Windows 10: Windows Defender blocks scanner

Discus and support Windows Defender blocks scanner in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10. Dell laptop. I can scan using software on laptop, but not using "scan" button on Brother printer/scanner HL-L2390DW. Brother support... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Larryq22, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Larryq22 Win User

Windows Defender blocks scanner

Windows 10. Dell laptop.

I can scan using software on laptop, but not using "scan" button on Brother printer/scanner HL-L2390DW.

Brother support showed how Defender is blocking the scan button function it works when I disable Defender. I would prefer not to disable Defender each time I scan something. Does anyone know how to allow this scanner through Defender?

Thanks,

Larry

:)

Larryq22, Jun 2, 2020

2. What are some good free malware, adware, etc. scanners??

AVG Free is good. I use it on my computer and my file server too. And Windows defender is great for a free real time scanner that's not intrusive, but I suggest using Spybot Search and Destroy with Defender.

beyond_amusia, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Windows Defender is blocking too much saying it viruses

Hi Sam,

Based on the screenshot that you've provided, Controlled Folder Access is turned on, blocking most apps that you're using. We suggest that you turn it off to allow blocked apps in Windows Defender. Follow the steps below:

• Select Start > Settings.
    • Choose Update & security > Windows Defender.
    • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.
    • Once done, try accessing the apps and see if you can now access them.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Anne Ros, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Defender blocks scanner - Similar Threads - Defender blocks scanner

2. Windows Defenders blocks MBAMService.exe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defenders blocks MBAMService.exe: From today, when I start a scan with Malwarebytes ver 4.5.6. Windows Defenders blocks the access to the memory at MBAMService.exe. It's in italian, but I hope you can understand.What should I do? I already tried to scan both with Malwarebytes and Windows Defenders, and there...
  3. curl.exe blocked by Windows defender

curl.exe blocked by Windows defender: So I found a Mega link while I was browsing, but just because it was from an unofficial and http website, I decided to add a few folder to Ransomware protected folders in Windows defender, and I researched if a virus can get embedded in a jpg or mp4 or mkv file and I found...
  4. Windows Defender blocked svchost.exe

Windows Defender blocked svchost.exe: Hello! I have a problem possibly related to malware. I have recently tried installing Davinci Resolve 17 from their official website, blackmagicdesign.com, and, while installing, I got a notification from from Windows Defender saying that it’s controlled folder access had...
  5. Windows Defender blocked by a virus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender blocked by a virus: Hi! The past few days I just got a virus really don't know how it was a Trojan and it totally disabled my defender. Also sometimes my windows defender works sometimes not I just restarted my windows and it worked but 3 or 4 hours later it again disables itself. When it worked...
  6. The website is blocked by Windows Defender

The website is blocked by Windows Defender: My newly registered site is incorrectly flagged as a phishing site and blocked.VirusTotal scanning and Google Safe Browsing - Google Transparency Report is negative.I reported at https://feedback.smartscreen.microsoft.com that this site does not contain any signs of a...
  7. Windows Defender blocked nvcontainer.exe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender blocked nvcontainer.exe: [ATTACH] Why my windows defender blocked this? Every time I turn on my pc, it always gave me this notification. And I don't have idea what is Tdbswd56spcap. Should I allow this? Anyone can explain?...
  8. windows defender blocks programs

in Windows 10 Support
    windows defender blocks programs: After last update my Open Office programs will not save any changes. My Quicken 17 will not save changes. I disabled windows defender and everything seemed to work. Asus Laptop with SSD drive and 8 mem Is MS aware of this and will it be fixed soon. Do I need to buy a new...
  9. Windows Defender blocking PUA?

Windows Defender blocking PUA?: Few questions about blocking PUA in Windows Defender. I enabled the prevention or blocking of PUAs and would like to ask how intrusive the notifications are? Are there a lot of false positives? I only download and install apps which I really need, no Java installed and...
  10. Windows Defender blocks Wampserver

Windows Defender blocks Wampserver: Ever since enabling Windows Defender on Windows 10 (version 1803 build 17134.112), Wampserver won't run. This after I enabled Windows Defender > Virus & threat protection > Ransomware protection > Controlled folder access : On I have excluded the entire folder where...