Windows 10: Windows Defender Backup - Alternatives

Discus and support Windows Defender Backup - Alternatives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I have had several crashes in the pastmostly caused by old clunky hardware, and as miraculous as it was I never sustained any major data losses.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AvidWatcher, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Windows Defender Backup - Alternatives

So, I have had several crashes in the pastmostly caused by old clunky hardware, and as miraculous as it was I never sustained any major data losses.

Mainly due to not heading Microsoft tech advice of reinstalling the system baka.

So lately I have been wondering as I have heard stories of other ppls troubles with data loss, and with the age of my PC I believe that the risk of data loss is incredibly high for me.

So in order to prevent even the tiniest possibility of losing my "precious" data, I looked up for windows backup and it's capabilities.

And though it seems like a "decent" failsafe.

I do not feel safe enough.

However memory storage is limited and I cannot afford to create more then a single backup of my files.

So I was wondering what "alternatives" or rather what is the most efficient and "safest" way to backup files?

An idea came to me that it may be best to make a backup of the system image, in order to restore the system to the same way it was at a certain point in time, rather then install a new system over it as I wasn't the most satisfied with when I had to do the other option.

While compressing my "personal" data into a zip file or the like to avoid using 2 much space.

However the problem with this is that I realized that when the time would come to re use the old data from the zipped file, it would be hard to manage it all.

I suppose that backup frequency also plays a huge role in the process.

:)

AvidWatcher, Aug 11, 2020

2. Good alternative to Windows Defender on 8.1

I had to do a format and reinstall on my main rig, and thought I may as well upgrade to 8.1. My only real gripe is my Downloads folder lagging like hell, which I've read is due to Windows Defender. Now I really like MSE/Windows Defender because it's unobtrusive and lets me do what I want to do without pissing me off. Several attempts to try another antivirus program have always resulted in me going back to MSE (either due to viral infection or general annoyance). The lagging, while not an issue per se, is annoying the hell out of me. So I'd like suggestions for a good, free alternative that will be unobtrusive, not try to block everything I want to do (I'm smart enough to know what I'm doing), and not make my PC lag even when running a schedules scan.

Thanks.

Red_Machine, Aug 11, 2020
  3. Better free alternative to microsoft defender?

Yes. Even the best solution is easily bypassed if the user opens the door and lets the bad guy in. Besides users not being "click-happy", it is critical to keep Windows and the security programs current.

When it comes to paid programs, Malwarebytes Premium is the only one I recommend. And the good news is (besides it being cheaper than most) is it plays well with other programs, including Windows Defender. For my less savvy clients, friends, and relatives, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium is what I recommend (along with regular reminders to not be "click-happy) and there have been no problems. For the more experienced and disciplined clients, friends and relatives, WD and Malwarebytes Free works.

Regardless the primary solution of choice, everyone should have a secondary scanner for at least periodic (at least weekly) on-demand scanning. And I generally recommend Malwarebytes for that.

If you choose to add Malwarebytes Premium (the real-time version) as a secondary solution along with Windows Defender, make sure you go into Malwarebytes > Settings > Application and scroll down to "Windows Action Center". Then ensure "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center" button is ticked. This will ensure Windows Defender does not step aside, the default action when an alternative real-time solution is installed.

-1 for Kaspersky. The product is good, but the Russian infiltrated company cannot be trusted. That's not me talking: Google it.

Bill_Bright, Aug 11, 2020
  4. Ludo-Poot Win User

Windows Defender Backup - Alternatives

Windows 10: Backup alternating with /E and /MIR

Original Title: Backup alternating with /E and /MIR

I'm writing a bat file for doing backup work to a external HDD with Robocopy. After reading about /eand /mir I thought I could make 2 scripts and alternate between them:

• everyday I run the bat file with /e to copy newer files and leave deleted files on the backup. So If I deleted a file from the source accidentally, I could recover it.
    • then once per month I run the script with /mir to make my backup and remove the old files that no longer exist in my source, to keep my backup size not too big and uncluttered after a while.
    These are the switches for the two scripts:

• /e /np /tee /mt /r:0 /xa:sh /log:Backup_log.txt
    • /mir /np /tee /mt /r:0 /xa:sh /log:Backup_log.txt
    Would it be a good setup like this, and alternating between the two scripts and make use of the different switches?

Ludo-Poot, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender Backup - Alternatives

1. Windows Defender Backup - Alternatives - Similar Threads - Defender Backup Alternatives

2. Windows Defender ALTERNATIVE ???

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender ALTERNATIVE ???: Hello Microsoft community,Support for a known Windows Defender addition is very much appreciated as most ignore proper utilization within the Microsoft Defender sole capabilities. Considering current desktop environment secure from insecurities, alternative adjustment is now...
  3. Any lightweight alternative to MS Defender?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any lightweight alternative to MS Defender?: [ATTACH] Hi, I have 8GB RAM so I am trying to save every bit which I can to run actual work stuff, MsMpEng.exe is the biggest consumer so I would like to get any recommendations for an alternative that is actually lightweight. Any other suggestions how I could save any...
  4. Windows Defender and Backup and Restore interaction

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender and Backup and Restore interaction: I went to do a Backup and Restore on a Windows 10 computer, only to have the backup fail with a report of malware being found. But wait!! Windows Defender is running, how does that happen? Discocvered that Defender didn't deal with a number issues, etx. But I'm...
  5. Microsoft Defender Ram Usage, low ram alternative?

Microsoft Defender Ram Usage, low ram alternative?: Hello friends, I like to game on a laptop and need all the memory power I can get. Hence I cringe when I run task manager and see ‘Antimalware Service Executable’ AKA Microsoft defender and see it uses a solid chunk of my memory in the background, all the time. I have tried...
  6. Alternative to windows defender?

Alternative to windows defender?: Windows defender is taking up to 1-3 gb of memory. i don't have scheduled scans on, is there and alternative program that wont piss me off? is this how they get you to pay for anti virus? submitted by /u/fleetii [link] [comments]...
  7. Free alternative to Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free alternative to Windows Defender?: For selection: Kaspersky Security Cloud Free and Avira Free Security Suite Considering only these two programs, which one would be better? Without assuming that the Defender is actually good enough. (Use it yourself) Which one would be better, especially in terms of...
  8. Alternatives to Windows Defragmenter

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Alternatives to Windows Defragmenter: I've seen elsewhere that the defragmenter in Windows isn't very good. Is this true? Whilst I wouldn't actually pay for a defragmenter utility, are there any free ones that anyone thinks are any good please? Thanks. 143985
  9. Windows Defender kills my backup script?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender kills my backup script?: Since about recently, Windows Defender started quietly killing my backup script. When I went to check, it gave me this: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] This is not a "dangerous and executes commands from an attacker", this is the script that I wrote myself that...
  10. Alternative (And Free) System imaging and backup programs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Alternative (And Free) System imaging and backup programs?: hi, I'm looking for an alternative to windows 7 backup and restore, ive had several problems now with it and I'm pretty sure its going to be depreciated and eventually removed in a future release of windows 10, that and i think my main hdd drive will eventually fail soon, ive...