Windows 10: Windows Defender Blocking FTP

Discus and support Windows Defender Blocking FTP in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've added FTP and FTP Server via "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall". I'm able to get to the ftp site with the local computer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ronk64, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Ronk64 Win User

Windows Defender Blocking FTP

I've added FTP and FTP Server via "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall". I'm able to get to the ftp site with the local computer, but am unable to reach it with another computer on the same private network. However; if I turn off the firewall for the private network on the computer hosting the ftp site, then I can reach the ftp site from the other computer. What am I missing?

:)

Ronk64, Jan 16, 2022

2. Windows Defender Firewall + Windows FTP Server

Why is windows defender firewall disobeying my firewall rules?

• Enabled Windows FTP Servers via Windows 10 Features.
    • Rules are in the firewall allowing FTP access for both passive & control (rules were injected through enabling the service).
    • FTP packets are dropped by the firewall still (confirmed in the logs) but no rule is given, just "DROP".
    • This is over a VPN that is being detected as "Unidentified Network" thus putting the interfaces in the "Public" zone.
    • FTP rules apply to all three zones (Public, Private, and Domain).
    • Turning off Windows Defender Firewall for the specific zone allows the FTP transaction.
    • There are no rules denying this traffic in the list.

BANDWICHES, Jan 16, 2022
  3. The Microsoft (Hotspot) wi-fi direct virtual adapter is blocking FTP

Hi Support,

I have encountered an unexpected problem when using the Windows 10 Hotspot feature. When I connect to the hotspot using another Win 10 system everything works as normal except it blocks the FTP protocol.

I have an application that connects to a website using FTP, it has run with no problems for 5+ years. I now have a situation where I am using a Win 10 laptop to boost the signal of a wi-fi router in another building. It is located to get the best signal and it works fine, it broadcasts a strong signal allowing other devices to use it.

However, when connecting to the Win 10 Hotspot the FTP protocol is blocked, everything else runs as normal
    I have confirmed:

• I can FTP as normal if I connect to the same router as the Win 10 system that is step up with the hotspot.
    • If I connect to the Win 10 hotspot FTP is blocked.

This is the first time I've used the hotspot feature in Win 10, I really like it and it's ideal for my situation but the FTP problem limits how much I can use it.

All other protocols work as normal, it's as if a rule somewhere is set to block FTP if passing through the Microsoft (Hotspot) wi-fi direct virtual adapter.

See attached images for the status of the hotspot adapters, they both have the following settings.

IPv4Connectvity: Internet
    IPv6Connectvity: No network access

I can FTP from the system with the hotspot setup using the built-in wi-fi adapter with no problems, it's only when I connect via the hotspot that FTP gets blocked.

I've tried a few things to change the IPv6Connectvity but no success so far. Also, if this was the problem why only block FTP and allow all other protocols and why does the built-in wi-fi adapter allow FTP as normal yet it displays IPv6Connectvity: No network access?

It's easy to try and reproduce this condition, all you need is two Win 10 systems and an FTP account on the web.

• Setup Laptop1 to connect to Router1 and also set up a hotspot called Hotspot1.
    • On Laptop2 connect to Router1 and use the command-line FTP client to log in to your FTP server.
    • There should be no problems doing this.
    • Next on Laptop2 connect to Hotspot1 and try to log in again to your FTP account.

If this fails then you will have reproduced the same failure.

Note:

• I am using ACER Win 10 laptops that are fully updated.
    • All the ACER laptops use the built-in Windows Firewall and Security Centre.
    • When connecting to the Hotspot both Outlook and OneDrive detect it as a metered connection and prompt you to confirm you wish to still connect. When you confirm you still want to connect everything runs as normal.
    • This problem occurs at two different locations that use different laptops, routers, and broadband provider (UK: EE & Virgin)

I have not been able to try this on a non-ACER laptop so that would be useful to do but my testing so far has isolated the problem to only when connecting via the Hotspot.

So, in summary.

• When connecting to a Windows 10 Hotspot all other applications run as normal except for FTP.
    • I have confirmed this on separate laptops (though they are all ACER) and two different routers and broadband providers at different locations.

It would be great if someone could test this on non-ACER laptops and another broadband provider. If the problem is present then it would suggest this issue is widespread but I've not been able to find anyone else who's experienced this problem.
    thanks,Phill.

Windows Defender Blocking FTP [​IMG]

thedaxdaytrader, Jan 16, 2022
  4. mikenyc Win User

Windows 10 Defender blocking FTP connections to FileZilla Server

Eagle51,
    Then how is it working when I take down Defender for the public domain? Or if I change the default for inbound by make inbound always work.

My client is using port 21. So if there is a conflict with IIS FTP, wouldn't it still block Filezinna with Defender off for public domain?

mikenyc, Jan 16, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Blocking FTP - Similar Threads - Defender Blocking FTP

2. block inbound ftp connections on windows devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    block inbound ftp connections on windows devices: I need to block inbound ftp connections for our endpoints using Microsoft Defender Firewall Rules in Microsoft Intune admin center. The basic requirement is that if a user installs an FTP server service locally using any FTP software FileZilla.IIS, etc.., no one should be...
  3. block inbound ftp connections on windows devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    block inbound ftp connections on windows devices: I need to block inbound ftp connections for our endpoints using Microsoft Defender Firewall Rules in Microsoft Intune admin center. The basic requirement is that if a user installs an FTP server service locally using any FTP software FileZilla.IIS, etc.., no one should be...
  4. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  5. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  6. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows Defender Blocking FTP

Windows Defender Blocking FTP: I've added FTP and FTP Server via "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall". I'm able to get to the ftp site with the local computer, but am unable to reach it with another computer on the same private network. However; if I turn off the firewall for the...
  8. Windows Defender Firewall + Windows FTP Server

Windows Defender Firewall + Windows FTP Server: Why is windows defender firewall disobeying my firewall rules? Enabled Windows FTP Servers via Windows 10 Features. Rules are in the firewall allowing FTP access for both passive & control rules were injected through enabling the service. FTP packets are dropped by the...
  9. windows defender blocks programs

in Windows 10 Support
    windows defender blocks programs: After last update my Open Office programs will not save any changes. My Quicken 17 will not save changes. I disabled windows defender and everything seemed to work. Asus Laptop with SSD drive and 8 mem Is MS aware of this and will it be fixed soon. Do I need to buy a new...
  10. Windows 10 Defender blocking FTP connections to FileZilla Server

Windows 10 Defender blocking FTP connections to FileZilla Server: Hi, I am running Wnidows 10 with a FileZilla Server. I cannot connect to the server when inbound rules are set to default (no rule, no access). If I set inbound rules to "allow", i can connect to the FileZilla Server. Inbound rules Name Profile Enabled Action Override...