Windows 10: Windows Defender behaving oddly...

Discus and support Windows Defender behaving oddly... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. Several manual attempts to run Defender in Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 7280 (RAM 16g and SSD at 65% capacity) resulted in only 15 files being... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dsn101, Sep 17, 2019.

1. dsn101 Win User

Windows Defender behaving oddly...

Hi.

Several manual attempts to run Defender in Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 7280 (RAM 16g and SSD at 65% capacity) resulted in only 15 files being scanned using both Quick and Full scan modes.

Windows, Defender and all updates appear to be current.

Defender was set for regular periodic scans. I decided to initiate a manual scan because after a restart, the system hesitated while responding to keyboard commands innocuous as screen brightening.

I can't say I've ever encountered such Windows Security behavior.

No other antivirus lives on the system. Only HouseCall has been run in the past, but not recently.

Please be so kind as to opine.

Thank you.

:)

dsn101, Sep 17, 2019
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Explorer Behaving oddly

Hi Alexander,

There may be an issue with your current user profile that is why you're experiencing the issue. Just to clarify, were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the issue? We suggest that you create a new user account for us to know if the
    issue will also occur while using a new profile. To create a new account, follow these steps:

• Right click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the command prompt window, type net user [username] /add, and then press
      Enter.
    • In the command prompt window again, type net localgroup administrators
      [username] /add
      , and then press Enter.
    • Sign out to your current user account, and then sign in to the new account.
    • Check if the issue will occur on the new account.

We'll be waiting for the result.

Argel Obm, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Explorer Behaving oddly

Your current user profile may have accumulated a large amount of Temporary files and Thumbnails that is why your files are not appearing properly in File Explorer. We suggest that you clear the Temporary files and Thumbnails using the
    Disk Cleanup program. To know how to use Disk Cleanup, follow the steps
    here.

Let us know the outcome after deleting the Temporary files and Thumbnails.

Argel Obm, Sep 17, 2019
  4. tcebob Win User

DVD drive behaving oddly

Well, my DVD drive has been behaving oddly of late. I use it mostly for audio playback with my aging but still great CDs and occasionally for trying to make a bootable DVD ISO. (So far, no luck.) But after the system goes to sleep and reawakens the drive is invisible and cannot be used without rebooting. After reboot it takes about a minute (with a disk loaded) to be recognized, after which Winamp takes over and the music plays. The system apparently does not recognize blank DVDs, which makes using them awkward.

That's part of the problem. The other part is that, somehow, I have acquired a drive (EWindows Defender behaving oddly... :) CD Drive. This is not listed in diskmgmt.msc but appears in File Explorer and Total Commander. Clicking on it produces a "drive not found" message. The normal (JWindows Defender behaving oddly... :) DVD RW DRIVE - Audio CD Is present.

So 1. How can I tame the DVD drive to respond to a disk after sleep?
    and 2. How can I get rid of (EWindows Defender behaving oddly... :) CD Drive?

I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\Sources\Install.esd:1 and SFC /scannow successfully.

tcebob, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender behaving oddly... - Similar Threads - Defender behaving oddly

2. MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 BEHAVING ODD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 BEHAVING ODD.: MY MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 IS BEHAVING ODD. WHEN I GO INTO AN AIRCAFT COCKPIT, THE ENTIRE VIEW IS SPINNING ANTI CLOCK WISE AND CAN'T SEEM TO STOP IT. ANY IDEAS PLEASE?...
  3. MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 BEHAVING ODD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 BEHAVING ODD.: MY MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 IS BEHAVING ODD. WHEN I GO INTO AN AIRCAFT COCKPIT, THE ENTIRE VIEW IS SPINNING ANTI CLOCK WISE AND CAN'T SEEM TO STOP IT. ANY IDEAS PLEASE?...
  4. Windows behaving oddly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows behaving oddly: Hi My PC froze while playing a game and after restart the windows 10 has been acting weird. First it takes long to login and the screen goes from black to back and windows keeps reopening file manager. And now when that is over when I click the startup button or the search...
  5. Windows 10 behaves oddly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 behaves oddly: I am on the latest build. And suddenly its started behaving strangely. Keyboard doesn't works properly, tried changing keyboard and tried on screen keyboard but not working. It thought it could be a malware found some suspicious apps deleted them but still probelm not solved....
  6. Odd exclusions in Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Odd exclusions in Windows Defender: Hi all. I just ran a quick scan as I frequently do and discovered a bunch of exclusions that I did not add with the exception of the one for Malwarebytes. Did Windows do this itself? Can these be safely removed? Lastly since I mentioned it, is the Malwarebytes exclusion...
  7. DVD drive behaving oddly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive behaving oddly: Well, my DVD drive has been behaving oddly of late. I use it mostly for audio playback with my aging but still great CDs and occasionally for trying to make a bootable DVD ISO. (So far, no luck.) But after the system goes to sleep and reawakens the drive is invisible and...
  8. Windows Explorer behaves oddly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer behaves oddly: When I double click on a drive or directory, normally Explorer shows the contents. Now it displays a message this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed, create an association in the...
  9. Why is my Windows 10 system behaving oddly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is my Windows 10 system behaving oddly?: My Windows 10 machine is playing up and do really weird things: * Start menu intermittently pops up * Application enters and exits full screen * Mouse cursor intermittently shows up in full screen mode Thank you in advance. 56315
  10. Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly.

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly.: I have 'Fast Start' enabled in power options. It is ticked as being on. That said it is only fair to say that I deliberately did have it turned off while initially clean installing and setting up FCU a couple of weeks ago. So... a few days ago I turned it back on and...