Windows 10: Windows Defender bug fills Windows 10 boot drive with thousands of files

Discus and support Windows Defender bug fills Windows 10 boot drive with thousands of files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/famaminores [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/famaminores, May 5, 2021.

1. Windows Defender bug fills Windows 10 boot drive with thousands of files

/u/famaminores, May 5, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 5, 2021
  3. sttubs Win User
    Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, May 5, 2021
  4. Windows Defender bug fills Windows 10 boot drive with thousands of files

Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender bug fills Windows 10 boot drive with thousands of files

1. Windows Defender bug fills Windows 10 boot drive with thousands of files - Similar Threads - Defender bug fills

2. windows defender bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender bug: hi, I have a problem in two ways, I'm currently using Windows 11 Pro and on Windows Defender I have a problem with identity theft protection, it doesn't work for me when I'm off, but it should be on and in safe mode it says explorer.exe system warning unknown hard error,...
  3. windows defender bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows defender bug: hi, I have a problem in two ways, I'm currently using Windows 11 Pro and on Windows Defender I have a problem with identity theft protection, it doesn't work for me when I'm off, but it should be on and in safe mode it says explorer.exe system warning unknown hard error,...
  4. Windows Defender Bugged?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender Bugged?: I recently did a fast scan with Defender and it showed a highly dangerous file. I deleted it and restarted the PC but the Defender still showed it when I did another scan. I check the folder and the file is no more and Defender still warns me how that threat is "active". And...
  5. Microsoft fixes Windows 10 Defender bug generating thousands of files

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft fixes Windows 10 Defender bug generating thousands of files: According to user reports and our tests, Windows Defender is dropping thousands of files on the system drive of Windows 10. The problem has been widely reported by users who have discovered that a faulty Windows Defender update is responsible for the mess. Microsoft Defender...
  6. Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files: If you are using a device with Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system and Windows Defender as the default security solution, you may be impacted by a bug that is filling the hard drive with files. Windows Defender puts thousands of files in the folder...
  7. Boot drive filled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot drive filled: I have a 256gb nvme ssd to boot windows and a select few other applications (steam, epic games launcher, corsair icue, etc...) and a select other few applications that are relatively small, somehow I only have 16 gb left even though I know I have almost nothing installed on...
  8. Windows 10 Temp folder filling up with thousands of files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Temp folder filling up with thousands of files: I have been having issues with the Disk going to 100% and basically making my Windows 10 system (Version 1903 OS Build 18362.720) unusable. I tried many many potential solutions to no avail. Search the internet many times. I notice when I ran antivirus scan, the disk usage...
  9. My drive keeps filling with thousands of tmp files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My drive keeps filling with thousands of tmp files: My hard drives keeps filling with tmp files, I try deleting them but within a couple of hours they're all back again and when I say filling up, I mean filling up 30,000 of them got deleted at the last count. I've tried the microsoft store fix that was issued as a potential...
  10. Windows defender bug

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender bug: Since, when I uninstalled McAfee, there is a bug in the windows defender which cause the problem for him to show nothing, no buttons. It also correlates to the windows update problem because it is not updating. I need immediate help because it could allow viruses. I posted...