Windows 10: Windows Defender Application Control Security Vulnerability

Discus and support Windows Defender Application Control Security Vulnerability in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A security feature bypass vulnerability exists in Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) which could allow an attacker to bypass WDAC enforcement.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Windows Defender Application Control Security Vulnerability

Source: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en.../CVE-2019-1167

:)

Brink, Jul 16, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Windows Defender Application Control enhancements in Windows 10 v1903

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/security/b...y-2019-update/

Brink, Jul 16, 2019
  3. Use Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to enable trust for executables based on classifications in the ISG, the
    Enabled:Intelligent Security Graph authorization option must be specified in the WDAC policy. This can be done with the Set-RuleOption cmdlet. In addition, it is recommended from a security perspective to also enable the
    Enabled:Invalidate EAs on Reboot option to invalidate the cached ISG results on reboot to force rechecking of applications against the ISG.

Since the ISG relies on identifying executables as being known good, there are cases where it may classify legitimate executables as unknown, leading to blocks that need to be resolved either with a rule in the WDAC policy, a catalog signed by a certificate
    trusted in the WDAC policy or by deployment through a WDAC managed installer. Typically, this is due to an installer or application using a dynamic file as part of execution. These files do not tend to
    build up known good reputation. Auto-updating applications have also been observed using this mechanism and may be flagged by the ISG.

Modern apps are not supported with the ISG heuristic and will need to be separately authorized in your WDAC policy. As modern apps are signed by the Microsoft Store and Microsoft Store for Business. It is straightforward to authorize modern apps with
    signer rules in the WDAC policy.

Enabled:Intelligent Security Graph Authorization -> Use this option to automatically allow applications with "known good" reputation as defined by Microsoft’s Intelligent Security Graph (ISG).

Enabled:Invalidate EAs on Reboot -> When the Intelligent Security Graph option (14) is used, WDAC sets an extended file attribute that indicates that the file was authorized to run. This option will cause WDAC to periodically
    re-validate the reputation for files that were authorized by the ISG.

For more information, you may refer the below articles.

If you still have questions, then I suggest you to post your query in
    IT Pro TechNet Forums
    , where we have support
    professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph.

Please feel free to contact us back, in case you have any other questions/issues with Windows in future.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 16, 2019
  4. Yukikaze Win User

WPA2 Vulnerability Found

A small update with regards to the Microsoft fix. The fix itself is sufficient to solve the issue on Windows, even if your WiFi device has no driver update, with one caveat:

Does this security update fully address these vulnerabilities on Microsoft Platforms, or do I need to perform any additional steps to be fully protected?
    The provided security updates address the reported vulnerabilities; however, when affected Windows based systems enter a connected standby mode in low power situations, the vulnerable functionality may be offloaded to installed Wi-Fi hardware. To fully address potential vulnerabilities, you are also encouraged to contact your Wi-Fi hardware vendor to obtain updated device drivers. For a listing of affected vendors with links to their documentation, review the ICASI Multi-Vendor Vulnerability Disclosure statement here: http://www.icasi.org/wi-fi-protected-access-wpa-vulnerabilities

Source: {{windowTitle}}

Yukikaze, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Application Control Security Vulnerability - Similar Threads - Defender Application Control

2. Windows defender application control blocking apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender application control blocking apps: My applications are being blocked by Windows Defender Application Control and I can't seem to turn it off. I've checked Intune policies, Group Policy, RegEdit and they are have PUA disabled, but I still can't open apps that I used to able to use....
  3. Windows defender application control blocking apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender application control blocking apps: My applications are being blocked by Windows Defender Application Control and I can't seem to turn it off. I've checked Intune policies, Group Policy, RegEdit and they are have PUA disabled, but I still can't open apps that I used to able to use....
  4. Windows defender application control blocking apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Microsoft Defender Endpoint Application Control

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Endpoint Application Control: Hi all,I would like to find out if MDE application control is capable of the following:-Monitoring of process launch attempts Can processes be blockCan processes be defined by fingerprint/hash Process exclusion based on argument regex string File read/create/delete/write...
  6. Suspected Vulnerability in Spotify Application :

Suspected Vulnerability in Spotify Application :: I think I've narrowed down the cause of this irritating virus-like worm tunneling into my computer. The only application that has been on my computer each time is the "Spotify" application. I've removed it from my systems....
  7. Suspected Vulnerability in Spotify Application :

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Suspected Vulnerability in Spotify Application :: I think I've narrowed down the cause of this irritating virus-like worm tunneling into my computer. The only application that has been on my computer each time is the "Spotify" application. I've removed it from my systems....
  8. VLC Security Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    VLC Security Vulnerability: ... A serious Vulnerability has been found in the current version of the VLC media player. It can allow an attacker to remotely view and alter data, as well as execute code, on affected systems. VideoLan is working on a fix to be incorporated into the next version of VLC,...
  9. Use Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph

Use Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph: Two questions: If I have a policy that allows an app, and I have a rule that uses ISG, which takes precedence if the app is explicitly allowed but does not have a good reputation? If I use the ISG rule, and if an essential app is blocked (e.g. Defender updates) what is the...
  10. Windows Defender Vulnerable

Windows Defender Vulnerable: Windows Defender Antivirus Still Vulnerable to Attacks Despite Patches Researcher finds RCE flaws in Windows Defender Jun 15, 2017 09:38 GMT · By Bogdan Popa · Share: Microsoft rolled out several patches for Windows Defender in order to address vulnerabilities...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wdac script enforcement

2. wdac filepathrule

3. wdac future enhancements multiple policy