivirus will not turn on

Windows 10: Uninstalled McAfee AntiVirus but Defender Antivirus will not turn on: After uninstalling McAfee, Windows Defender would not turn on. I've tried to restart the service but get the following error: Error 577: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is...
  10. Turning on windows defender antivirus in version1903

Turning on windows defender antivirus in version1903: My windows defender antivirus is turned off all other components are on. How do I turn on the virus protection? It says it's managed by my organization, but there is no organization. This is my home....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender antivirus wont turn on