Windows 10: Windows Defender AV not disabling

Discus and support Windows Defender AV not disabling in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I work for a MSP, and our client has Cylance. For some reason, Windows Defender AV will not disable. Endpoints in question: Windows 10 Pro, domain... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by James Wilmoth, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Windows Defender AV not disabling

I work for a MSP, and our client has Cylance. For some reason, Windows Defender AV will not disable.

Endpoints in question: Windows 10 Pro, domain joined

Domain functional level: Windows Server 2012 R2

My first attempt was to configure a domain GPO: Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender > Turn off Windows Defender = Enabled

I confirmed the endpoints restarted and took the GPO. However, Get-MpComputerStatus returns:

BehaviorMonitorEnabled : True

IoavProtectionEnabled : True

IsTamperProtected : True

NISEnabled : True

OnAccessProtectionEnabled : True

RealTimeProtectionEnabled : True

I then invoked: Set-MpPreference -DisableBehaviorMonitoring $True -DisableIntrusionPreventionSystem $True -DisableIOAVProtection $True -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $True -DisableScriptScanning $True -DisableArchiveScanning $True -DisableCatchupFullScan $True -DisableCatchupQuickScan $True -DisableEmailScanning $True -DisableRemovableDriveScanning $True -DisableRestorePoint $True -DisableScanningMappedNetworkDrivesForFullScan $True -DisableScanningNetworkFiles $True

But Get-MpComputerStatus still returns:

BehaviorMonitorEnabled : True

IoavProtectionEnabled : True

IsTamperProtected : True

NISEnabled : True

OnAccessProtectionEnabled : True

RealTimeProtectionEnabled : True

Please advise how to completely disable Windows Defender AV. However, please keep in mind I want to keep Windows Defender Firewall enabled.

Thanks!

:)

James Wilmoth, Jan 7, 2021

2. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 7, 2021
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Jan 7, 2021
  4. Windows Defender AV not disabling

Can't turn on Windows Defender, message that another AV program is running

I only have windows defender on my computer. It still says that another AV program is running and I cannot turn on window defender's AV.

Any suggestions??

Matt

Original title: windows defender

Matt_H_2000, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender AV not disabling

1. Windows Defender AV not disabling - Similar Threads - Defender disabling

2. Disable periodic Defender scanning when using battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable periodic Defender scanning when using battery: How can I permanently disable the periodic virus scanning of Windows Defender when powered by battery? I'm using Windows 10 22H2. Such scans are becoming increasingly frequent on my laptop sometimes observed multiple times a day, and often take place when power supply is not...
  3. Disable periodic Defender scanning when using battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable periodic Defender scanning when using battery: How can I permanently disable the periodic virus scanning of Windows Defender when powered by battery? I'm using Windows 10 22H2. Such scans are becoming increasingly frequent on my laptop sometimes observed multiple times a day, and often take place when power supply is not...
  4. Disable periodic Defender scanning when using battery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. hello i have installed an app called windows defender disabler from sordum and disabled...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hello i have installed an app called windows defender disabler from sordum and disabled...: hello i have installed an app called windows defender disabler from sordum org and disabled windows defender but cant get it back on so anyone can help me?...
  6. hello i have installed an app called windows defender disabler from sordum and disabled...

hello i have installed an app called windows defender disabler from sordum and disabled...: hello i have installed an app called windows defender disabler from sordum org and disabled windows defender but cant get it back on so anyone can help me?...
  7. Windows Defender disabled features after installing the Security Compliance Toolkit and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender disabled features after installing the Security Compliance Toolkit and...: Hello,When trying to secure my computer, I found an article suggesting to install the Windows security baseline found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55319Now, this is one of the worst things anyone can do to their personal computer. Most of the...
  8. Windows Defender disabled features after installing the Security Compliance Toolkit and...

Windows Defender disabled features after installing the Security Compliance Toolkit and...: Hello,When trying to secure my computer, I found an article suggesting to install the Windows security baseline found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55319Now, this is one of the worst things anyone can do to their personal computer. Most of the...
  9. Windows 11 - Unable to disable Windows Defender "Page not available, your IT administrator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Unable to disable Windows Defender "Page not available, your IT administrator...: So, apparently out of nowhere, Windows decided not to allow me to change my defender anti virus settings.When I got a popup saying that a dangerous file was found, as usual I knew the file was safe, I clicked the pop up so I could override the file deletion, to my surprise I...
  10. Windows 11 - Unable to disable Windows Defender "Page not available, your IT administrator...

Windows 11 - Unable to disable Windows Defender "Page not available, your IT administrator...: So, apparently out of nowhere, Windows decided not to allow me to change my defender anti virus settings.When I got a popup saying that a dangerous file was found, as usual I knew the file was safe, I clicked the pop up so I could override the file deletion, to my surprise I...