Windows 10: windows defender automatically scan thumb drives

Discus and support windows defender automatically scan thumb drives in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; plugged in USB thumb drive opened windows explorer right clicked drive scan with windows defender and it said scanning pc but it never shows any... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Fungi, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Fungi Win User

windows defender automatically scan thumb drives

plugged in USB thumb drive opened windows explorer right clicked drive scan with windows defender and it said scanning pc but it never shows any options so I dont know if it scanned pc or usb for sure why or not

:)

Fungi, Feb 25, 2016
  2. tptpJL Win User

How to set up windows defender to scan removable drives automatically in Windows 10

I just switched from McAfee live safe to windows defender on my windows 10 laptop. and then i came to know that windows defender doesn't scan removable drives automatically. We need to do a scan manually every-time we connect a removable drive.

I have checked all the settings available for windows defender but couldn't find the right setting.

Please tell me if there is anyway to set up the windows defender in such a manner that it scans every removable drive automatically the moment it is connected.

tptpJL, Feb 25, 2016
  3. How do I scan a particular part - USB, for instance?

“Scan with Windows Defender” was finally put back in the right-click context menu in the latest version of Windows 10. So now you can just open
    This PC (or File Explorer), right-click on the USB drive and choose “Scan with Windows Defender”.

You can also automate a command line scan of your thumb drive with an Event Viewer Task as described in this old thread:

is there any way to scan pendrive automatically when it is inserted into laptop?

In Windows 10, the log at Event Viewer/Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/DriverFrameworks-UserMode/Operational is disabled by default – so you first have to enable the log. Then, if you
    want to see the scan result in the command prompt window, you'll have to have the task run this batch file (replace “J:\” with the path of your USB drive):

@ echo off

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File J:\

Pause

GreginMich, Feb 25, 2016
  4. windows defender automatically scan thumb drives

It scans where the right-click is focused - in this case, the USB drive

garydexter, Feb 28, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I just finished scanning my usb drive with Windows Defender.
    Right click at usb drive > click Scan with Windows Defender >
    When it starts, it looks like this...................

windows defender automatically scan thumb drives [​IMG]

When it finishes, it shows this...................

windows defender automatically scan thumb drives [​IMG]

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows defender automatically scan thumb drives

1. windows defender automatically scan thumb drives - Similar Threads - defender automatically scan

2. Windows Defender won't scan automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender won't scan automatically: I just ditched Norton 360, opting to use just Windows Security. I thought that Windows would automatically scan my computer at various times without me doing a thing. Instead, I can go over 24 hours, and find that Windows has not done any scans at all. I have to manually go...
  3. Defender to automatically scan portable drives for viruses

Defender to automatically scan portable drives for viruses: Does Defender have the option to scan for the USB drives, portable HHD, etc. for viruses? If not, please and have others upvote my feedback in the hub. https://aka.ms/AAcwf5o...
  4. Automatic Scan in Windows Defender

Automatic Scan in Windows Defender: Can Windows Defender be set to automatically scan at desired intervals?[Original Title: Windows Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/automatic-scan-in-windows-defender/f55df008-d13a-4d73-98ea-0b5ae3857f37
  5. Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender: I have Kingston Data Traveler encrypted USB thumb drive and it is blocked byWindows Defender. I enter the passcode, then the thumb drive create a different unencrypted drive but then a see a pop-up>>Please insert a disk into USB drive>> - the new drive isinaccessible. When...
  6. Scan and Repair cannot fix thumb drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Scan and Repair cannot fix thumb drive: Hello: I have a 8GB HP thumb drive with a lot of old pictures on it and it was working and then all the sudden it was not. When I plug it into the computer now (Windows 10) It says to scan and fix, I tried and it cannot fix it. It says it has problems and to try again,...
  7. Scan Thumb drive

Scan Thumb drive: CAN YOU SCAN A THUMB DRIVE? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/scan-thumb-drive/8ddb7440-d363-4537-a0ec-36555d567aa6
  8. Easy Guide: How to Scan a Thumb Drive or External Hard Disk Using Windows Defender

Easy Guide: How to Scan a Thumb Drive or External Hard Disk Using Windows Defender: This guide shows you how to scan an external storage devices such as thumb drive or external hard disk or even a partition. Easy Guides are intended to make it easy for users to follow instructions regarding basic tasks in Windows 10. Guides are a single info-graphic that...
  9. defender automatic update and scan

defender automatic update and scan: first let me say I am on a metered network....so my automatic update of windows 10 operating system is switched off...only operates on my command altho the defender update says it is automatic.i have to prompt every time....is this because of my "switched off " status.......
  10. how to cancel windows defender automatic scans?

how to cancel windows defender automatic scans?: Is there a way to have real-time protection of WD, but without the automatic scans? 52486

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender and thumb drive