Windows 10: Windows Defender becoming a virus!

Discus and support Windows Defender becoming a virus! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am currently spending HOURS copying files from a smaller drive in my NAS to a new larger drive. Well low and behold, Windows Defender decided I cant... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Neccros, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Windows Defender becoming a virus!

I am currently spending HOURS copying files from a smaller drive in my NAS to a new larger drive. Well low and behold, Windows Defender decided I cant handle my own files and decided to delete files that are NOT viruses and are part on some emulators and other things I have. Now I go to restore them and they come back on the source drive as ZERO byte files!!! FK O MS!!!

So how do I shut this virus off and recover my now lost files????

submitted by /u/Neccros
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Neccros, Jan 23, 2021

2. Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jan 23, 2021
  3. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jan 23, 2021
  4. Windows Defender becoming a virus!

Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

Windows Defender becoming a virus! wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender becoming a virus!

1. Windows Defender becoming a virus! - Similar Threads - Defender becoming virus

2. Windows defender virus abandoned

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender virus abandoned: my computer got infected "Trojan:Win32/Trickbot!ml" and it says abandoned what do i do how i remove that virusi need some help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-virus-abandoned/ae154b85-2100-4626-97b8-86af45aa96a2
  3. Defender Anti Virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender Anti Virus: I use windows defender/Anti Virus. It keeps telling me I have the same problems. HackTool:Win32/Wpakill.F. Which I have dealt with many times. I have Python, Git Hub, Git Bash and Visual studion code. I keep thinking that it is finding these. Am I right or wrong? Its constant...
  4. Windows Defender blocked by a virus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender blocked by a virus: Hi! The past few days I just got a virus really don't know how it was a Trojan and it totally disabled my defender. Also sometimes my windows defender works sometimes not I just restarted my windows and it worked but 3 or 4 hours later it again disables itself. When it worked...
  5. Virus Detected by Windows Defender

Virus Detected by Windows Defender: Split from this thread. I have the same virus detected by my windows defender was detected 50 minutes ago. I don't own any of the apps you have installed that might have caused it but that happened to me. I own a Surface Pro 6, i don't know what to do so please help me....
  6. windows defender virus definition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows defender virus definition: Have upate from windows 7 to windows 10. When trying to update my Virus and spyware definitions it shows me internet or network security problems. However all other windows updates are working fine, except for which i suspect is part of the problem the following. Security...
  7. Windows defender trojan virus..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender trojan virus..: I kind of accidently installed a virus called Trojan Splitgate which thankfully windows defender recognises and stops but it must have a way to keep itself running because defender stops it every 10 mins. Is there any way to figure out the source of the virus like using...
  8. Virus protection on windows defender

Virus protection on windows defender: My virus protection on windows defender will not scan as it states that I am using another provider although I have not subscribed to any other provider . This is a recent occurrence (2 days) . Any ideas?...
  9. Windows defender Virus Protection

Windows defender Virus Protection: I had uninstalled Third Party Antivirus Software after its validy After that I can not able to switch on Windows Defender Virus Protection . It is showing message your virus and protection is managed by your organization Pl help to restore the setting by switching on...
  10. Windows Defender becomes a hidden icon and stays

Windows Defender becomes a hidden icon and stays: I have Windows Defender set to not show on the taskbar and it normally doesn't show in any form however when I launch the program or do a scan, the "show hidden icon" arrow will appear on the taskbar and if I click it, the Windows defender icon is there. Once I'm done with...