Windows 10: Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files

Discus and support Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you are using a device with Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system and Windows Defender as the default security solution, you may be impacted by a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 5, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files

If you are using a device with Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system and Windows Defender as the default security solution, you may be impacted by a bug that is filling the hard drive with files.

Windows Defender puts thousands of files in the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Store if a device is affected by the issue. More than 10,800 items were placed in the folder on a test system running Windows 10 version 20H2. Other users reported over 950,000 files over the course of a 24 hour period and 30 Gigabytes of storage occupied by the files. Most files are small in size, between 1 and 2 Kilobytes.

The bug may affect certain operations, such as synchronization or backup tasks. Backups and syncs may take longer to complete, and may occupy more space. Storage devices may also be filled up quickly, depending on the severity of the experienced issue on a device.

Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files windows-defender-bug-file-creation.png

Several Microsoft Answers threads exist in which Windows users and server administrators report the issue. It is affecting a wide variety of Windows versions, and not only Windows 10 according to these reports. Windows versions mentioned include Windows Server 2021 R2, Windows Server 2016 and 2019, and Windows 10.

Since it is a Windows Defender bug, it is likely that all Windows versions may be affected by the issue. In other words, it does not depend on the operating system but the Windows Defender version.

Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files windows-defender-version.png

The affected engine version is 18100.5, the fixed engine version appears to be 18100.6. You can verify the version of Windows Defender on Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Open Windows Security > Settings icon > About. Microsoft may release the fixed version this Thursday.

One workaround at the time of writing is to delete the files that are in the folder. Note that new files will be added to the folder by Windows Defender until the issue is fixed by an update. Some users reported that turning off realtime protections will also stop the production of the files.

Note that you need administrative rights to open the folder, and that some folders may be hidden by default.

To sum it up:

• Windows Defender has a bug that places lots of files into the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Store.
    • Microsoft will release a fix soon for the issue.
    • The files can be deleted.

Now You: Are you affected by the issue? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 5, 2021
  2. Drone Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, May 5, 2021
  3. little cat, May 5, 2021
  4. Platibus Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Defender bug may fill your hard drive with thousands of files - Similar Threads - Defender bug may

2. Temp files fill hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temp files fill hard drive: Hi. I just bought a new HP desktop with Win 11. Imagine my surprise to find my 237gb SSD drive is filled with 198gb of temporary and system files which I apparently can't remove. I already deleted a 19gb Windows.old file. How can I get rid of the rest of the stuff crowding my...
  3. Temp files fill hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp files fill hard drive: Hi. I just bought a new HP desktop with Win 11. Imagine my surprise to find my 237gb SSD drive is filled with 198gb of temporary and system files which I apparently can't remove. I already deleted a 19gb Windows.old file. How can I get rid of the rest of the stuff crowding my...
  4. Microsoft fixes Windows 10 Defender bug generating thousands of files

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft fixes Windows 10 Defender bug generating thousands of files: According to user reports and our tests, Windows Defender is dropping thousands of files on the system drive of Windows 10. The problem has been widely reported by users who have discovered that a faulty Windows Defender update is responsible for the mess. Microsoft Defender...
  5. Windows Defender bug fills Windows 10 boot drive with thousands of files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender bug fills Windows 10 boot drive with thousands of files: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/famaminores [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/n5vpa2/windows_defender_bug_fills_windows_10_boot_drive/
  6. Windows Updates Filling Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates Filling Hard Drive: I've got a problem that is occuring sporadically where Windows Updates will fill a drive to capacity - when we dig into the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder we inevitably find one update that just has dozens of copies of the update and they keep coming. Some of the PCs...
  7. Windows 10 Temp folder filling up with thousands of files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Temp folder filling up with thousands of files: I have been having issues with the Disk going to 100% and basically making my Windows 10 system (Version 1903 OS Build 18362.720) unusable. I tried many many potential solutions to no avail. Search the internet many times. I notice when I ran antivirus scan, the disk usage...
  8. My drive keeps filling with thousands of tmp files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My drive keeps filling with thousands of tmp files: My hard drives keeps filling with tmp files, I try deleting them but within a couple of hours they're all back again and when I say filling up, I mean filling up 30,000 of them got deleted at the last count. I've tried the microsoft store fix that was issued as a potential...
  9. Hard drive filling up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive filling up: Each night my hard drive fills up. I can't figure out where the free space is going. I can clear off 5 gigs, but the next morning there is a 'low disk space' error.. How can I find where the empty space is being used? Can I search by newest file created? 106834
  10. Hard drive filled with invisible files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard drive filled with invisible files.: My C:\ drive, which holds the Windows 10 OS, programs data/files and a little bit of user data, shows that I have used roughly 600gb of space (first image below) on a 1TB SSD. When I use WinDirStat to see what's on that drive, it shows that I have about 120gb of data on it...